What's new

Edge active care moisturizing cream

Latherability, I put N/A because it is a NON LATHERING Formula.

This and a couple of others in its line have been discontinued. I bought the Deep Cleansing formula, and was using it whenever I would travel. This is truly a remarkable product. I found out that it has been discontinued because not enough people were buying it.

I think people pick up shave creams expecting each one to make lather like a foaming mouth of a sick dog. Well, not EVERY shave cream is made to create a lather. This one certainly isn't. I also think most guys don't bother to read the BACK of the tube where it clearly states that it is a non-lathering formula.

Why enough people weren't buying this product beats me, but I can guess that most people don't know how to shave, and weren't doing it right with this cream.

This cream is pretty much one of the best failed mass market products I have ever used. I believe they got the formula right, but just not right for the 'mass market'. They should continue to create this product and sell it on order basis directly so customers like us who are peeved about its discontinuation from WalMart can still get our hands on it.

Again, a great shave cream. They should have put "Non Lathering Formula" right on the front of it for most doofus mass market guys who do not bother to check the various instructions all over the tube.
Don't be fooled, it provides more protection than some full lather creams.
I wish I had gotten the other flavors of it as well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have been using this for a while. Have enjoyed it with every shave. Does clog razors easily. The smell is not the best but ya get use to it. Works well in a steamy shower. Will keep in my arsenal.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS STUFF!!!:biggrin:

I have used this shave cream with a Gillette Fusion and a Feather DE "Popular" w/Feather DE blade; no matter which razor I use this cream worked like a dream...and I even tried it with a Gillette Mach3 DISPOSABLE:eek: and it still worked like a dream.

The moisturizing and lubricating properties are wonderful.:w00t:

The price is just right, obtainable by everyone and I think it works better than some high-end brands...even better than the Trumper's Sandalwood I used a while back.:blushing: I realize I might get some flack from some of you out there, but I really do like this stuff if you can't tell by now.:001_rolle

After the shave, you don't need any aftershave or moisturizer, this stuff does it for you; or at least it left my skin soft, supple and moisturized.

I do have to admit, the scent could be a little better...it's masculine, but I like stronger scents in my products...imho:blush:

If you haven't tried this stuff yet, go out and pick up a 5.5 ounce tube at your local market or drugstore and enjoy!:wink:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Reading the reviews, I thought I might be OK using this product. I received it for "free" after purchasing at Target and then checking my receipt at home and noticing it was not there. Otherwise based on the reviews it was going back, unused, for a credit.

This stuff is awful for my face. I usually use a brush and Proraso green shaving cream but figured I would try this for a change. No matter how much you try, it is impossible to add this to a cream and have it make any later. It must have some anti-lather ingredients. It was worth a try just for the scent!

So I used it according to the directions. Apply directly to the face. It has a nice slippery feel and the scent is just delicious, especially if you like peppermint (I bought the revitalizing scent). I have never had a worse shave, even when I was using Edge Gel for all those years. I have been DE shaving for a few months now and can almost always get a very smooth shave in 3 passes. With this stuff I had tons of nicks and my skin could only tolerate two passes. I think this stuff is quite aggressive letting the razor get quite close to the skin, so performance-wise the cream works quite well.

The other downside that others mentioned, that I dismissed, was the clogging of the razor. This stuff is sticky! Not only did it stick to the sides of the sink, but it also got inside my Merkur HD and required not just taking apart and rinsing, but taking apart, rinsing and wiping to get the stuff off. I only appied a very light coating, as you are supposed to do with brushless, and yet it still stuck and clogged everywhere.

What was intended to be a quick shave this morning ended up taking *longer* than a traditional brush/lather/DE shave. Not good. I suppose I should have just used it with a disposable Gillette or something instead of the DE.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This stuff is just shockingly good. I think it is more slippery and lubricating than anything I've tried. I am kind of surprised that it is not generally more praised, but I guess that's because it is brushless and found in regular stores.

If put on too thick it can gunk up the razor, but that is easily fixed by applying a light coat and rinsing between passes with running water.

