What's new

1974 Gillette Super Speed doesn't shave properly (How to fix?)

I have a 1974 Gillette Super Speed that I can't get to shave well. It appears to open and close properly, but it butchers my face, unlike all my other 1950's models. I've tried to use it several times using proven blades without luck--Any suggestions on how to fix?

I have a 1974 Gillette Super Speed that I can't get to shave well. It appears to open and close properly, but it butchers my face, unlike all my other 1950's models. I've tried to use it several times using proven blades without luck--Any suggestions on how to fix?
Besides the pictures Simon requested I would also say that from my experience the 1970s black handle super speeds are simply more aggressive than the earlier counterparts. To me it feels much more blade forward than the others. It makes for an effective razor to be, but I can definitely see where you are coming from in comparison.

Let’s first check the photo’s, and in addition you might want to check if a change in angle works if you haven’t already which I assume you have. A second thing compared to the other ones the 1970s is aluminium mostly so very light. I have a tendency to use more pressure with lighter razors even though my brain says I shouldn’t. That gives me harsher shaves with the black handle as well.

Cheers,

Guido

Besides the pictures Simon requested I would also say that from my experience the 1970s black handle super speeds are simply more aggressive than the earlier counterparts. To me it feels much more blade forward than the others. It makes for an effective razor to be, but I can definitely see where you are coming from in comparison.

Let’s first check the photo’s, and in addition you might want to check if a change in angle works if you haven’t already which I assume you have. A second thing compared to the other ones the 1970s is aluminium mostly so very light. I have a tendency to use more pressure with lighter razors even though my brain says I shouldn’t. That gives me harsher shaves with the black handle as well.

Cheers,

Guido
Indeed. On the first generation of the black handle Super-Speed (the diamond bottom plate) they increased the exposure, compared to the 50s and 60s flare tip Super-Speeds. This might be the reason for the cuts.

Does uneven doors cause harsh shaving? I’ve seen many vintage that have misaligned doors when closed and have a couple myself I’ve never used. I believe I read they could be adjusted.

As another poster mentioned, buying a new one may be easiest. You can probably find one for $10 on the bay. If you buy them in razor lots often you can get super speeds of any sort for $3-5 each if buying 10-15 razors at a time. It’s how I have a ton of vintage razors.

I think my mid 70s SS is a great shaver. I’ve tried a couple of the mid 50s ones and didn’t care for them. I plan to revisit since it’s been awhile but the 70s model was great from the start. I just wish it had more weight to it. They might be slightly more aggressive but they’re still a very mild razor and I don’t think it’s the aggression level causing you issues. Make sure the handle is twisted very tight before shaving.

Yes ... several close up photos of the closed doors will reveal the problem . If the shave is truly brutal I would venture to guess the previous owner dropped the razor and misaligned the doors ..

I have a 1967 Superspeed with black handle, and I don’t see a perceptible difference in shave between it and a 1955 Flare tip s/s. I’d say they are both mild yet efficient shavers. A pleasure to use.

OTOH a 1953 “40s style” s/s is a more aggressive and more “angry” razor.

I of course don’t have the breadth and depth of Superspeed experience that other people have, but based on my sample size of two I’d say it’s not supposed to be super aggressive or very prone to cutting. Something is off. Unless there was a major change in gap between 1967 and 1974.

Very likely the baseplate has been bent from being dropped. When the guard gets bent downward, both gap and blade exposure increase, and the razor can become very "aggressive", really meaning you have to be very careful with the handle angle.

A few pictures will let us tell you what is wrong.

If it's gunked up and not holding the blade well clamped down it will eat your face too -- I've had a couple adjustables that didn't hold well, if the knob backs out in use the blade is floating around, this is NOT a good thing!

Top Bottom