What's new

1st try Suneko Amorphous Diamond blades

I started the Suneko in a Merkur 34C. , and it felt a bit harsh, but not excessively so. This combo yielded a DFS without any real effort (Papa Bear). After that, I placed it in a Karve CB "A" (Mama Bear). That combo was almost too mild. Smooth and comfortable, but I had to work the buffing pass to get to a DFS. This morning I dug out a post-war Fat Handle Tech that I got for $3 because its handle looked like someone had hit it with a hacksaw (Baby Bear). Bingo! BBS- on auto-pilot.

My package of Suneko blades arrived around 10 days ago here in the UK - quicker than expected delivery so that was good.

I checked one blade when they arrived and they are printed Suneko with a k - not the Suneco blades some have received.

First shave last night with a Suneko blade in my brass Karve Overlander. A slightly strange experience.....

The blade tugged a little at the hair on my top lip which is a measure of sharpness for me - a sharp Nacet doesn't tug here for example. So I thought the Suneko may not be quite as sharp as I'd hoped.

The rest of the shave was fine, albeit slightly rougher feeling than normal. I sensed a lot more blade feel and the sound of the Suneko cutting was different too - it made my hair sound coarser/thicker than it is.

I half expected the end result to be a bit rough. Instead, I had one of the closest shaves I've ever had and without trying for BBS, it was pretty damn close. And zero irritation. 12 hours later and I'm still nearly BBS.

Will be interesting to see what the next shave with this blade is like and whether I also find it gets smother with use before the sharpness drops off.

But first impressions are that it wasn't particularly enjoyable to shave with compared to other buttery smooth blades - but the result of the shave is brilliant.

All he said is "yes it is the same". But he also provided this attestation. I guess he has received some negative feedback around the labelling.

Anyway my concerns have been mostly assuaged.

View attachment 1788504
I just saw this now. Maybe I can shed some context on this.

It’s likely that the seller, Kung Fu Scissors, has received several messages to clarify whether Suneko = Suneco. Rather than just confirming himself that the blades are the same, he contacted the manufacturer and asked them to provide him with a formal statement that the blades they sell to him are in fact the same blades. He also specifically asked them to attach the company chop to this letter (the red chop with the star and the company name).

This is significant insofar that in China a company chop is like the signature of the legal person (the company). Everything stated in that letter has legal implications because of this chop. In this case it’s like an affidavit. Putting the company chop on this letter requires several authorizations from senior management and is not done lightly.
The company chop is a very powerful tool and there is only one chop in each company.

From all this we can deduce that the seller went beyond his obligations for clarification by asking the manufacturer for a statement with the company chop and the manufacturer has a solid business relation with the seller to grant this statement with the company chop affixed.

Third week shaving with these blades

Third blade six shaves

It’s not as good as the second blade, but better than the first.

Overall

sharpness, 8
smoothness, 7
durability, 8

It’s not as good of a blade as my personal favor, which is a silver blue. I also like Polsilvers, but they’re out of production.

Out of the paper wrapping the first shave is not particularly smooth, but I get excellent shaves from number three and four.

They seem to have a noticeable drop off in sharpness, but I have not experienced it so far with this blade and it’s used six times so far. The first blade I got five shaves the second blade I got eight which was one too many so far this blade six shaves.

I tend to compare these to my favorite blades. It’s not as smooth as a silver blue, but it’s comparatively sharp and durable. I can typically get five or six shades with a silver blue which is similar with these blades.

If the prices right, I would consider picking these up. Just make note that the first shave out of the wrapping may be a little bit rough.

I Use a moderately aggressive razor that Lupo .95 closed comb. With minimal protection from the Nivea shave stick.

I finish the shave with witch hazel and some gold bond men’s moisturizer.

Overall, a pretty good blade. Hopefully the quality stands up over a larger sample size.

March 2, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Timeless .68 SSB (first shave)
Blade: Suneko (1)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Brush: Maggard synthetic
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Today I used a new-to-me razor, a Timeless .68 SSB. It was the usual three pass shave. The lack of blade feel seemed to make me increase the pressure to get some cutting action. I learned that that's probably unnecessary. One weeper and slightly tight skin tells me to use less pressure and trust the razor and blade to get the job done. It was a glide-fest, so smooth!

Overall, a wonderful shave. The Suneko blade contributed to the smoothness and lack of blade feel, but it was remarkably sharp!

