What's new

Not so Humble Shumate Shuraco

I have two of them. I find they are great shavers, they just lack a bit in fit and finish.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
3.00 star(s)
This is Shumate's Shuraco Razor, in fact, that's the way it is stamped on the razor, which is one of the first unusual things on this St. Louis MO razor... (Now I say Shumate, like Karate, and I hope thats right, and if it's not to bad, it sounds better :001_tongu
Most of the Shumate's you see are fairly straight forward razors, most have fancier than normal scales, and that's what has drawn me to them. All the ones that I have come across have better than average steel, they sharpen easily, and seems to hold an edge just fine. (this relates to the ease of maintenance, and lasting edge ratings, since most of us are a little fanatical about our straights, does this even matter any more?????) I have started collecting more and more of these Shumate's and as I do I like them even better. This model must have been something special, because it was dressed up nicely. The blade is highly polished with the Shumate logo gold washed on it, I would guess the blade at a full hollow, but not quite a extra hollow, the blade does give a little tune as you strop it, but it is not a full singing blade, and that could be due to the small size. The blade is a 5/8 but it is a short 2.88 inches, Myself, I love smaller blades, because of the ease at which they trim around facial hair. If you like a big heavy blade, this one is defiantly not your cup of tea. The scales are black, gray, and white, cracked ice, and look to have original pins. The part that I love though, and why, I wanted this razor is the tang, it is inlayed with MOP (faux maybe) and that, just sets off the whole look of the razor..
Anyway this is fast becoming one of my goto razors, and I thought I would share this with the forum

View attachment 11667

View attachment 11668

View attachment 11669
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain