What's new

A few finds from Miami

I haven't posted here in a while, probably mainly because I cannot seem to get to B&B at work, but thought I'd throw up a couple of pictures of pen finds from this past weeks Miami Pen Show. I don't often find Esterbrook I currently own, so when I find three in one weekend, plus a display case, it is a special treat. For those that appreciate vintage and hard to find esterbrook you will like these:

proxy.php

The three keepers. From top to bottom, an Esterbrook SJ half demonstrator. Slender (SJ or LJ) sized demonstrators are exceedingly rare, not that a full sized model is easy to find, but these even more so. Next a Relief 7, more below, and an English full sized J cutaway demonstrator.

proxy.php

Relief 7 open - This is a very hard to find pen, a piston filler. I've been looking for about 12 years to find one. They were made by Conway Stewart for Esterbrook and feature a full R. Esterbrook & Co. imprint, 14ct "relief" nib, and a semi clear barrel to see your ink level. I've only ever seen one for sale, and I don't even recall what the price was, but it was a lot.

proxy.php

The best pen ever to have been found at a pen show. A 1934 Esterbrook dollar pen demonstrator. Now you may wonder why I said the three keepers were above, well, I have one of these already, and mine has a clear inner cap. These are so rare, that when I bought mine from a very knowledgable collector several years ago he said there were about 4-5 of these in existence. I believe it.

I didn't get a picture yet of the display case, but it is very early, the earliest in my collection (and I have a large number of display cases), this one is clearly mid 1930's, dollar pen era, with a cool place in the middle of the green felt lined case to display a Duracrome re-new-point. A well done, dark brown case, very attractive too. The highlight of my display collection for sure!

It was a great show and we had a good time with all the folk there. It wasn't huge, but very friendly and Bert Oser runs a great show. Next up DC in a few weeks, hope to see some of you there!

Cheers!
Brian

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, those are some extra nice finds. Thanks a lot for sharing the pics!

Please do show off your display case whenever you get a chance.

Wow, those are some extra nice finds. Thanks a lot for sharing the pics!

Please do show off your display case whenever you get a chance.

No kidding. If those are the pens you didn't have, I'd love to see what the rest of your Esterbrook collection looks like!

-Andy

I haven't posted here in a while, probably mainly because I cannot seem to get to B&B at work, but thought I'd throw up a couple of pictures of pen finds from this past weeks Miami Pen Show. I don't often find Esterbrook I currently own, so when I find three in one weekend, plus a display case, it is a special treat. For those that appreciate vintage and hard to find esterbrook you will like these:

proxy.php

The three keepers. From top to bottom, an Esterbrook SJ half demonstrator. Slender (SJ or LJ) sized demonstrators are exceedingly rare, not that a full sized model is easy to find, but these even more so. Next a Relief 7, more below, and an English full sized J cutaway demonstrator.

proxy.php

Relief 7 open - This is a very hard to find pen, a piston filler. I've been looking for about 12 years to find one. They were made by Conway Stewart for Esterbrook and feature a full R. Esterbrook & Co. imprint, 14ct "relief" nib, and a semi clear barrel to see your ink level. I've only ever seen one for sale, and I don't even recall what the price was, but it was a lot.

proxy.php

The best pen ever to have been found at a pen show. A 1934 Esterbrook dollar pen demonstrator. Now you may wonder why I said the three keepers were above, well, I have one of these already, and mine has a clear inner cap. These are so rare, that when I bought mine from a very knowledgable collector several years ago he said there were about 4-5 of these in existence. I believe it.

I didn't get a picture yet of the display case, but it is very early, the earliest in my collection (and I have a large number of display cases), this one is clearly mid 1930's, dollar pen era, with a cool place in the middle of the green felt lined case to display a Duracrome re-new-point. A well done, dark brown case, very attractive too. The highlight of my display collection for sure!

It was a great show and we had a good time with all the folk there. It wasn't huge, but very friendly and Bert Oser runs a great show. Next up DC in a few weeks, hope to see some of you there!

Cheers!
Brian

------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Brian,

This is a rare post indeed - thanks for posting the cutaway Esterbrook. I have been trawling the internet for any information on a cutaway barrel (nib section missing) - i suspect this is an Esterbook J - but i am keen to find out what type of nib section it would have come with any ideas? Also please confirm that this is an Easterbrook J?

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_8863_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8863_1024.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 5
  • thumb_IMG_8862_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8862_1024.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 5
  • thumb_IMG_8861_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8861_1024.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 5
  • thumb_IMG_8860_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8860_1024.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 6
Do you have the cap? Looks like a J to me, but easiest way to identify is if the cap jewel is larger than the barrel jewel. I don't know of any cutaway demonstrators smaller than J size. Your section is correct for this pen, just a standard section.

Nice rare Esterbrook pens and display case Brian! I hope that you are still enjoying them.
Funny thing is I sold that dollar pen demonstrator, then the gentleman I sold it to sold it on ebay, and last November I bought it back from the new owner. I then re-sold it in April to someone else. I wonder if it will come back to me again? lol

Funny thing is I sold that dollar pen demonstrator, then the gentleman I sold it to sold it on ebay, and last November I bought it back from the new owner. I then re-sold it in April to someone else. I wonder if it will come back to me again? lol
I hope your making money on this ongoing saga:001_tt2:

Now that's what I call spreading the goodness around!

Do you have the cap? Looks like a J to me, but easiest way to identify is if the cap jewel is larger than the barrel jewel. I don't know of any cutaway demonstrators smaller than J size. Your section is correct for this pen, just a standard section.

Unfortunately i don't ... Mr Anderson (may i call you Brian?). The pen was part of a batch I had been pursuing & eventually secured from a 'closing down sale' here in Durban (most unlikely of places i do realise). In and amongst the batch there was also several other models, including a blue 'mint' (although there does seem to be some perculiar bubbling on the chrome) Monte Rosa (I didn't realise they were made my Montblanc - would appear to be what we in South Africa refer to as a 'no name brand', or a store brand i suppose, not bearing the original montblanc name and features [white splat resembling bird poop], several Osmiroid, Sheaffers [nibs and pens], Parker [nibs and pens] Easterbrook [pens and assorted nibs], Conway Stewarts, tools, an assortment of nibs [Montblanc 22, 32, 41, 149's], spare barrels, clips etc.). I am fascinated by Sheaffers (touch downs, Targa's, PFM's and Imperials).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom