What's new

Trumper's Sandalwood

Item Description

I have been eyeing Sandalwood colognes for the past month or so and continually found myself at Macy's on State Street / Chicago to sample AOS' Sandalwood. At a cost of $70 for 100ml, I decided it was more than I wanted to pay. This past weekend I had to go to the mall to buy something unrelated and wandered into an apothecary / beauty shop and saw a complete selection of Trumper products. I immediately zeroed in on the Sandalwood and sprayed myself. The scent is fantastic and my wife at my side agreed. While it was $60 for 50ml, it was an impulse buy and I could care less if it is not the cheapest on the block. It is damn good, lasts for several hours and I already received a compliment from one of my fellow train riders this morning on my way to Chicago. The packaging and quality are nice, one spray will do you fine and I cannot recommend this one enough.

Latest reviews

Price: CAN$70.00 for 50ml? Pricey for what you get. May be worth half, if that.
Quality: Impressed with the longevity, but not with the overall feel of the scent.
Packaging: C'mon Trumpers, I realize you want to retain a classic feel but the packaging needs a make over to bring it up to speed with competition.
Scent: May smell nice on some of the older gentlemen out there, but not a scent for me. It's linear, boring, hollow, and just cold really. There's no warmth here folks!
Complexity: Again, a very linear scent, serves it purpose I suppose.
Staying Power: Very impressed this stuff lasts all day, and longer!
Quality of Atomizer: N/A Tested a sample.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Yet another weird, overpriced fragrance from Trumpers.

I don't even know why they call this sandalwood. It's not even in the same zipcode as sandalwood. There's SOME sort of wood detectable under the massive amounts of cinnamon(?) and sweet herbal(?) notes that dominate this fragrance. After the initial 5 minutes it starts to smell like an apple pie crust...y'know, the butter (yes, I said butter) and cinnamon smell. And it's quite strong. I couldn't take this all day if it stuck around.

And it doesn't. Lasts about 2 hours and then fades into the generic background barbershop smell that all Trumpers scents become.

Scents like this just make me angry. If something is called Sandalwood I expect to smell the sandalwood. Why not call this fragrance Sweet Spice? It would be more accurate.

I have changed my opinion of this since I posted my first review. I'm still a sandalwood purist, but I now appreciate this for what it is -- a damn good oriental that sparkles with touches of the exotic. Very complex with a ton of things going on, but applied judiciously this stuff is classy (but over-apply and get ready to board the Cloying Express).

It's a gentleman's version of sandalwood. I understand that now. And for what it is, it's a winner.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I woke up this morning and decided that it would be a sandalwood day. Shaved with AoS Sandalwood soap, splashed on a little SCS Sandalwood aftershave. Downstairs for toast and a cup of Joe and then got ready for work. Before I left, I reached for that new bottle of Trumper Sandalwood Cologne that I brought back from Cambridge Chemists. Anticipating the perfect finish, I sprayed it on.

All of your expectations of a sandalwood will change with this one. Forget the austere fragrance of Tam Dao. Get ready for a whirlwind of scents. A rush of lavender and bergamot, a furious riot of notes. I'm briefly reminded of the opening of Bois du Portugal, then I'm out the door. As the day goes by, it changes, shaping itself again and again into something new. Now it's evening and it's still with me. It's settled down to a sweet, musky Barbershop scent, challenging me to find the sandalwood beneath.

Think about what it is you want in a sandalwood. Tam Dao is a monk sitting beneath a tree in the heart of the forest, playing a melancholy tune on his wooden flute. Trumper Sandalwood is a carnival, a symphony. If that's what you're looking for, you won't be disappointed. Strong and long lasting--you'll feel that your money was well spent. A quality fragrance at a good value.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
hansonb4
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...
Top Bottom