What's new

A New Generation 4 Synthetic Brush - Introducing the Frank Shaving Pur-Tech

Gary-

Thanks for all the very helpful information. I'ts getting more and more difficult to ignore the synthetics, and I'm inching closer to picking one up. With all the innovation and new products hitting the market, do you think it is worthwhile to wait a few months (I'm in no hurry) for better releases or will these current Gen. 4 releases remain top dog for awhile. To give you a point of reference, my favorite brush is a Chubby 2 Super. Something like that in a synthetic with a bit more backbone would be nirvana.

Jeff

I bought an FS Synth last July as a traveler. On many a time I've mentiond how soft it is, how easy to lather on the face with either soaps, cream or croaps. Now while mine is a mere 26/54 it looks just like the newer ones,
$FS synth.jpg
It came with a stand which does fit, and is a real nice faux horn chubby style. It's so soft that it's been in the rotation since 2012. Only recently with all my brushes being left out while I break in my new Kent H8. Also the price was alot less than the current model. If I remember right it was arund £28 inc P+P. :biggrin1:

Thanks for this and for so many excellent reviews of the synthetics. Connaught continues to have excellent prices on Muhle synthetics, but I don't know if they include the newest generation of fibers.

Gary-

Thanks for all the very helpful information. I'ts getting more and more difficult to ignore the synthetics, and I'm inching closer to picking one up. With all the innovation and new products hitting the market, do you think it is worthwhile to wait a few months (I'm in no hurry) for better releases or will these current Gen. 4 releases remain top dog for awhile. To give you a point of reference, my favorite brush is a Chubby 2 Super. Something like that in a synthetic with a bit more backbone would be nirvana.

Jeff

If you like the Chubby, the Frank Shaving will be the closest match. This one is so dense that backbone is not an issue, it has plenty.

Well, it has been a few days of use and the FS Pur-Tech is performing as it should. I decided today to test using Wilkinson Sword Stick and swirling the stick over the wet brush and face lathering with only that amount of soap. I was able to make two face passes and a full head pass. The brush was very efficient and easy to use in the face lathering mode. Easy to hold and maneuver around the face and head.

proxy.php

Well here is one last shot for this week and some thoughts after a week of testing.

proxy.php

The Frank Shaving Pur-Tech is a well built example of a Generation 4 fiber brush. No fibers shed in the week of testing and the handle and knot are both solidly fitted. This is an "off the shelf" item that did not meet the written specifications as advertised. However, even though there is a glue bump and the loft was not to advertised specifications, it did not affect the quality of lathering whatsoever. This was very effective and efficient in both face lathering and bowl lathering. Product requirements were reduced while still producing more than sufficient amounts of lather in each shave.

Two major questions for this brush that were answered in testing are:

Did the brush perform as advertised overall, i.e., same quality fibers as a Muhle? The answer to that is from my experience with both brushes, yes.

Did the brush perform to the price point? Yes, but the price at 60 USD is still off putting to some. Perhaps if the price was 45 - 50 USD it would be much more appealing to some who do not believe that FS should charge over 50 USD for any brush.

All in all, it was a enjoyable brush which has earned a spot in my rotation.

It seems that FS is using this fiber in more and more of its synthetic offerings. I have seen some in 24 mm as well as the 28 mm as reviewed.

Hi guys. I checked FS website and does not show this chubby model. I also checked eBay. If someone could please give me directions about where to buy, i'd appreciate it! (by PM of course).

Thanks!

Thanks GD, i'll drop an email on them. I also found one similar to the one you reviews in other of their online stores, but have confusing directions, in one part of the ad says 26mm knot, in other 28mm knot, i'll also ask them about that.

BDW, i once got a silvertip brush, very similar to this, one of FS' most expensive models. Used 4 or 5 times then stopped because of the copious hair shed. Did you have any similar issue with this chubby?

I went ahead and ordered by email a 24x52 Pur-Tech. 43 bucks shipped. A 21x52 Muhle would coste me 70 bucks shipped. I'll get a V2.0 Muhle one day, but have to give FS another shot and being able to ask for custom sizes is nice.

I let you guys know if had success with that brush.

I just got the 24mm Pur-Tech from a guy on the bay. I've used it three straight days and I like it a lot. I lathers everything, even stuff I have trouble with. Bowl or face lathering, just as good.

The glue bump is where in the process of creating the base of the knot, glue or epoxy will creep up the hairs and effectively reduce loft by making the lower, open part of the knot solid. Unless it is very wide and creates a bulge at the base of where the knot leaves the handle, most people will not immediately notice it, but more experience users will try to find out how long it is using calipers or other measuring devices.

Glue bumps are not always your enemy or your ally. Knots with longer glue bumps tend to have fewer shorts (hairs that did not make it into the base) that shed. Glue bumps also help to provide flair for synthetic knots since they don't bloom like naturals. Glue bumps can also take a knot that you might want to optimize for bowl lathering or have a more springy (floppy) feel and restrict it to a shorter loft with will push performance to a face lathering mode. So there is good and bad in glue bumps depending upon what the maker is trying to achieve and the user is wanting to experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom