What's new

MR10

Pros: Cost, function
Cons: SLIGHT appearance issues on non-shaving surface; blade can be placed "crooked"
The actual Maggard razor I have is the MR1. It's a little shorter than the 10 and the handle is a basic knurled pattern.

PRICE: 8/10 - There are cheaper options out there. There are also MUCH more expensive options. The Maggard razor is inexpensive, I believe it goes for ~$15. I purchased mine as part of a starter kit that ran me ~$60 total.

QUALITY: 8/10 - The razor looks very good, and the finish is nice on the shaving surface. The baseplate has an odd manufacturing mark on the underneath, as the holes don't appear to be round. They are round on the top side. The out of roundness is not evident when assembled. Also, it is possible for the blade to not be even when assembled. This resulted in my first nicks.

User Friendly: 7/10 - This is marked down due to the care needed when aligning the blade. However, it is still very easy to assemble and use. As long as you LOOK at the razor prior to shaving, no problems. And once assembled, the blade stays in place.

Grip: 9/10 - The grip felt very natural. I did feel it a little slippery ONCE, but my hand had a lot of cream and water on it.

Ease of Replacement: 6/10 - This is a 3 piece razor, so it's not a drop in replacement. As mentioned, look at the blade to ensure it's straight. But once in place, it is not going anywhere.

Aggressive: 6/10 - It's my only razor, so hard to say. They mention the gap is 0.030" and the same as EJDE89 series.

Adjustability: 1/10 - This is actually N/A

Balance: 10/10 - I literally just picked this thing up and started shaving. It's very natural and can provide a great shave.

I would highly recommend a Maggard razor to a beginner. The price is inexpensive, and it feels like an actual tool when upgrading from cartridge/disposables. Also, they have great customer service and their starter kits can provide one stop shopping and quality stuff to begin.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent value, heavy and balanced, grippy
Cons: Not very aggressive (could be a pro)
Having begun my journey only three months ago, I am reluctant to write reviews, but maybe my experience could help others new to traditional wet shaving.
My Maggard MR10 is my third safety razor. After a month using a Merkur 33c, I gave in to the lure of a Slant, likely too soon for my technique. When I learned of Maggard Razors, a brick and mortar shaving supplier not too far from my in my home state, I had to visit. I had previously ordered from them online and experienced their legendary customer service, so I was confident that I would find kindred spirits, and I was not disappointed.
My shift to the MR10 was a little bumpy at first as I honed my technique and learned the best way to use my new tool. The thing that stood out right away with this razor is it's heft... Much heavier and longer than my Merkur. The added weight gives me extra confidence that I can use gravity and reduce pressure to get a great shave. The handle is deeply patterned, almost like a chrome plated brass snow tire - I knew I would not be dropping this baby. The handle alone is with the extremely reasonable price!
The head looks great, with no plating issues I can see, and certainly nothing that could effect the shave. This thing shaves like a dream for me, a bit more aggressive than my Merkur, and smooth enough that I have not used my other razor in weeks. The only break in the streak happened when I decided not to pay the $25 fee to check my bag at the airport. Those two days of shaving with disposables made me miss and appreciate my MR10 that much more.
I've been telling people looking for a starter kit to go for a Maggard - great quality for half or less of more famous brands. You could get six Maggard razors for the price of one Ikon!

Appearance: 9/10 - it's a beauty, see for yourself!
Quality: 8/10 - excellent
Value: 10/10 - I cannot think of a better value, sub $20 for an excellent performer!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)