What's new

9/11

A

AVB19Peace

tjkirch said:
Guys, can we please take this stuff off the forums? Remember what this thread was for.
You're absolutely right. My apologies to all that may be offended.

There are Right Wing comments thrown out all over the news, internet, books, etc...and like someone stated before, I can't let such comments go without a response either.

Look, you're not paying enough attention if you think anyone or any side has a monoply on stupid rhetoric. So enough of that.

And really, enough attacking. Both of you. Just because you disagree doesn't mean the other guy is wrong. It just means you think he's wrong. There is a difference.

Finally, it seems a shame to be doing this arguing on a thread intended to pay respects. The least you could do is start another thread.

My apologies to Scotto, and anyone who had family or friends affected by the 9/11 attacks. And since I am apparently such a misguided right-wing wacko, I shall refrain from posting in any of the Barber Shop threads related to anything political.

Please don't take this as "I'm taking my toys and going home." I make no apologies for my opinions, but when it comes to America's future and security, I tend to take things personally. As such, I shall spare you fine gentlemen any further of my "ravings.":wink:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think it's appropriate to bump this age old thread. Interesting to see who is still here, and who is gone, as well.

Seems like this thread went sideways for a page or two last time. Lets try to avoid that this time. Most of us don't like reading two grownups bickering via thread posting.

Since I wasn't around B&B back then, I'll share my story of that day. 9/11 actually had far reaching effects on my career. Since I live in the west, the towers had already fallen by the time I awoke. I had a very strange message on my answering machine from a partner. He was telling me things like "they brought down our buildings" and "we are under attack". I had not a clue what he was talking about and in fact thought he had left me a drunken message. He also advised me to turn on CNN which of course I did and the rest you all know.

In the aftermath a whole new agency was born dedicated in part to anti terrorism. This is not something I ever envisioned doing as part of my career, but now it comprises most of my time. Unfortunately I'm not at liberty to discuss it much beyond that, but I am thankful to be given the chance to do my small part. However it does humble and sadden me knowing why this is so. Every year I watch the various 9/11 documentaries on A&E or Discovery. My wife always asks why; she finds it too sad and depressing. The truth is as humans we move on and the impact of events lessen over time. I'm not saying we forget, but complacency and a comfort level does set in. I watch them as a reminder not to lose vigilance, and I watch them to honor the sacrifices made by others.

I'm certain that of the 10,000 plus members on B&B, somebody here lost a loved one on 9/11. You have my utmost empathy and respect as we approach the anniversary.

We were in the middle of a typhoon. I was asleep when my wife woke me up telling me my friend had called to watch TV. At that moment I saw one of the towers aflame and then out of nowhere another plane slammed into the 2nd building. I knew then that this was no accident nor a very bad Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Reports of a plane crashing into the Pentagon and one crashing into a Pennsylvania field confirmed a terrorist attack. My brother worked down at the towers during the bombing in the '93 and I called him, but could not get through to him on his mobile or his wife. He survived thank God. The images of the horror, the courage, the anger, the incredible sense of vulnerability, and sadness from that day and the days that followed are forever etched in my mind. I cried like a baby for months on end, and felt that our troops whom I interact with on a daily basis would soon be on their way to take down those that were responsible, we would avenge those deaths with the world behind us, and possibly things could change for the better...I pray that for all of those who died on that fateful day, their family and friends, and the troops who are still in harm's way, that we'll find peace...

I remember waiting on a platform for the train to take me home from a day at the university (it was already afternoon over here). My brother called me on my cell phone and said a plane had just hit the WTC. I did not really think much of it and thought it was just a freaky bizarre accident, such things happen... Then he called me back some time later when I was boarding my train. Another plane had hit the second tower. Still I did not really know what to make of all of this.

Inside the train I got into a discussion with an older guy who had heared the news as well. He said straight away that this was going to change the world and that I sort of had to prepare for a coming war. He compared it to the assassination Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914 which triggered WWI. At this point we got into a argument because in my opinion he was going a bit to far by saying such a thing, I mean, who was he to know?... When I got home my mother and my brother were watching television, it was only then that I fully understood what had happened........

I was on my way to work, actually dropping my baby girl off to the babysitter so I could go to work, listening to John Boy and Billy, they were discussing about a plane, at first thought to be a small Cessna or the like, had crashed, I thought wow, that's crazy, but as tall and prominent as those building are, it's a wonder it's not happened sooner.
Got to the 'sitters house, chatted a few minutes, watching the news, my next thought was 'that's a mighty big hole for a small plane to make, even if it exploded, wonder what really happened'
I no sooner had that thought when the 2nd plane come into the picture and crashed the 2nd tower....shock!

It's still unbelievable.

Gents,

Let's not forget one thing. This thread is about offering our respects for those who gave their lives on that fateful day. They didn't ask to be martyrs. They did not ask to die. They just went to work. Or got on a plane. Let's offer our respect and thoughts to them and their families. If you want to discuss politics, that's a different thread. Start it elsewhere.

Randy

+1 I fully agree!

I too missed the thread the first time around by about two weeks. Here are my recollections from that day.

I was living and studying with 80 other University of WI students in Dalkeith, Scotland in a large manner house known by the locals as The Dalkeith Palace. If I'm remembering correctly (and to be honest, most of it is a surreal fog) it was around 1:00PM GMT and I was laying on my bed half dozing, half reading when one of my roommates burst into the room. He was saying something, obviously in a panic, but I couldn't decipher. I felt like Charlie Brown in the classroom listening to the teacher. Then, just like that, he dashed out of the room. The tears on the hard wood floor just a few moments old.

