What's new

Old Spice Traditional Soap

Pros: Vintage quality, looks great on the vanity
Cons: Not made anymore
I bought a mug and unused soap off Ebay, the price was a bit steep, but that's a function of supply and demand I guess.

The quality is unquestionable. The mug looks terrific, real Olde Worlde style, fits in the hand perfectly and has a nice solid feel to it. The soap has survived from ~ 1970 extremely well, lathers easily, supplies a rich and protective lather with ease. The bristles seem to stand up a bit more than usual, making for a close and smooth shave.

The scent has pretty much faded, but there is some scent. I would love to know what it smelled like when it was brand new................but alas!

The lather is wonderful, easily made and super slick.

Efficacy is excellent, a smooth, close, easy shave and the moisturising great.

What a pity it's not made any more, a pox on you progress!!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellant Lather, Hard Watter Proof
Cons: Price, Avalibilty
This soap has ruined me for others soaps. It works so well for me. I've collected about 4 pucks, but is has gotten very pricy. I wish P&G would bring it back.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I just got an early glass mug (1950s) with a puck of unused old spice soap in it off the bay for $5 +shipping. I don't know how on earth that happened but I am very grateful the internet must have been down for everyone but me. :thumbup1:

I'm not sure if the soap is original to the mug or a replacement puck since there was no cover. It was fairly dusty and had a nice crust on top but I could still see the ship logo. It also had a very very faint scent, maybe my imagination... After giving it a good scrubbing I gave it a shot. In just a couple of swirls lather was pouring over the sides of the mug. I transferred to my bowl and worked up a nice creamy lather. It was amazing how much water this soap could take and the resulting lather had a very velvety feel when I brushed it on my face.

The performance was good. not as good as Tabac but I'd say on par with MWF or Cella for me.

If you can find the soap with the mug for under $20-25 I'd say go for it. Its similar in price to buying DR Harris in a wooden bowl so you get a good soap and a nice collectors mug that's different than any other soap out there. I'll definitely use this puck up if only for the unctuous feel of the lather it makes.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price has gotten a little crazy lately, but an excellent soap. Coming in a nice reusable mug is a plus. Lather is up there near/with the best of them. It's not the easiest soap to lather, but it's plenty easy. I didn't notice any unusual moisturizing or drying properties.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I popped for a new in the box puck on Ebay...the demand has increased since the original review was posted.

At $5 in an antique store, our good friend Thunderball got a steal. Expect to pay four or five times that for a refill or puck with mug.

Even though still in the wrapper, my puck had no Old Spice scent, but instead had a rather pronounced soapy smell. After I lathered up, I couldn't resist adding two drops of vintage Old Spice cologne to the puck...Ahhh, just like I remembered.

The lather produced with very little effort was thick, rich and slick. Face lathering with a lightly loaded brush, I could get those whipped cream peaks, and the razor got an amazing, gliding ride.

The three pass shave left my face feeling tight and a little dry...but, after an alcohol splash and a few minutes, that effect was gone, and I was left with a clean, natural feeling...not moisturized, not dry. Just clean.

I know there are richer, creamier products available today, with elegant scents. This soap isn't really better than the best out there now.

What astounds me about Old Spice shaving soap is the idea that not too terribly long ago, a guy could walk in to the corner drug store or supermarket and get a puck of tallow based soap that just flat out performs great, for what you'd pay for a can of shaving cream.

I'll use the rest of that pristine puck, and because I will, there is one less puck of Old Spice shaving soap in the world. What used to be an afterthought that was always there is now becoming scarce, and unlike our solidly built safety razors and straights that will withstand the ravages of time if cared for, this stuff is really going away.

I'd love to see Proctor & Gamble bring it back, but sadly I think the desire to do so and the ability to pull it off is not there.

The scent of my Shulton Old Spice soap has faded away, and in a short while the scent of all the Shulton Old Spice products will be gone, victims of use and time. When I use this stuff, I enjoy it, but there is a little dismay involved also.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Ok, this stuff is amazing. Find and hoard at all costs. I found this unused at an antique store for 5 bucks and it just blew me away. The scent has definitely faded but I was still taken back to my grandpa's bathroom and being a kid, shaving beside him with my plastic razor. The quality of this stuff is superb and I had an amazing shave. Extremely dense, slick lather and left my skin moisturized. I'm a happy camper! :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I finally bought a mug & soap set that were unused. I paid quite a bit for this ($26 for the set, unused & in the original box) but it was something I have wanted for a while so I was willing to pay. Considering I got the mug too, this ended up being about the same price as my C&E Nomad in the wooden bowl.

While it was still in the original packaging, I have to think that the scent was stronger when new. I was also surprized how the soap scent is more soapy - like Mitchells Wool Fat - and not as old man spicey as I had expected. I was mildly disappointed in this as I thought I was going to have a very nostalgic experience. I do like the scent but it was not quite what I remembered my father using when I was a kid.

I found the lather to be fantastic. Thicker than I have been able to produce with MWF and slicker then my Nomad. I acheived an effortless CCS with no weepers or irritation using my 38C and a fresh Derby and was able to make 3 passes face lathering without needing to return to the mug.

