What's new

2 Blade Gillette Razor Advice.

Hey there.

I recently got into shaving with a Merkur HD, Brush, and Taylor of Old Bond Cream. It's been fun, however, I am sad to say that I think I'd rather prefer a 2 bladed razor. It seems to be much safer, and for me, much easier. I can never shave against the grain but nonetheless shaving across the grain with a Merkur HD feels real good. Sadly, I take forever shaving with a Merkur HD as I need to be careful.

I may come back to the Merkur, but for now I need a break. However, I will not go back to my 4-5 blade razors (gillette fusion and the schick quatro) as they tend to cut me up.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which 2 Bladed razor would be best for me.

I'm looking at either the:

Gillette Trac II
Gillette Atra Plus
or Gillette Sensor (or sensor excel)

They seem to look the same, and are all 2 blade razors, though the first 2 came out much earlier than the Sensor. Any advice?

(quick question, can a sensor excel razor/trac/atra razor use any other 2 bladed cartridge? such as a sensor excel razor w/ trac or atra blades or an atra razor with sensor excel blades, the reason I ask is because I found my dad's sensor excel razor w/ no blades).

Last edited:
First I'll touch on the functional differenced between the cartridges:

- Trac II is the oldest (38 years old) and simplest. It is rigidly mounted to the handle (non-pivoting). Cartridges come with or without lubricating strips and run all the way from about $1.25 a piece for Gillette brand to $.38(?) a piece for Personna brand "Twin II" cartridges at Walmart.

- Atra is 31 years old and introduced the pivoting head. Pivoting head razors require less skill and time on the part of the user as, with some pressure, they conform to the surface of the face.

- The Sensor is 19 years old, also has a pivot head and additionally has spring-loaded blades to further reduce the chance of nicks. Basic sensor cartridges had a metal bar in advance of the blades. Sensor Excel have a ribbed rubber bar (microfins).

For a new user, the Sensor's probably going to be the quickest, easiest and most effective of the three, but also the most expensive.

If you're looking to save money, the Trac II format (using the Personna Twin II cartridges from Walmart) is by bar the cheapest, but gets mixed reviews. Its disadvantages are that you need to consciously control the blade angle and the cartridge is more likely to get clogged if not frequently rinsed.

'Hope this helps.

- Chris

First I'll touch on the functional differenced between the cartridges:

- Trac II is the oldest (38 years old) and simplest. It is rigidly mounted to the handle (non-pivoting). Cartridges come with or without lubricating strips and run all the way from about $1.25 a piece for Gillette brand to $.38(?) a piece for Personna brand "Twin II" cartridges at Walmart.

- Atra is 31 years old and introduced the pivoting head. Pivoting head razors require less skill and time on the part of the user as, with some pressure, they conform to the surface of the face.

- The Sensor is 19 years old, also has a pivot head and additionally has spring-loaded blades to further reduce the chance of nicks. Basic sensor cartridges had a metal bar in advance of the blades. Sensor Excel have a ribbed rubber bar (microfins).

For a new user, the Sensor's probably going to be the quickest, easiest and most effective of the three, but also the most expensive.

If you're looking to save money, the Trac II format (using the Personna Twin II cartridges from Walmart) is by bar the cheapest, but gets mixed reviews. Its disadvantages are that you need to consciously control the blade angle and the cartridge is more likely to get clogged if not frequently rinsed.

'Hope this helps.

- Chris

Thank you for the quick response! I'm assuming the performance of the Trac/Atra/Sensor blades are similar and thus is a question of money/comfortability/quickness.

In that case, I might as well go for the Gillette Sensor. I used to use a Gillette Fusion before and in that case I would be saving money anyways by using anything other than the Fusion (which cut my face up).

Though I do get the "this is how they shaved back in the day" mood when shaving with a Merkur, it just takes way too long for me. Nonetheless Im sure the sensor excel w/ brush & cream will do good enough.

(quick question, can a sensor excel razor/trac/atra razor use any other 2 bladed cartridge? such as a sensor excel razor w/ trac or atra blades or an atra razor with sensor excel blades, the reason I ask is because I found my dad's sensor excel razor w/ no blades).

No, all 3 use different handles and load the cartridges with a different method

A compromise you could consider would be using an injector razor.

While it's an ancient format, blades are still available and significantly cheaper than Sensor blades. It's still just a single blade razor but far less critical of blade angle than the DE's and Gem blade SE's. You can typically pick up one for $10 - $20 on B/S/T and they're one of my favorites.

I shaved with an early 50's Eversharp Schick G1 this morning. Looks just like the razor that Cary Grant used in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. I easily get a weeks worth of high quality shaves out of each blade.

'Just saying.

- Chris

Top Bottom