What's new

Parker 89r Razor

This will be my first review as a new member and one of many more hopefully as I convert from the Fusion madness to the simplicity of DE shaving. I just started in Mid December and the 89r Razor was my choice based upon the low entry price which was $26 plus shipping. With that low price I got a solid nickle handle slightly pitted for easy grip and a solid nickle head which does require your full attention when replacing the blade. Best to twist off and on with a soft rag. My first shave was with a 7 a.m. complimentary blade and I was very impressed with the total experience. I find it to be very user friendly in terms handling and the heavy weight of the razor makes for easy maneuvering around my face. I do consider this Razor to be very aggressive, but please recognize as I do myself that it has more to do with my poor shaving skills and techniques than anything else. I have always shaved going up against the hair growth, because it seem to give me a closer shave. I am still doing this with the DE Razor which I now realize is very hard on my face. I do understand that after a month of using proper technique and training my face to proper shaving, my results will be much better. So I promise beginning this week to only shave using the proper technique and will not convert to my old ways of shaving for at least 3 months. I have ordered several different blades to try with this razor, the 7 am was great but only good for about 3 shaves, the Wilkerson Classic I did not like at all as it never seem sharp enough. Currently trying ASTRA blade which has done a good job. Waiting for my Feather Blade, Gillette 7 o'clock, Iridium Super, Israeli Red Pack, Shark Super Chrome, Sharp, and Nacet Platinums. I would very much recommend the Parker 89r razor for anyone starting out or someone who just wants a good quality razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
I got this from Shaving-Shack and its fantastic.

:shaving:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I can't believe there aren't more owners and more reviews of this razor. I love it, it's a great razor. I've been using it for the last six months.

Quality of finish is excellent. My only critism would be that it can become a bit slippery when wet or with shaving oil on the handle.

It was my second DE after the Merkur 23. I found the Merkur too light and mild for me.

As soon as I loaded up with a 7 O'Clock and took the first stroke I new it suited me. I have sensitive skin on the neck and a tough beard. I carried out my usual preshave routine with oil and a hot flannel then lathered up with Trumpers. I just let the weight of the razor glide across my skin with no additional pressure for a great shave. Two WTG passes is enough.

I have a short trimmed beard and until recently this was the only razor I used (I still have the 23 but, don't use it much. I'll probably give it to Mrs Laughing for her legs!) to shave my neck and cheek area. I've never had razor burn, nick or even mild irritation from this razor.

Additionally I now have a Merkur HD & 11c. I think the Parker 89r is as good as, and very similar to, the HD in some ways; heft & aggression.

I'm using the 11c on the cheeks, as it's easy to see where the blade is for a cleanly defined line, and the Parker or the HD on the neck.

I couldn't pick a favourite out of these three. I love them all for different reasons.

I think the Parker would be an ideal razor for the complete beginner.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I recently recieved this razor and have been giving it quite a workout. In case you can't tell, I'm very impressed with this razor. I know that some say Parker TTO's are not so hot but the 3 piece 89r is fantastic! The quality is, to me, superb. The finish is smooth, shiny as a new nickel, and generally top notch.

The shave has been marvelous. I've been using a Crystal blade in it and have gotten as good, if not better shaves, than with any other razor I've used to date. It just glides across my face with no worry about nicking/cutting myself unless I get really stupid with it. Any razor will get you if you're not attentive to what you're doing.

I'm a little disappointed in the grip though. It's nice to look at and, when dry, just fine. When it gets wet I have to hold on tighter than I would like so it gets a slightly lower mark there.

I also gave it a 10 for adjustability. Of course there are no adjustments on this razor but none are needed. Blade exposure is well calculated and spot on for me.

Blade replacement is typical 3 piece razor and some find that cumbersome. Doesn't bother me but a prospective buyer should be aware of that.

I find the aggressiveness and balance of this razor perfect for me. Not to much, not to little but just right. I've yet to try other blades in it but, with results to date, expect to continue getting wonderful shaves.

Overall, I would say this is as good a 3 piece razor as any on the market today. The quality is top notch, it shaves extremely well and is reasonably priced. You would be well served to have this razor in your rotation or even as your primary shaver. It's quickly becoming my favorite.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)