What's new

3-in-1 Oil

You folks are hardcore mixing up those concoctions. That would make a ton of gun oil!

For the Ed's Red Gun Oil, the batch can be any size, <1/2 kerosene + 1/2 ATF> == done.

I would probably not mix this IF I did not have the ingredients lying dormant around the house. I would pick one of the many other options instead.

Jody

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I remember back twenty or thirty years ago when Mobile 1 was the lube de jour, cheap (one quart would last several lifetimes) and long lasting on the surfaces and not affected by heat.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
what do you guys use for black powder rifles?

Ballistol and water... Turns white, they call it "moose milk."

I've also used that on corrosive combloc ammo-shooters.

Edit: ok, now go check out my Ballistol thread ... In the aftershave forum!

AA

For cleaning the inside of a black powder fouled side lock, I switched over to straight water. Either a damp patch IF I am going to be shooting again, perhaps within a week or so. Otherwise I *may* dunk the breach in a bucket of really HOT water. A patch with WD-40 seems advisable to displace the any dampness. I will leave the final WD-40 patch in the barrel, and stroke it on subsequent days to have higher confidence that the job was well done.

For non-moral issues, I try to avoid strong statements like "never use WD-40 on guns". I do not routinely use WD-40 on my smokeless guns due to the allegations against it (I do not know which of the allegations are credible).

Jody

Ballistol and water... Turns white, they call it "moose milk."

I've also used that on corrosive combloc ammo-shooters.

Edit: ok, now go check out my Ballistol thread ... In the aftershave forum!

AA
that’s what I use as well. Straight Ballistol to finish after drying.

I will check out your ballistol thread!

For cleaning the inside of a black powder fouled side lock, I switched over to straight water. Either a damp patch IF I am going to be shooting again, perhaps within a week or so. Otherwise I *may* dunk the breach in a bucket of really HOT water. A patch with WD-40 seems advisable to displace the any dampness. I will leave the final WD-40 patch in the barrel, and stroke it on subsequent days to have higher confidence that the job was well done.

For non-moral issues, I try to avoid strong statements like "never use WD-40 on guns". I do not routinely use WD-40 on my smokeless guns due to the allegations against it (I do not know which of the allegations are credible).

Jody
I used to do that with my Hawken. I use an in line now. No more bucket of hot water... I can remember using boiling water followed by pure rubbing alcohol to dry mine long ago. Whatever works! No rust is the proof. I miss my old hawken.

Traditionally it was boiling water for cap or flint side locks using cotton patches and lead ball or conicals. I really like TC's "Bore Butter". You "season" a bore with it so you have to be careful what you use as a cleaner (no petro products). They also sell a water based cleaner that's compatible (but I'm still a fan of water as hot as you can get it). BB even works well as a general purpose metal coating and I've not seen any rust pop up after a few years of storage. Great on the hands too!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Perhaps it is time to return to your beautiful sidelock.

I cannot make myself want to use an inline, they do not look right.

Inlines really are fun, but agree: they are a "third category," so to speak.

Neither historical nor modern, but sizzling ballistics!

AA

Perhaps it is time to return to your beautiful sidelock.

I cannot make myself want to use an inline, they do not look right.
It’s gone. Given away to someone who needs it more than me.

The inlines might as well be a cartridge gun. I can shoot nice groups at 150 yards with just a bit more effort than a cartridge gun. Plus it’s pushing a bullet that will perform beautifully. I would miss my inline performance if I did go back to a real black powder gun.... They take a lot of variables out of the equation.

If I did go back, I think a flint lock would be my choice. Maybe a really nice big bore. I think about it at times.

Not enough time......

Sorry to thread jack...

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
For carbon removal I'm really digging BoreTech C4 but rumors in the dark corners on the internet suggest that for that baked on harder than concrete carbon CLR (yes, the Calcium, Lime, and Rust stuff) is a miracle worker! Have not tried... Proceed at your own risk but folks are saying it turns the carbon at the throat and leade to mush in short order!

As for lube... I'm using Lucas Gun Oil which I am pretty sure is just synthetic gear oil (Stinks like gear oil and makes sense. High pressure, high temp) but I received a wee sample of machine gunners oil from Sprinco and I'm really like it as well!

Top Bottom