What's new

A Great Shave with a $10 Tech

Last week on BST the seller had several razors for sale, one of which was a target razor for me. I made an offer on the target razor and tossed 2 Techs in the offer to make it a better deal for the seller and reduce the price of my target razor. The Techs were $10.00 user grade razors. The 3 razors arrived yesterday and went through my normal clean-up and sanitation process and placed in the drawer for a more detailed polish later.

This morning I decided to try the late 40's fat handle tech for no other reason than to just try it before I put it up for sale in an inexpensive lot to reduce the den numbers. I had no expectation as to the shave I could achieve with my newly acquired $10.00 razor, I was just curious.

So I loaded it up with a Sharp Edge (yellow) blade and proceeded to clean up 36 hours of whiskers. Wow, all I can say is wow. Wow because I was shaving with a $10.00 user grade razor and wow because I had a very easy DFS/BBS. The shave was accomplished with very little thought as to blade angle, pressure or speed. I just lathered up and in 3 easy passes had a great shave. Understand my wow because this razor was sitting next to my $190.00 modern razor. If this was the only razor manufactured today I could get buy shaving with the Gillette Tech.

This weekend it will get the polish it deserves and a place in the den. Very nice surprise.

Tech.jpg

Very nice write-up, I'm glad you like the Fat Handled Tech. It is a marvel of engineering to some, myself included. It does its job very well, enjoy!

Last week on BST the seller had several razors for sale, one of which was a target razor for me. I made an offer on the target razor and tossed 2 Techs in the offer to make it a better deal for the seller and reduce the price of my target razor. The Techs were $10.00 user grade razors. The 3 razors arrived yesterday and went through my normal clean-up and sanitation process and placed in the drawer for a more detailed polish later.

This morning I decided to try the late 40's fat handle tech for no other reason than to just try it before I put it up for sale in an inexpensive lot to reduce the den numbers. I had no expectation as to the shave I could achieve with my newly acquired $10.00 razor, I was just curious.

So I loaded it up with a Sharp Edge (yellow) blade and proceeded to clean up 36 hours of whiskers. Wow, all I can say is wow. Wow because I was shaving with a $10.00 user grade razor and wow because I had a very easy DFS/BBS. The shave was accomplished with very little thought as to blade angle, pressure or speed. I just lathered up and in 3 easy passes had a great shave. Understand my wow because this razor was sitting next to my $190.00 modern razor. If this was the only razor manufactured today I could get buy shaving with the Gillette Tech.

This weekend it will get the polish it deserves and a place in the den. Very nice surprise.

View attachment 1065032

The Tech is a great razor - very well desiged. That's why it's stood the test of time. Out of curiosity, what's the $190.00 modern razor?

View attachment 1065032

Amen!
You too have seen the light.
Congratulations.

My experience has been that the Tech razors are awesome. The Post War Fat Handle units are very smooth and there is such a variety of styles and originating Countries. Each model seems to have its own characteristics. The nice thing is that you don’t have to spend a fortune.

I paid considerably more for my '62 Tech, $19.80, but it needed no polishing. Almost perfect shape with almost no wear visible. On Sunday nights it takes off 36 hours of beard with no problem. That shave is always the smoothest and closest of the week. I have to look sometimes to make sure I have the angle right as there is no indication that there is any cutting going on. I'm using Nacets, and Rapira Platinum Lux exclusively.

It's good to be reminded that we don't have to spend a lot of money to get great shaves. I have a bad habit of tending to focus on more expensive products in search of the optimal setup. It's making me wish I had kept my Gillette Super Speed which always gave me excellent results.

I had a great shave with a fat handle tech today reminded me what a great razor a tech is. Amazing and it changes with different blades.

Top Bottom