What's new

Cyril R. Salter Luxury Shaving Cream Fresh Mint

Tried the bullgoose sample too. I didn't like the scent, but for people that like mint... I don't think they would have a problem with it. I would be interested to try their Wild Rose scent. The cream lathers well, although I didn't think it was very moisterizing.
Price: The price is quite good. It comes in a jar bigger than most for just $18.

Quality: Very good. It is definitely a luxury cream comparable to TOBS, GFT and T&H

Scent: The scent was quite strong. It smelled like a chocolate mint, junior min, York, Andes mint, etc.

Lather: The lather exploded in my mug. It was rich, thick, creamy and cushiony

Packaging: I got it in a sample from bullgoose, never seen the full packaging

Overall: Quite a good cream. I would consider purchasing it. It was quite refreshing to open my sample and build lather
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I received a sample of this and the mint cream from Bullgoose Shaving. Because it was a sample I rated the packaging and price as N/A. I have used these creams for a little over a week.

Scent: Opening the sample container, I was stunned. I thought it was going to be peppermint. It was spearmint. I love spearmint.

Lather ability: Initially, I had a hard time getting good lather. I switched from bowl lathering to face lathering and the quantity and quality of the lather and the ease in which it was produced with improved dramatically.

Moisturizing Properties: Its summer in Texas, dry skin isn't a problem right now. However, I found the moisturizing properties to be quite good. My face felt felt great after the shave, very supple.

Quality: The only negative thing about this product is that the scent quickly faded for me once I made my lather.

The scent of a product is a big part of my morning shave. I like big bold assertive scents that stay with me through the length of my shave. I realize that once I rinse my face and the residual lather is gone, for the most part so is the scent. If the scent of this product would have had more punch and more staying power through out my shave I would have rated it higher. That being said, I can see myself picking up other scents of this cream in the future because in every other category it performed very well.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Thanks to Bullgoose Shaving, I too am able to try out a couple of the Cyril R. Salter creams.

I must start this out by saying that I am more of a soap and NOT a cream guy, but the greater variety of scents that creams offer makes them appealing. I must also state that I am not much of a "mint" kind of guy, and therefore found this particular scent fairly unappealing, but as mint scents go, it was quite nice and clean, I would think of this as more appropriate for the winter time (Christmas, candy canes, and all that.)

As far as the ratings go, well I must express some disappointment in the lack of a standardized scale complete with guides to use, and therefore personally chose to use an "8" to express general "correctness" or "perfection" if you will. Therefore "8" is a scale that is exactly what it should be, higher and it exceeds ALL qualities that should be found in the category and anything less would indicate a failing in that category. It also goes without saying that in some areas personal tastes could apply. Also I am of the opinion that some categories should NOT be applied to overall ratings (things such as packaging and scent should be used as a guide to personal choices, and price should be used to gauge overall value and not product quality)

Overall I find this cream to be better than one can expect a cream to be, lathers easily and allows a great range of water ratio to suit an individual's tastes. While I did not personally care for this particular scent, it was a nice mint scent that I would say would appeal to those whom prefer a mint. Price is about right for a good cream, and moisturizing was also correct, I do not want a product that goes out of it's way to moisturize when it might not be appropriate to do so, but also want a product that does not end up drying as this would be undesirable. Again, overall I would say that if the scent were something that I personally desired, then I would, without any doubt or moments of hesitation, purchase some to add to my rotation, and plan to do just that with a couple of their other scents. (This coming from an admitted "soap guy")

As always YMMV and all that.

Bob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Phil from Bullgoose Shaving graciously sent ten of us on the board samples of Sublime, and Mint creams to sample.

Price: This comes in a 6.76 ounce container. TOBS comes in a 5.3 ounce container. This costs 18.00 per tub, TOBS costs 13.50 per tub. Doing the math, this costs $2.66 per ounce, and TOBS costs $2.56 per ounce. So there is a ten cent difference between the two, that being considered, this is an excellent value.

Quality: Top notch, performs at least equal to TOBS.

Scent: When I first opened this, the scent was so wonderful, I thought briefly about eating the shaving cream. It needs a warning on the label: DO NOT EAT THE SHAVING CREAM! It's minty goodness; the smell reminds me a lot of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Yum! Waking up to the refreshing smell of mint is a great way to start your day!

Lather: This erupted into wonderful creamy moisturizing lather, with very minimal effort. Lather easily lasted through my 3 pass shave, with no degradation of overall quality.

Packaging: Sold in a 200 ml/ 6.76 ounce container with a double snap lid.

Overall: This is top notch shaving cream, and I would definitely not hesitate to pick up a tub, or two.....currently I have a huge stock of shaving cream, so I need to resist the temptation to buy....
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Yet again, thanks to Bullgoose giving me a sample.

I am a mint fanatic, so this cream was right up my alley! To me, it smells like a mint-based ice cream (light mint notes with a hint of creaminess - similar to Haagen-Dazs Five Mint ice cream). While the lather was fantastic, lasting for 4 passes, it did not provide as much cushion as Tabac or Trumpers (which was not surprising). Nonetheless, it will make a great summertime shave cream. It is one of the very few shave creams that has not caused my neck to get irritated and its scent lingered for a couple of hours after my shave. Overall, I would highly recommend this cream as a supplement to your summer shaving rotations!

- Chase
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I too got a sample from Bull Goose and my lather was a little dry (but I may have been a little frugal on the amount used).

The price point is great because the normal tub is massive!

Qaulity is good as well. I think Salter creams are made by the same company who makes TOBS.

Scent - ehhh. Mint is not my favorite scent (IMO it smells like toothpaste) but there are some mint-heads out there who would get their jollies with this cream.

Easy to lather!!

Overall I thought this cream was pretty good and leaves me wanting to try more of the Salter products.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
D
Thanks to Bullgoose giving me a sample of this, a review.

Price: $18 for 200ML. Not bad for how little you have to use. Great price for what you are paying for.

Quality: Quality is the first word that came to me when using it.

Scent: Mint is my favorite scent.

Latherability: It will take you zero effort to lather.

Efficacy: It definitely has the capacity to produce an effect.:biggrin:

Moisturizing Properties: Very much so.

Packaging: My sample was packaged well. The product comes in a sturdy plastic tub with a double snap lid to protect freshness.

Recommended for someone that likes using quality products. Its hard to describe it. A good cream like this can automatically make your shave much better. I even relaxed my technique and the cream took care of me. Great stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)