What's new

Merkur Progress

This is my first DE razor and has served me very well the past week I've used it. The grip could be improved, but I've had absolutely no difficult manipulating it. The Progress feels very solid in my hand and well balanced. The angle at which its used is very similar to holding a cartridge razor, so glising it around my face is easy.

The lowest setting (1.5) is very friendly. I typically use a setting of 2.5.

I purchased this razor for two reasons: 1) It's adjustable and I can set it as aggressive as I wish, and, 2) Mantic uses one in his videos.

I don't think it'll win many design prizes with the plastic knob, but you can get it modded (nice work, too). Don't let the plastic knob fool you: the Progress DE razor is meant to work and it'll do what you tell it. I've had no cuts from this razor and I've only been DE wetshaving for a week.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
While the Progress does shave well, there are numerous problems which are inexcusable for a "modern" double-edge razor.
- Grip is subpar
- Knob is ugly and plastic
- Razor cannot be "zeroed" when there is a blade in. The lowest setting is 1.5. Makes no sense.
- Changing a blade is more complex than it needs to be. Sure, aligning the head and adjustment knob may seem easy, but explain it to a newbie, and there is absolutely no reason for this bad design.
- Most Progresses have different exposure on each side. Flawed Design.

Gillette was making far more elegant (and accurate!) adjustable razors nearly 50 years ago. As far as new razor's go, this is the best adjustable there is though.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Several people have commented that when changing blades on the Merkur Progress razor the setting numbers on the razor change or no longer line up properly. This happens because the two portions of the razor head have been reassembled incorrectly when changing the blade.

The fixed head portion of the razor has a triangle/diamond engraved on the side. You can see this on picture number five of the review.

The removable head portion of the razor has a line etched on one side - it almost looks like a dent or nick.

This diamond and this line need to be on the same side (line up). If they are not on the same side (the diamond on one side, and the on the opposite side), then the razor's settings will be off.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Merkurs nicest adjustable. It works better than the others, but the design is still pretty poor. Also some quality control problems reported regarding blade alignment and finishing. Only buy if you must have a new adjustable otherwise go vintage or buy the fixed blade HD.

Regards
John
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
A good razor but I also share Randy's sentiments.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
The Progress is a great starter razor provided you don't get unlucky and get one that is at the extreme of tolerances, in which case the gap on each side of the razor can differ quite a bit, or so I have heard, mine is as close to perfect on each side as my can tell.

That said, the grip is only so-so, the adjustment knob is ugly, and changing blades is more of a PIA than the Futur, though most disagree with me on that.

A good starter razor, and perfectly good for a daily razor, but then vanilla ice cream is good to, but I like something with a little more character!

I still highly recommend this razor though. To use a car analogy, it is a Honda, nothing flashy, but it gets the job done well every time!
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
I cut my teeth in DE shaving with a Merkur HD Classic. In the Merkur line-up, the next logical step is a Progress. The Progress is a joy to use. But everytime I replace a blade, the settings are different. I can adapt, but I shouldn't have to. Merkur makes great razors, and I prefer them to Gillette razors. Having said that, they have some quality issues to address. Would I recommend the Progress? In a heartbeat!

Randy
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
IMG_0290.jpg

How to load a DE blade in a Merkur Progress...

IMG_0252.jpg

Step One - Grab plastic adjustment knob at the bottom of the handle and twist counter clockwise.

IMG_0253.jpg

After Approx. 6 good twists the top apparatus will be in its full open position and will be "loose."

IMG_0254.jpg

Step Two - Pull the top apparatus off of the main housing/handle.

Picture of seperated razor...
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Step Three - Carefully insert a double edge blade into the top portion of the razor. (the blade is NOT properly lined up on purpose to illustrate the blade - refer to the next picture to see how it "should" look.)

IMG_0268.jpg

Step Four - Place lower main housing/handle onto the top housing (lined up)

IMG_0269.jpg

Step Five - Twist adjustment knob clockwise to "lock up" the threads and tighten/secure the two portions of the razor to one another. Tighten all the way (as far as you can turn clockwise) then select your desired numerical "aggression" setting.

There you have it - you are ready to get ashavin'

Once you start shavin' you'll quickly appreciate the razors wonderful handing characteristics, great adjustability, and user friendly qualities.
Top Bottom