What's new

Monseiur de Givenchy by Givenchy

MDG was originally introduced in 1959. This is the same sort of "gentlemanly" type scent you'd expect from a British company like Trumpers, Penhaligon's, or even Floris. Definitely not stereotypical department store or designer fare. In fact, if this fragrance was put out by one of the aforementioned companies instead of Givenchy, I'd imagine it would be much more popular here and in other circles.

Anyway, this a lighter scent than many classic colognes and definitely has the "British" feel to it like I said. It opens with a small citrus burst then goes through a brief herbaceous and slightly woody phase and ends with a soft, barely sweet, almost powdery drydown. Sorry guys, my nose just isn't that sophisticated where I can pick out every micro-note but there are a few different things going on here and it all smells very nice and very subtle. This is a "lighter" cologne but not watery. Even so, I would feel fine wearing it in any season for almost any occasion. It also doesn't have the kind of strong, powerful woodsy spiciness that would cause a younger guy to stereotype it as an "old man" scent.

This cologne is also very reasonably priced if you look around. About $40-45 from an online discount store or somewhere like Amazon.com. If you buy it at a fancy department store, expect to pay a bit more, probably around $75 or so. I have the newly reissued bottle and it's nice. The only thing I don't like is the cheap plastic spray cap, but otherwise it's fine. If you prefer the older, short bottles with black tops, many stores still have that one in stock as well.

Overall, highly recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power