What's new

A question about vintage colognes/aftershaves

Should you buy vintage colognes or aftershaves? I have read of some people here buying vintage Shulton bottles of Old Spice, and I think people buy vintage colognes too. I have also heard that you should throw out a cologne after 3 years. So why purchase vintage colognes? Do they still smell good and strong after more than 3 years?

I have bought several vintage colognes and they smell like they did back in the day, at least the best that I remember....

There's no reason whatsoever to throw out a cologne after three years.

If colognes are properly stored, well-made fragrances can last a lifetime. I noticed you mentioned vintage Old Spice, I'm a huge fan. I have a bottle from 1984 as well as smaller bottles of aftershave and cologne from 1988. They came in original packaging and smell and perform just as they should. I like vintage Old Spice better than the new, actually.

Some bottles I have of my father's and grandfather's are 20-30 years old and smell just as they should. Some fragrances actually get better with time; storage is the key. Keep them out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry place and you shouldn't have any problems.

If colognes are properly stored, well-made fragrances can last a lifetime. I noticed you mentioned vintage Old Spice, I'm a huge fan. I have a bottle from 1984 as well as smaller bottles of aftershave and cologne from 1988. They came in original packaging and smell and perform just as they should. I like vintage Old Spice better than the new, actually.

Some bottles I have of my father's and grandfather's are 20-30 years old and smell just as they should. Some fragrances actually get better with time; storage is the key. Keep them out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry place and you shouldn't have any problems.

Well said sir!

Well said, sir! Guerlain's Derby was discontinued in 1985 and still smells incredible!

+1. I have some at least 30 years old that hasn't degraded at all.

I agree. if properly stored (out of the sun, cool temp) in the original glass or metal container, they can last a long long time.

However, I have decants in plastic containers that have gone bad. I decanted a large splash bottle of Jovan Grass Oil Cologne into a plastic travel spray bottle made of white cloudy translucent plastic (the type milk comes in). After a couple of months, I could barely smell the scent. I then used glass or the hard clear plastic spray bottles and didn't seem to have that problem again.

I've begun to really appreciate colognes/perfumes made before 1970. They have more dimension and "heft" to their scents.

A quality perfume that's been carefully stored can be good for a long time. I have a partial bottle of Early American Old Spice (from the 1930s) and it still smells very nice. It may not have quite the strength it did, but it certainly hasn't gone bad.

Top Bottom