I remember being one of eighty plus students and staff crowding around the lone little television in such a large and grand mansion dating back to a time probably before our great nation was founded. This day being a few years prior to the passing of my dad, it was, at that time, the most empty and helpless I've ever felt in my short 26 years.

The next day, out and about in Scotland we didn't even have to speak! Random people would just come up and embrace us. It was an amazing outpouring of sympathy and respect. The most memorable being a few days later when we had a small trip to the Scottish Highlands planned. I remember walking into what could be construed as a "not so friendly, locals only" kind of pub. Before I could make my way up to the bar, this huge guy that could make Paul Bunyan cry, without saying a word mind you, threw his arms around me and began sobbing like a child. It was a very emotionally moving experience.

God bless and may we never forget.

I didn't post the first time because I wasn't emotionally stable enought to comment...

The moment I saw the images is still the most surreal moment in my life. I felt an outpouring of emotions and a cold numbness at the same time. I remember leaving Sociology class at Syracuse University, on my way to my History lecture class. My friend, Sleeper, stopped me on the sidewalk and told me that someone just bombed the WTC. Disoriented, my only response was, "What?!" When I got to my History class, it was pandenomium. Being a NY school, SU students/faculty had a fair share of relatives/friends working at the WTC. Everyone was using their cellphones. Students were crying. People were running out the door. I remember kids running in all different directions on the Quad.

Since I was away at school, I felt insulated. That couldn't be NYC, I told myself. Not my NYC. Even with the vivid telecasts, I felt too far away for it to be real. It wasn't until I realized that 12 friends had lost one or both parents that the pain became palpable. It became inescapable... so did the anger.

A week later, I tried to join up the Marines. My workout instructor was a recruiter and got the ball rolling. Unfortunately, I have flat feet and some back issues related to it... I have friends that got in and either died in combat or came back in fragments. That's why I hold a special affinity for the Marine Corps. I could've been out there.

A year later, you could still smell the stench of corpses coming from Ground Zero. For a long time, every time I'd pass it, I'd just stop and stare. It's as if every passing minute I stood there would bring me closer to finding meaning, to acceptance, to inner peace. It didn't work. 9/11: We will never forget.

A week later, I tried to join up the Marines. My workout instructor was a recruiter and got the ball rolling. Unfortunately, I have flat feet and some back issues related to it... I have friends that got in and either died in combat or came back in fragments. That's why I hold a special affinity for the Marine Corps. I could've been out there.

A year later, you could still smell the stench of corpses coming from Ground Zero. For a long time, every time I'd pass it, I'd just stop and stare. It's as if every passing minute I stood there would bring me closer to finding meaning, to acceptance, to inner peace. It didn't work. 9/11: We will never forget.
So say we all my friend, so say we all.

I was in Ramallah (the west bank) when it happend. The police closed the streets to allow the arabs to celebrate. They even handed out candies. I had a panic attack because I was Israeli and thought there would be a mob of attackers.

May we remember the victoms of this attack.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Once again, we are forced to recall the moments of that awful day.

Once again, we are forced to recall the moments of that awful day.

I still cry on this day, every year. In my heart it feels like only yesterday. Nearly 3K people from over 50 countries lost their lives that day.

The families and victims of these events are forever in my thoughts and prayers.

I remember the day my wife lost a sister and cousin very well. Picture perfect day - absolutely beautiful. I got to the office and my wife called to tell me what happened. I looked out the window from my office on Long Island and could see the smoke from Tower 2. I logged on my computer and was able to get a live report from CNBC. When Tower 1 got hit they were live at the NYSE and they felt that a bomb went off in the building but then they got confirmation of the second strike. Later came the Pentagon and the crashed plane in PA.

It was only later after the towers fell and I walked in the door when we got a call from my in-laws. We were all concerned that about my brother-in-law who worked in Tower 1 on the 39th floor. The call was from my father-in-law who wanted me to come over. When I got there he told me my brother-in-law was fine but there was another problem - his daughter was at a conference at Windows on the World in Tower 1. Now I knew why he called me over. My wife was 6 months pregnant at the time and he didn't want her to know yet.

Word travels fast and by the time I got home my wife could tell what was going on because she got a call from one of her sisters in Atlanta. We spent the day at my in-laws house filing missing persons reports with the Nassau County Police and getting documents in place including her dental records.

The next day when word came in that they would release information to families at the NYC Armory I went in and met my sister-in-laws friends and cousin. We turned over the Nassau Country Report and went over other information with the NYC PD - where were amazing to work with. Refugee Sandwiches started to show up while we waited to be processed. Then the food suddenly got better because individuals and corporations were sending all kinds of meals over. Finally, they kept things on hold until Mayor Guiliani showed up. Guiliani was brilliant during those days and his discussion with the families was no different. Then we were taken to be processed where we confirmed that my sister-in-law was not in a hospital and was gone.

These days it is still hard to believe the event took place and the loss actually happened, but it did. I get angry at the politicians in New York because the is still a scar where giants stood and little to show in terms of rebuilding and a memorial. Its no wonder that I left a few years ago and moved to North Carolina. The politicians would put their name all over the process and only muck it up. Great way to show the world how we get back up on the horse once we're thrown off.

I could filibusterer all day, but won't. You've been a great audience, tip your waitress well and see you again soon!

Top Bottom