What's new

3D-printed R41 top caps discussion

It's been a while since I posted here ...

I've been using the Spitfire cap PIFed by Doc almost exclusively, and the results are very consistent.

Awesome shaves each time. Close, smooth and irritation free, it's just amazing this little piece of plastic. :thumbsup: It really feels like I'm cheating, I'm still amazed at how efficient and smooth it is. The stock R41 is a great razor, but this cap is SUPERB.

That's all.

I, too, have come to fully appreciate the Spitfire. It reins as the closest shave in my arsenal of razors.

I look forward to acquiring these fine razors in metal one day for both me and my son. He's still in the Ninja Turtle phase; he'll thank me later :wink2:

I was fully content not ever trying one of these. Now, it seems like I really need one... :)

:facep::lol: Same thought was just crossing my mind!!!

If you already own an R41-2011, which I believe both of you do, you could go to your grave w/o ever trying either the Spitfire or the Hurricane and your life would still be complete (well, mostly complete:001_rolle).

Both caps are really designed for 2013 users. When paired with a 2013 baseplate, the Spitfire delivers a shave that is nearly identical to the 2011 (I would contend the Spitfire is a tiny bit smoother, but the difference is minuscule and might be imaginary).
The Hurricane, paired with a 2013 baseplate, is smoother than a 2011 but more effective than a 2013. If I recall correctly, neither Craig nor Bill thought the 2011 was too rough.

These caps were a chance for me to experiment, which is a big part of this hobby for me. And I ended up with an R41 (2013 Hurricane) that I enjoy using more than any other R41 by a long shot. Are these caps for everyone? No, but I had a lot of fun with them.

If you already own an R41-2011, which I believe both of you do, you could go to your grave w/o ever trying either the Spitfire or the Hurricane and your life would still be complete (well, mostly complete:001_rolle).

Both caps are really designed for 2013 users. When paired with a 2013 baseplate, the Spitfire delivers a shave that is nearly identical to the 2011 (I would contend the Spitfire is a tiny bit smoother, but the difference is minuscule and might be imaginary).
The Hurricane, paired with a 2013 baseplate, is smoother than a 2011 but more effective than a 2013. If I recall correctly, neither Craig nor Bill thought the 2011 was too rough.

Yep - exactly right Doc. Thanks for this info… it's definitely very interesting. I do have several 2011's that I greatly enjoy… in fact, so much so, that I have sold/traded/given away each and every 2013 in my den! So in fact, I really wouldn't know what to do with one of these caps, unless of course i go out and get a 2013 again (which I certainly could do, I suppose! :001_smile).

Either way, it's very cool to me that #6 is making these, and they really seem to be great performers from what I've heard. Very glad you are enjoying yours!

I had my first Hurricane shave today. After months of 2013 r41 shaving I didn't expect the change in aggressiveness, but I can see with some adjustments in technique how it could be a game and routine changer. The two day DFS may be in my grasp.

I had my first Hurricane shave today. After months of 2013 r41 shaving I didn't expect the change in aggressiveness, but I can see with some adjustments in technique how it could be a game and routine changer. The two day DFS may be in my grasp.

No doubt! When I use either Hurricane or Spitfire caps, the next day I can get away with s one pass atg and be good enough for the day... Enjoy your shaves Dardeau!

@Duke4423 - glad to meet another member waiting for the metal caps!

I recently got a hurricane cap and have to say that I've been disappointed with it. I feel like the cap doesn't keep the blade in place with my beard. I have a thick beard and like an aggressive razor and my R-41 (2013) has been a favorite. I was hoping for an even better shave with the hurricane cap, but it just doesn't shave as close as the original metal cap for me. I really think I need the extra support from the metal. I can regularly get 4-5 shaves with the original cap. I had three shaves on the blade when I first got the hurricane cap, the shave was so bad, I needed to switch to another razor. The next shave, I used a fresh blade. It worked better, but not as good as the metal cap. I worry that the spitfire cap will have even more flex and not be an answer for me. I use a steep angle with the R-41. Blades used were Persona Labs. I guess I need to look out for a 2011 R-41 next.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I found the Hurricane cap to be quite stable. For me, it is more aggressive than the stock 2013 cap. More importantly, there is a learning curve. I found the Hurricane cap's performance improved the more I used it.
Maybe you should try a different blade?

+1 what Doc said. I left my Hurricane R41 alone for a couple weeks, and my next shave felt a bit rough... My touch became a bit less light using other razors. Took a couple shaves to get back in the swing.

My vote also would be to give a chance for a few shaves...

+1 what Doc said. I left my Hurricane R41 alone for a couple weeks, and my next shave felt a bit rough... My touch became a bit less light using other razors. Took a couple shaves to get back in the swing.

My vote also would be to give a chance for a few shaves...

I had been using the standard cap all last week and no other razors in between. I get great shaves with the standard cap. When I used the hurricane cap, I shaved like I do with the standard cap. My understanding is that we didn't need to greatly modify our technique switching to the new cap.

As for a different blade, I think I need something either thicker or sharper. A feather blade is sharper, but how long will it last? As for thicker, any suggestions?

I just think that there is a tiny bit of flex in the plastic that just doesn't work with my thick beard. Until I can find a 2011, I'll just stick with the stock 2013 cap.

@jankdc - Hurricane cap behaves different than stock cap. If I go shallow angle, it needs to be a very shallow angle. Less angle than stock cap. Steep angle shaving more of the same - the Hurricane does best with the blade close to 90d angle to the skin surface, more so than the stock cap.

The tiny flex in the blade is what makes the razor work at a steep angle.

Even the stock cap should do justice to your beard - with a very sharp blade like a Feather.

I shaved with the Hurricane or the Spitfire cap for a month when I first got them. It took about 10 days to get the technique down. Easier to do than it reads...

Top Bottom