What's new

1 Classic edt

I'm looking to own and use just one classic men's edt. I have Pen Englush Fern aftershave, and while not very nourishing, I like the scent. Aqua Velva is another favorite of mine, but I don't like any of the other drugstore scents. Mandom is great, as is L'Occitane. Musho Real is nice too.

The only edt I have is racquets, and while great, it's not what I'm looking for. I like Burberry Brit awhile back. I've read Acqua di Parma is great.

Basically, I'm looking for a classic men's edt, price isn't an issue as I'll be settling on one and not wearing it every day--though I may in the far future. I'm young, but I can't suffer through young scents.

Can anyone recommend a nice, clean, masculine scent that could be used all year long (or a fall/winter/spring scent). I don't want it to be too stuffy or overbearing--nothing worse than too much of a good thing (or a bad one). I'm partially convinced that English Fern is the one.

Also, I read about a malt whiskey edt called A Men Malt or something. It's not made any longer and goes for 200 or so. Awful looking bottle, though. Any other whiskey scents?

Check out Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves St. Laurent. To my nose, it is a perfect, non-offensive, clean smelling, year-round scent. Not my favorite, but I will never be without it.

It makes my head hurt to try and settle on one scent - for me, I'm constantly sampling stuff and continually finding more that I love.

That said, my suggestion if you're really going to throw away all the wonderful variety the world has to offer, is Profumun Antico Caruso. It's a linear scent of almonds over sandalwood. Elegantly casual, but so well made it wouldn't feel out of place with a suit - especially on a younger guy. English Fern would be high on my list as well. If you're not wearing it every day I would also consider Divine L'Homme Sage - it simultaneously feels classic without smelling like anything else I've tried. But it seems a bit more dressed up than Antico Caruso and EF for me.

Maybe get 10ml decants of all the suggestions you get and once you've worn though them all see if you're still on the "One Scent to Rule Them All" kick? :)

If you like fern scents Id get bottle of Alpa FOUGERE EdC , I own about a dozen colognes so I dont understand a one scent to rule them all but for a fougere this stuff is good dont let the price fool you

Check out Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves St. Laurent. To my nose, it is a perfect, non-offensive, clean smelling, year-round scent. Not my favorite, but I will never be without it.

This is the first one that came to my mind, too.

Charles Street is also coming to mind, with your last request of a whiskey fragrance.

Keep us posted on the samples you choose!

Rive Gauche ph is a good suggestion. Another suggestion is to think about a favourite scent in your shave den, such as Arlington or Tabac, and if you might enjoy wearing that scent as a fragrance.

I think you're talking to the wrong guys if you're expecting people to help identify "one" perfect fragrance, but to do our best it would help if you let us know what kinds of scents you like - leather, woods, aquatic, greens, smokey, etc. Are you looking for something for work, night, or both? Do you want it to be subtle or not? Awakening or relaxing? Honestly, the more I've begun to delve into fragrances I've learned that I prefer different scents for different moods. Since my moods are not consistent, I prefer to have options.

thanks a lot for the recommendations, gentlemen. and i know it's a losing battle to ask for only one item with you lot, but i'm at the point where i need to pare down my possessions to the essentials so i can be mobile (and those items tend to be more expensive but purchased again only after a number of years, in theory evening out--unless it's my aqua velva, which saves me loads by fulfilling my asad).

Aqua Di Parma and Aqua Velva in the same sentence? If I had only one, and price were no object, maybe Creed's Green Irish Tweed or Bois du Portugal.

Could not have said it any better. Rive Gauch PH is one of those that smells good, manly but never "old man" vibe, works in every situation. It's not one that blows me away, but it's always good. It's my when-in-doubt not sure what to wear scent. Will always own this.

Aqua Velva is the greatest of all time if you ask me. But i believe it comes only in an aftershave (not a cologne) and it also does not last on you. But it is a true classic.

I have must have a good chemistry with AV cause it lasts all GD day on me!

Aqua Velva is the greatest of all time if you ask me. But i believe it comes only in an aftershave (not a cologne) and it also does not last on you. But it is a true classic.

Top Bottom