What's new

Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge

While I'm a huge lavender fan, I am not terribly fond of Oxford and Cambridge. I purchased it blind, because it was reputed to be one of the finest lavender scents out there. Word to the wise: sample this one first. It's too expensive to get unless you know you love it.

I agree with Kingfisher that the lavender note is dominated by others, such that this doesn't smell so much like a lavender cologne as a multi-note affair with a pronounced lavender profile. Mint is in the mix; whereas Kingfisher noticed "dirt," I thought more of a dark oil, but I think we're on the same page. And like Kingfisher, I liked the dark oil/dirt note. On the whole, however, I find O&C too heavy and stereotypically "masculine," which isn't what I look for in a lavender cologne. As strange as it may sound, when I smell it I keep thinking this is what Polo would smell like if it was intended to be a lavender cologne.

As a side note, my former girlfriend said O&C made her gag, and refused to be around me if I chose to wear it. There are others, however, who love this scent, so as always, YMMV, and try before you buy.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I can't believe there's not a review of Oxford and Cambridge yet.....

I picked up a sample of this from Chuck, and I've been using it off and on for the past few weeks.

Out of the bottle, the stuff smells like peppermint leaves and wet dirt (maybe not quite mud). I love the smell of peppermint, but I think if it were a pure peppermint smell it would be cloying and overly sweet, so the "dirt" note (for lack of a better term) is welcome. In the first half-hour, though, the wet dirt can be almost too much, and it borders on "musty." There is no time point at which the peppermint doesn't come through, however.

There is supposed to be a prominent lavender note to this cologne, but to my nose it is overwhelmed by the mint and the dirt. The lavender is definitely there, though, and comes out more as the day goes on. It's like you're walking past lavender bushes but you're stomping on peppermint plants under foot with every step.

Silage is minimal; that is to say, the scent stays close, which is OK by me. Longevity is surprisingly good. I catch whiffs of it throughout the morning and into the mid-afternoon.

This is not a complex scent, and sticks to mostly peppermint, dirt, and lavender throughout dry down until it disappears. That's OK with me, because I really like the scent and don't need it to change.

Some have criticized O/C as being too cold and aloof. I don't get that at all, but it is certainly not sweet or oceanic, and it doesn't smell like anything you're likely to find on the shelves at the local mall.

As I continue to wear O/C, I like it more and more. I think of it as an elegant, sophisticated scent. This is an expensive scent, but I am feeling more and more like I need to spring for a bottle of it because it's just that good.:001_wub:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)