But the moisturizing effect of this soap blew me away!! My skin is quite dry and I follow every shave with Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizer as many ASB just don't seem to cut it for me. But so far (2 hours since my Old Spice shave), I am yet to use any moisturizer and feel as though I don't need to. My skin feels creamy to the touch and is not tight in any way. I have not had this feeling from soap or cream alone - ever. On my off days when I don't shave, I can see myself using this soap for some lather and a hot towel treatment just for the pleasure and moisturizing effects.

While some may have these mug & soap sets in thier collection, I am eager to use this product in a regular rotation and will try to find refills when necessary. I have many collection pieces that I have not used, but this one I used within an hour of it arriving and I will enjoy using it again and again.

So for any collectors out there, I have an Old Spice mug & soap set original box for sale!! :w00t:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I miss the days that you could go into a store and get great products like this at an everyday low price. In the 70's, Old Spice pucks retailed for .99, the same price as the canned foam.

Well, adjusted to today's prices, Old Spice canned foam still retails for .99, so I don't think that the soap would cost much more than that. How wonderful it would be if we could walk into a store and buy a puck of this soap for the same price as Williams or VDH...

Anyway, onto the soap itself. If you can find a puck that hasn't lost its scent, it smells just like vintage Old Spice. It performs well; nice, thick, easy to get lather and a non-drying slick shave. The puck seems to last quite a while as well. It's not the best soap in the world, but you'd be hard pressed to find something to complain about.

When I first started using it, around seven or eight years ago, OS Soap went for less than a dollar a puck on ebay. Try finding some for that price now! Is it worth ten dollars a puck? Not really, to me. Maybe with a mug or as part of another set, but I really don't see myself paying twenty dollars a puck as I have seen recently over on Ebay. It's one of those soaps that is always welcome in my den, but I don't go out of my way to get.

It would be great if P&G was to try to market a new version of this soap. But we as wetshavers know how indifferent Proctor and Gamble are towards our needs and requests, so I would be very surprised if we ever saw this on the shelves again.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Wow. This stuff is really amazing. If you can find some, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's no longer in production, so it may be tough to find, but it's out there.

The soap I found was not wrapped, so there was no scent left. What it lacked in scent, it more than made up for in efficiency and effectiveness. It lathers like there's no tomorrow and my blade just glides over my face.

The resulting shave is smooth and clear.

Tallow goodness at it's best.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I agree, this is a very good soap and I enjoy using it on occasion. I marked it down on price as the refills seem to go for too much on ebay in my opinion, more than likely because I remember the retail price. I also marked down the scent as it just does not hold up after opened, more than likely because of the age of the soap available. At one time it was to be found in every drug store, just like Williams still is.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It seems I am not alone in my use of soaps that were readily available in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. Since these soap’s are still around in shops and on eBay it seems appropriate to have a review of them. Lets be clear that this review is based on my current usage of the product, not my recollections of how it performed when I first began using it 30+ years ago. I am currently shaving with a puck of Old Spice, from the 70’s, which I purchased in its original packaging about a week ago.

First Impressions – As noted above, the soap I purchased was in its original packaging. No box but had the red cover they came with in the early 70’s. It had darkened a little bit but there were no cracks or shrinkage in the puck that I could see. It still had its distinct fragrance. Not unlike Old Spice AS, from the period, but with a soapy note. It was very dusty so I gentle removed the puck and ran the mug through the dishwasher. You could still see the Old Spice logo in the soap.

Price – I paid $5 for the puck and mug I am currently using. I see prices on eBay in the $10 to $25 range. At $5 I think it is a steal and I think $10 to $25 still very reasonable with the mug included. Refills are in the $10 to $12 range on eBay, which I feel is still reasonable for a good soap.

Quality – I have to rate it very high. This soap is 30+ years old and still retains its shape, logo still clearly impressed in the center of the soap. It’s a large soap I would guess in the 4 oz range. I am guessing it is a tallow based soap. Like a few other high quality soaps the puck feels slick in my hand. The center depression is molded very deep into the puck and makes a very nice starting point for your first shave.

Scent – Like I noted above the scent is clearly Old Spice AS of the period with a soapy note. It is a light fragrance, which is pleasant and doesn’t linger after your shave. This maybe due to the age of the bar, but again it points to the original quality of the product.

Lather - Lather is outstanding. The manner in which it loads on to my brush is very similar to Tabac. I can load my brush in 4 to 5 swirls and have lather starting to foam out of the mug. It loads heavy enough for me to face lather a complete three-pass shave. The lather I built is not as thick as Tabac but richer than say my C&E Sandlewood.

Efficacy – I rate efficacy as a value of slickness and smoothness, which allows the blade to glide across my skin. Old Spice performs well in this category, above average, I would say similar to a Ogallala Bay Rum.

Moisturizing – Again this soap is very strong in this category. I rinse my face after each pass, before I re-lather, and my face feels like I have used a lotion. Since I have very oily skin I feel it almost has too much moisturizing for me.

I would recommend anyone to try this product who enjoys exploring the traditions of shaving in the US.. I guess that would be most of you. Overall I would rate it a buy. It seems to be easily available on eBay at a reasonable price point. I will be ordering a re-fill puck this afternoon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)