What's new

Kruidvat shaving soap

I find i must ad my say to these reviews; as i sadly don't like the soap at all.

it's cheap; that's nothing to complain about

quality wise; i think it's fine; a puck of soap in a plastic container;
utilitarian but adequate

the scent is the first real downer for me; it 's extremely soapy and even has a bit of a sharp stingy aspect to it (at least to me)

the lather was OK, not the best i've tried but certainly not the worst either;
i could get a relatively nice cream without a huge amount of effort.

efficacy? what is that anyway? if refering to how long the soap lasts;
it's not rock hard but not Cella/Proraso soft either; so not bad at all compared to the price

moisturizing wise; i must say i have a rather dry skin and didn't find this soap to help with that to much; .

given that i bought this for use at home (when i'm not at uni) i wasn't expecting much; the big problem is that it stings when i put it on my face so i quit using it after a few tries.

if you can live with the scent and you don't experience the stinging; it's a nice product for the money; however it didn't work for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Kruidvat is a well-known chain of Drogisterij shops in the Netherlands. As to hard shaving soaps they usually carry De Vergulde Hand shaving soap for Euro 2 and their own brand, of this review, for about Euro 1.50 ($2)

The price cannot be beat, but should it? The style of packaging is reminiscent of De Vergulde Hand, but the product is, in my personal view, inferior.

Ingredients:
potassium palmate, sodium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium stearate, sodium palm kernelate, aqua, parfum, glycerin, palm kernel acid, pentasodium pentatate, tetrasodium etidronate, kaolin, o-tolyl biguadine, amyl cinnamal, linalool, benzyl salicylate, limonene, butylphenyl methylpropional, CI 77891

An almost pure palm oil soap - what were they thinking?

The smell doesnt remind me of shaving, but rather of cleaning soap. It readily forms a thick lather, but at the expense of some extra product. The lather is long lasting but tends to harden.

A big downside is its skin defatting action. It does so much more than De Vergulde Hand does, resulting in my skin giving a lot of friction during the second or third pass. This is a bloody accident waiting to happen. After shaves with this soap, my face sucks the aftershave balm off my fingers.

Is it terrible? No, its a fairly OK soap, but for me theres no good reason to not spend an extra 50 cents that buys DVH in the same shop, which is that much kinder to my face.

This tub I'll either keep for my shaves in a grim postapocalyptic society, or more likely as a palm soap rich additive to a future soap creation.
Not bad, not good, not me :001_smile
Since I live in the Netherlands I use this brand quite often since it´s quite good and VERY cheap.

Tried the soap and really liked it. Working my way through a tube of same branded cream and loving it as well.

For the price you can´t go wrong. The scent it really mild and the feeling is great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
B
Big Bad Rick
Cheap as dirt but absolutely nothing to get excited about. The scent is plain and soapy, it lathers decently but it’s not slick enough for me, and it gives a rather dry, uncomfortable feeling - a good balm is necessary to soothe my skin. All in all, a reject for me.

Rick
Apparently, this brand which is made in Holland is very cheap, but it performs really nicely. It's got rich, slick lather to it, as well as a pleasant, clean scent, and it leaves the skin feeling soft, and well moisturized. I recieved it as a gift, along with a HUGE amount of other goodies this week from a very dear friend in this group!! :smile: :smile:

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing