What's new

3-in-1 Oil

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
3 in 1 is fine for general use. Door hinges, squeaky things and the like. I would shy away from it on precision type applications. Chemistry has come a long way since 3 and 1 appeared on the scene and their are better purpose built lubricants for many applications.

The last time I used it was on my Norton India stone. Perfect for that if you don't mind the smell and some do.

Ballistol is one I've never tried that I would like to, though I've heard it's scent is a bit like sweat socks.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Not on firearms. Don't know if it's a good idea or not. I use 3-in-1 for things like door hinges.
I’m with you ... I mean, the Deutsches Heer lost two World Wars using their Ballistol elixir, so how good can it be?? ;-)

Since the 1880s, 3-in1 has been marketed as an all-purpose (again, elixir) oil that actually predates Ballistol ... and Rem-oil, well, that eightysome-year-old younger mineral oil-brother to the two aforementioned, was created by Remington for use on circa-1930s Remington typewriters. Back when I was a wee one, I once asked Dad, a lifelong Pontiac mechanic, if the newer 400 c.i. motor was superior to its’ predecessor, PMD’s 389, and in typical spartan fashion, he replied by saying, “Without a doubt” ... end of conversation.

Most firearm oil-of-choice observations, & subsequent conversations, tend to be anecdotal, but there’s one thing that I’m certain of and just like that 400 c.i. motor, today’s gun-specific synthetic lubes are going to be vastly superior, in all respects, to yester-century’s multi-purpose offerings ... yes, even those recently infused with teflon, etc., etc...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Most oils, especially petroleum based oils that arent highly refined will soften wood, long term. Once the oil is absorbed by the wood its hard to remove it.

Most will also freeze but thats not likely a problem in Tennessee.

Many of the handgun shooters at my club would hang their guns by a wire and spray them out with WD-40 if they had issues with them then either let them drip dry or give them a good wipe down with a cloth after. It works but its less than ideal. WD-40 will also flash freeze a gun solid instantly if its cold enough.

I mostly used this for bolts, action parts and trigger groups. Its the best rust inhibitor I've used in guns. It goes on water thin and dries quickly.

b7dfd76f-54b7-4603-b901-52716072abd9_1.018a7ad685e353bdd8e38e29bdfef10b.jpeg

I use what ever is in reach. CLP, Ballistol , ED's Red/USMC Red (Mobil 1 synthetic + STP + Hoppes No. 9 + ATF), Ez-Ox and various others. My Robinson Arms XTR like to run wet, so the ED's RED gets the call on the BCG.
Yep! And chances are that you'll wipe off that oil before it breaks down anyway, if you shoot with any frequency.

I switched to Hornady one shot for most guns. Ballistol for my black powder gun. Rem oil for wiping down guns after being in the field.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
3in1 is basically mineral oil, as is RemOil & Ballistol. For what it's worth, 3in1 sewing machine oil, AKA spindle oil, has anti gumming additives.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ballistol is one I've never tried that I would like to, though I've heard it's scent is a bit like sweat socks.

Smells like licorice, really. And it makes me cough every time I smell it.

You can treat wounds with it (you get a scar), make aftershave out of it (ahem) ...

I have bought - and gone through the one-gallon can, but then again, I have a P08 ... they drink it.

And it's great on leather, too. Fixes old holsters, slings etc. while you're at the cleaning.

AA

I remember my uncle, then a master sergeant in the USAF, in maintance and armoring aircraft, used 3 in 1 on his guns. This was back in the late 1950's early 60's and we did not have all the "specialty" oils then.

There is a guy on YouTube that seems extreemely knowledgeable about firearms, was an armorer, he suggests using laxitives from the drug store (mineral oil) for oiling your guns. I never verified his credentials, but I have no reason to doubt his claims.

I would use the drug store mineral oil, if I did not have a variety of concoctions already lying around.

I am curious if this draws any fire (pun intended).
Jody.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
There is a guy on YouTube that seems extreemely knowledgeable about firearms, was an armorer, he suggests using laxitives from the drug store (mineral oil) for oiling your guns. I never verified his credentials, but I have no reason to doubt his claims.

I would use the drug store mineral oil, if I did not have a variety of concoctions already lying around.

Jody.

Most "gun oil" is mineral oil based. Mainly they differ in the small amounts of additives they use, but most are 90+ percent mineral oil. However, additives can be beneficial vs straight mineral oil. These additives might include anti corrosion, anti gumming, or extra lubrication (like PTFE as another member pointed out). All the claims that Ballistol makes (wound healing, leather conditioner, wood condition, lubricant, etc.) straight mineral oil can and does make the exact same claims (BTW I own, use, and like Ballistol. Never used it as an aftershave though. Hmmmm...)

In context of the OP, assuming one cleans and lubes their break barrel shotgun on any regular basis, I doubt one would notice a performance difference between any mineral oil based "gun oil" compared to 3in1 or even straight mineral oil.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most "gun oil" is mineral oil based. Mainly they differ in the small amounts of additives they use, but most are 90+ percent mineral oil. However, additives can be beneficial vs straight mineral oil. These additives might include anti corrosion, anti gumming, or extra lubrication (like PTFE as another member pointed out). All the claims that Ballistol makes (wound healing, leather conditioner, wood condition, lubricant, etc.) straight mineral oil can and does make the exact same claims (BTW I own, use, and like Ballistol. Never used it as an aftershave though. Hmmmm...)

In context of the OP, assuming one cleans and lubes their break barrel shotgun on any regular basis, I doubt one would notice a performance difference between any mineral oil based "gun oil" compared to 3in1 or even straight mineral oil.

Lol'd @ "wound healing" :)

This is why I started using One Shot On all my carry and hunting guns Except black powder.

I realize its just a forum guy and could be faked, but it is nice to just use one product most of the time..... It seems to work well at most applications. I like how it doesn't stay sticky. I still put a couple drops of Hoppes or Rem oil in strategic spots When a manufacturer says to.

My trapping guns get really wet and dirty often. For many years I have cleaned them with copious amounts of wd40 When that happen, mostly because I don’t want to dig out my fancy gun stuff and wd40 is so cheap! I literally let them drain overnight and reload them many times a year. No issues ever. I do run a brush and patches down the barrel once a year.

I use a copper solvent in the barrel of my new 6.5 Creedmoor....

Regards

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is why I started using One Shot On all my carry and hunting guns Except black powder.

I realize its just a forum guy and could be faked, but it is nice to just use one product most of the time..... It seems to work well at most applications. I like how it doesn't stay sticky. I still put a couple drops of Hoppes or Rem oil in strategic spots When a manufacturer says to.

My trapping guns get really wet and dirty often. For many years I have cleaned them with copious amounts of wd40 When that happen, mostly because I don’t want to dig out my fancy gun stuff and wd40 is so cheap! I literally let them drain overnight and reload them many times a year. No issues ever. I do run a brush and patches down the barrel once a year.

I use a copper solvent in the barrel of my new 6.5 Creedmoor....

Regards

Very smart.

Jody.

Have used drug store mineral oil as honing oil for knives. It seems more viscus than 3-in-1.

Lol'd @ "wound healing" :)

Back when I worked summers in construction, we kept a small amount of kerosene at hand for when the radial arm saw hung in pine lumber. We'd sprinkle it on the the blade to cut through the tar. The boss also claimed it was an antiseptic, and used it as such when he logged back in the ax and wedge and crosscut saw days. Doubt the antiseptic claim. Think oil on wounds is an old bit of folklore.

Top Bottom