For my own beard, I can't get that close on my neck and under the chin without going against or across the grain and it would be so irritating I didn't do it. What I've found is that I can make against the grain passes with this stuff with no irritation. I save my brush and other soaps and creams for passes with the grain, then I finish of with Edge. Scent is OK, certainly not overpowering. Two thumbs way up.
The price seems very good for something that is similar to the Clinque Cream Shave.

Quality is what is to be expected in a product made by a large corporation- clean package, basic tube and easy to handle when hands are wet or covered in the cream.

Scent- used the revitalizing one and for some reason reminds me of chewing gum- not bad went away very fast after Alum/Lavender/AfterShave Lotion by Feather was used.

Efficacy- very nice and seems to allow for any extra pass if you take remaining from your hand or face to reapply.

Moisturizing- works very well here- left my face soft during and after the shave-

NOTE: I use a Feather A/C when using this product- does not clog anything and allows for a very close and smooth shave. did get a few weapers- but they were in the same spots as earlier this week when using another product.

Would buy this again- not use it with my DE set-up and keep it for the Feather only- washes up easily form the Feather and also takes hot water very well. Would recommend washing your face with hot water between applications- opens your pores to take in the moisturizing.:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've used it, and I believe that the key is using a very thin layer. It's a brushless so you are not looking for a big creamy lather on your face.

I've used it for travel and it has worked fine for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I liked this stuff alot, really helped with my dry skin issue this winter.

You need to rinse the razor much more often than you're used to to avoid clogging. Works fine with my DE, just make sure the face is good and wet and rinse the blade often.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Actually enjoyed it. Was the last grocery store brand that I bought before I started using a brush (which was just over a month ago). Definately did not cake up on the face - rather a thin layer (recommended). The moisturizing properties - because I used hydrating - were better than I thought they were. I was using (and still am until I move to the straight) Fusion and I did not see any razor burn and had no trouble with ingrown hairs. Slightly cooling effect but felt very nice on the face. Would highly recommend it to someone who is not using a brush. I didn't try all the different types but I would have if not for finding wet shaving.

I thought it lasted long enough to not get frustrated with an empty tube. Before using this, I tried the obvious gels, barbasol, and even different Zirh products such as their cream and clear gel. I liked Zirh clear gel the best, then this product as a second. The reason I did not use this product as much was because my mother-in-law bought me what seemed to be a lifetime supply of gillette gel last Christmas...:001_tongu
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
It will gunk up you DE razor with just one shave. If you are willing to take your DE razor apart & clean it every shave; then it works?
But for me, I threw my tube of Active Care in the trash can.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is a nice shave cream;it comes in 3 versions : hydrating (the one reviewed), revitalizing (pepperminted) and deep cleansing.
The first time I used it, it was kind of unusual, because it's not as thick as a lathering formula, but it lubricates and proctects really well; this product has lots of emollients and moisturizers (which is important because I have dry skin and a tough beard).
The result : smooth shave, no irritation.
Scent is not luxurious, but I like it ; it's a marine scent (well, kind of).
The cream can clog a multiblade razor if too much is applied, but it rinses off easily.

Description (from the tube) :

* Moisturizing Complex Softens and Hydrates Skin.
* Enriches with Vitamin E and Pro-Vitamin B5
* Dermatologist Tested

Edge ActiveCare® shave creams go beyond razor protection to give you vibrant, healthy looking and feeling skin while providing a close, comfortable shave. The shave creams are enriched with antioxidant Vitamin E, moisturizing Pro-Vitamin B5 and soothing marine extracts - all proven to actively improve skin.

Non-Lathering Formula : a thin layer is all you need.

Ingredients :

Water, Palmitic Acid, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax Nf, Sunflower Seed Oil Glyceride, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Myristyl Myristate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Dimethicone, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Synthetic Beeswax, Panthenol, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/CapricTriglyceride, Sea Whip Extract, PEG 150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide

DISCUSS HERE
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability