What's new

$14 shipped. 1974 Superspeed. Any good?

IMG_1212.JPG
Hi all. I've been meaning for a while to get a razor from the time I was born and finally landed on one that I wanted. A U4 Superspeed. Thanks eBay.

By 1974, I think the cartrige revolution may have already begun, and I sense that the non-cartrige production line may have not been on par in terms of quality with what came before. Am I wrong? Will I love this razor? I'd love some feedback.

In any event, I'll be cleaning this nice looking razor up tonight and take it for a spin tomorrow. I'll probably need to alter my cleaning routine due to the plastic handle.

Well I have used my 1951 super speed but the weight is different on her compared to this variant. I LOVE my 1951, it's a mild shave but very precise and I get a DFS after only 2 passes.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One just like that has had a blade in it almost every day for four decades here.

Congrats, Enjoy!

My 72 and 79 both shave great. They are fairly mild, but will get the job done. They don't feel quite as well built as the 50's, but don't feel cheap either. They're still more than tough enough, just not quite as overbuilt as the early ones.

It's as good as the old ones, just lighter. You might have to adjust the angle just a tiny bit because of the flatter head. But you might not have to. I have a 1969 one.

The Black Handle is an excellent razor. As has been noted, while the overall build quality is not as robust as the early Flare Tips or 40s, the shave is terrific. In fact, some prefer the lower profile head of the 70s Black handles over the earlier Super Speed designs. If you like a milder razor, you should find your Black Handle very good indeed. I find it to be very comfortable and plenty efficient.

I bought a NOS 74' black handle Super Speed about 2 months ago and love it. It is very mild, which is what I like. Works good on my sensitive skin. I haven't used it in a few weeks because I got the Oneblade Core and had been using just it since, but am about to start using the SS and other razors again to spice things back up a bit. Enjoy yours!
Here's the one I got.
SS-1.jpg

I bought a NOS 74' black handle Super Speed about 2 months ago and love it. It is very mild, which is what I like. Works good on my sensitive skin. I haven't used it in a few weeks because I got the Oneblade Core and had been using just it since, but am about to start using the SS and other razors again to spice things back up a bit. Enjoy yours!
Here's the one I got.
View attachment 799575

+1 to you for opening that thing up and using it!!! Awesome!

Top Bottom