9.7/10

Enjoy your weekend!

sotd03_02_24.jpg

These Suneko blades are very cheap.
Are they good? I'm thinking of buying them right away.
They perform well with a good balance of smoothness, comfort, and sharpness. The Sunekos are NOT the sharpest blades I have tested though. That is still the Nacet, Perma-Sharp, 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, all from Gillette.

They are worth buying, but cost around $12 per hundred when shipped to the USA, so if one counts their pennies (or at least likes to play the game of it, like me), there are options that have more value from my perspective. I have blades that perform just as well that cost me a third less than the Suneko blades did. Of course, don't let this deter you from trying them. I don't think they are a bad purchase.

Last edited:
March 2, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Timeless .68 SSB (first shave)
Blade: Suneko (1)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Brush: Maggard synthetic
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Today I used a new-to-me razor, a Timeless .68 SSB. It was the usual three pass shave. The lack of blade feel seemed to make me increase the pressure to get some cutting action. I learned that that's probably unnecessary. One weeper and slightly tight skin tells me to use less pressure and trust the razor and blade to get the job done. It was a glide-fest, so smooth!

Overall, a wonderful shave. The Suneko blade contributed to the smoothness and lack of blade feel, but it was remarkably sharp!

9.7/10

Enjoy your weekend!

sotd03_02_24.jpg

That is quite beautiful, sir. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kix
They are worth buying, but cost around $12 per hundred when shipped to the USA, so if one counts their pennies (or at least likes to play the game of it, like me), there are options that have more value from my perspective. I have blades that perform just as well that cost me a third less than the Suneko blades did. Of course, don't let this deter you from trying them. I don't think they are a bad purchase.
I've just checked. fifty blades would cost me nine euros shipped to Italy.

I go through phases and haven't been shaving much recently. It had been more than a week and I had quite the beard to shave off. I put a Suneco in a knock-off Futur and lathered up with regular can Barbasol. It did great taking off that heavy stubble. Two days later, I used it again with brush lathered Derby cream. The shave felt good but there are some rough spots and a little irritation a couple hours later.

• Sad
R

RickStar_Shaves

Curious how these shaves, I've seen them on AliExpress for awhile but never bothered buying them because I can get branded blades for way cheaper. But now after reading these reviews I kinda want to try them more now, but at £4 for 10 is a no from me! 🤭😂👍💚

After reading the rave reviews of this blade on this thread, I decided that I had to try the Suneko. I would have ordered them earlier, but I took part in the February GRUME and had to wait until restock date on March 1 to place the order.

I haven't tried them yet; that'll have to wait until Wednesday when I plan to load a new blade in my Mühle Rocca hopefully with a new brush as well. I'll make sure that I'll report my shaving experience back in this thread.

Since I am based close to Hong Kong these blades were quite cheap for me. I initially planned to purchase just one tuck, but the order value seemed quite low at $ 0.50 for a tuck. I ordered then five tucks at $ 2.00. I wasn't ready to commit to 100 blades ($3.50) just yet without trying them first. I guess that shipping cost drives the price up for these blades for you guys in the US and Europe.

I'm quite looking forward trying this interesting blade and may use a blade more than twice in accordance with the feedback you guys have given on the blade performance so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6270.jpeg
    IMG_6270.jpeg
    853.1 KB · Views: 3
After reading the rave reviews of this blade on this thread, I decided that I had to try the Suneko. I would have ordered them earlier, but I took part in the February GRUME and had to wait until restock date on March 1 to place the order.

I haven't tried them yet; that'll have to wait until Wednesday when I plan to load a new blade in my Mühle Rocca hopefully with a new brush as well. I'll make sure that I'll report my shaving experience back in this thread.

Since I am based close to Hong Kong these blades were quite cheap for me. I initially planned to purchase just one tuck, but the order value seemed quite low at $ 0.50 for a tuck. I ordered then five tucks at $ 2.00. I wasn't ready to commit to 100 blades ($3.50) just yet without trying them first. I guess that shipping cost drives the price up for these blades for you guys in the US and Europe.

I'm quite looking forward trying this interesting blade and may use a blade more than twice in accordance with the feedback you guys have given on the blade performance so far.
AliExpress is the only place to get them for me currently. The $8.60 price for 100 isn't bad, but shipping is another $2.87 and there is no discount on shipping for buying multiple units. After sales tax, the cost was near what the various Gillette brands cost (prices have jumped a bit recently).

Top Bottom