What's new

Mountain Spring Soaps "Cherokee Forest" Shaving Soap

I stumbled across this soap at a gas station while visiting my grandma in backwoods Tennessee. Apparently it's handmade in TN, with glycerin retained. Sounded cool, and at $5 for 6 oz, I figured I'd pick up a puck and try it out. The scent was phenomenal! I almost like it as much as Tabac (fear not, Tabac-haters, the scents are worlds apart). I was wary since it appears to be primarily olive oil, but curious enough to give it a go. Packaging was pretty neat, very handmade looking, but not very protective. A cottony, almost cloth-like paper was wrapped around it with a sticker on the top and bottom. Attractive looking, in a modest way. Sadly I trashed the sticker with the ingredient list :blushing:. My bad. I DO remember that it had olive oil and coconut oil primarily, and that the list was quite short as soaps go.

So I brought it home and tried it out. I tried it with a lot of water, a tiny bit of water, a normal amount of water, a ton of product, a decent amount of product, and very little product, a synthetic brush, a cheap badger brush, my SOC boar, and my 830 boar. I tried bowl lathering. I tried face lathering. I tried lathering in my hand. I tried rubbing the puck on my face like a shave stick. I tried soaking the puck. I tried working a dry puck.

It sucks. The lather looks OK for a few seconds, but quickly fades to nothing. It appears to moisturize decently, but I wasn't really paying attention to that after the crummy lather. This lather fades faster than my first attempt with Williams! :lol: I barely had time to pick up my razor before all the lather was gone. I didn't even try shaving with it. May as well shave with a dry face :eek:

Also, I've had the soap for about a month and it's fading fast. I use it as a shower soap, now, but it seems to shrink with every use! It's about twice the size of my normal bar shower soap (Dial or similar), and seems to be lasting roughly half as long. Pretty weak stuff.

Price: $5 for a monster 6 oz puck. A deal and a half if it was good stuff, but it does seem to fade quickly 10/10

Quality: Crap, 0. Lather fades to nothing. No cushion, no slickness. I feel bad about giving it a zero since it smells so good and works as a shower soap, but it IS marketed as a shaving soap. 0/10

Scent: I love it! Stays around for a bit, too -- doesn't disappear once you lather like some. 10/10

Lather: WHAT lather? It's already gone. 0/10

Efficacy: This is not a shaving soap. 0/10

Moisturizing: Eh. Skin feels pretty good afterwards, but I'm not one who really pays attention to moisturization unless I'm outstandingly dry or thoroughly soaked. 8/10

If you're interested in obtaining some very scentual shower soap, you can find it at http://www.mountainspringsoaps.com/
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)