What's new

A satisfactory progression

This started when my nani12 was broken, and I started shopping around. I ended up improving the entire progression.

Shapton Glass 1k High Rockwell, 4k High Rockwell, 8k High Carbon, Naniwa SS 12k 20mm.

To give it a good test, I tested it out on a plain GD. A good one though, no defects and a nice straight bevel on it.

It was a real pleasure to work on these stones. The High Rockwells get the job done quickly. And the last two stones have lots of nice feedback and stiction.

I decided to finish this one on balsa.

Happily, it shaved very well.

The photo of the stones shows, from the left, Atoma diamond plate with 400 one side, 1200 the other. Then the three Shaptons and then the Nani.

IMG_1142.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

Good set up. Very similar to my own. I have an Atoma 400/1200 combo set up too. Very handy when you don’t feel like breaking out the surface plate and WD.

I go:

Shapton Glass 1k High Rockwell
Shapton Glass 3k High Rockwell
Shapton Glass 8k High Carbon
Natural (Jnat, Coticule, Thuri or Ark)
Balsa (optional) 0.5u, 0.25u, 0.1u

Good set up. Very similar to my own. I have an Atoma 400/1200 combo set up too. Very handy when you don’t feel like breaking out the surface plate and WD.

I go:

Shapton Glass 1k High Rockwell
Shapton Glass 3k High Rockwell
Shapton Glass 8k High Carbon
Natural (Jnat, Coticule, Thuri or Ark)
Balsa (optional) 0.5u, 0.25u, 0.1u

Yes, very similar.

I go to the nani12 and from that, pick my finisher. jnat, coti, black ark or balsa. Sometimes out of curiosity I'll overwrite a razor to another finishing natural.

I have found using naturals to progress somewhat hard and uncertain. Using the certainty of synths to progress upward is so much more certain and doable.

So I am only using naturals to finish, not to progress.

Judging from what I see in the forums, I think many folk are going that way. Ten years ago the talk was all about coti slurry progressions. I don't see as much of that now, and I think it's because the synths have become so good.

Top Bottom