What's new

1902 Damaskeene

Very interesting. If we are to assume this was some type of mistake during the manufacturing process doesn't it seem likely these two were made at the same time?

This certainly is a puzzler!!!

It would seem that these razors were stamped incorrectly. There is the reference to D.Irving's post showing another 1912 razor having the same date issue. Unless this is the same razor, there were at least two.

As the OP suggested, these frames would have been produced as sheet metal blanks which were then stamp pressed to form the necessary impressions - the logo, artwork - and likely the pat date of 1912. The stamp presses used a die to form the reverse image in the metal - the imprinted artwork. In order for these razors to have been both stamped incorrectly, they likely would have been made from the same die, as Hoosier Trooper suggested.

ASR may well have made a bunch of these before correcting the die. I imagine that they would have went through many dies when producing any particular razor as the dies would 'dull' and wear out relatively quickly stamping thousands of images. Who knows how many they may have stamped with the 1902 date?? Pretty bizarre!

Just a note on this style of razor - the term for the 'door' is cover-plate. The whole reason for the 1912 patent was a razor frame that held a blade tightly in place and automatically set it into position with a spring actuated lever. This was done in what the inventor, Scheuber, called 'one operation'. That occurs when the cover-plate is closed and an actuating lever firms the blade against the blade stops. Put another way - when you close the door. That is what makes the Scheuber 1912 style razor such a pleasure to load.

Regarding the 'curved' cover-plate issue - the patent for this razor detailed a cover-plate which was described as convexly concave. The curved 'door' therefore is the original design. I have no idea how the flat cover-plate fit into the picture, or why it was done. (There was no separate patent required for it as there is no change in functionality, and therefore the original patent would cover any modifications.) I personally much prefer the convex cover-plate as it rides ever so nice over my stubbly mug!

The '1902' version of the Scheuber 1912 is pretty neat though - a keeper, I would suggest.

:thumbup1:

P

Pjotr

Very interesting. If we are to assume this was some type of mistake during the manufacturing process doesn't it seem likely these two were made at the same time?

Stamped on a Friday after drinks just to confuse future collectors!

Thankyou RocketMan and Hoosier Trooper for sharing your knowledge of this razor and this company. I am sure for most of us, knowing the background and history of these design and engineering and marketing successes adds so much too the shaving experience.

Oh...since I have one of only two "1902" 1912's in existence, which no doubt makes the razor worth thousands, if not millions, it is definitely a keeper. :001_rolle :lol:

Plus, it shaves so damn well. :thumbup1:

And now I'm on the hunt for a true 1902.

Last edited:
Was not the closest shave ever, but definitely the one of the most comfortable. No blood, no irritation (post-alum stingless). I judge it not BBS, maybe DFS, but definitely CCS.

The SE angle is a bit different than DE and you will get closer and better shaves as you practice.

I know I have a weak spot for my SE razors. I get better & closer shave with my Damaskeene and BRW handle (Cooncatbob) than I do with most of my DE razors.

I believe Tom would agree with me.

JB

still amazed at what i accidentally stumbled upon.

Attachments

• $1902.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
there is a 1 in front of the 9, just cant see in the pic. the stamping error had to be the reason for this as you mentioned Tom, the numbers look kinda strange

Well then, that is pretty cool.

I notice that between the two "1912's" in today's mail, the Damaskeene has a curved "cover" or "door", and the other one has a flat cover.

Also, as you can see in the pics, the Damaskeene has the Gem Safety Razor Corp, New York, USA. My other 1912 simply has the word Gem in that spot.

What accounts for those differences?

Both of my 1912 Damaskeene open combs have the exact same verbage on the back, these were the earlier versions of the 1912's best I can tell.

And as an aside, I also have a 1912 Damaskeene with a common flat door. Not to say it wasn't swapped at some point which would be simple to do, but wear marks indicate they have been living harmoniously for quite a long time. I think extra parts were used up as changes were made through the years personally.

Last edited:
Nice find at a nice price. :thumbup1:

My "1902" Damaskeene is my favorite SE razor; nay, my favorite razor, period.

A close second is the Micromatic Clog Pruf. And the Schick E-type ain't bad either. :001_smile

I enjoyed re-reading this 3-month old thread. Reminds me of the best 3 months of wet shaving - with an assortment of SE's - I have ever had. :001_cool:

i really really love this razor...... it shaves a bit differently than my other D's. just a tad bit closer.
Not saying its due to the date "misprint"
Ive noticed of my 4 damaskeenes, they all shave a little bit different from each other. The stampings, the blade exposure etc... all differ slightly.
Tomorrow I will strop an old D blade and give it a whirl. Glad I have a dozen of them, I dont expect miracles with each one.

Top Bottom