What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Yeah, I miss Williams now that I'm working on other soaps. These all lather much better, but it takes a lot of water to get them slick, and they don't feel the same. I am getting good shaves though.

As far as blades go, my Rubie is hanging in there, longer than I thought it would in a Tech. Will last 80 shaves anyway (I'm at 78 now) and maybe more, depends on what my stubble is like after dinner. The Blue Diamond Titanium is not going to get that far, even in a Slim on 7, just not getting really close shaves from it. It also bites, I think there is a crack in the blade close to one end, quite annoying. Another week will get it past 70 shaves and I'll change. My Polsilver is going to last forever, I think-- still very smooth and sharp at 77 shaves, and the Dorco Prime is still hanging in there too. Won't make 90, but maybe 85.

It's quite strange to miss shaving, I used to hate it. Sunday we had a lightening strike that broke the power line at 4 am, and we didn't get power back until almost 11. Blew up the cordless phone and my DSL modem, so spent most of the afternoon getting that all sorted and skipped shaving. Bugged me all day that my shave count was off!

I'm trying to resist the urge to make more shave soap -- I have a couple pounds of it already, plus all the commercial ones I have, and won't really need any more soap for at least a decade, almost as bad as the collection of blades I have. I probably won't live long enough to even test them all twice at 5 blades a year.

Tossed a Feather after yesterday's shave. It was number 18. I have hit 25 in the past with a Feather. But I had one of those weeks. It started real rough, but the shaves got better as the week went on. Decided that I would change it a bit earlier than I really needed to.

Today was number 11 on an Astra SP in my Slim on 5. Much better shave than last week with the Feather in my Black Handle Super Speed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know the feeling...I too am torn in keeping track to see how far a blade can go.
I have to wonder if there isn't some kind of placebo effect going on. I keep count with a pair of D&D Percentile dice. When I get many shaves on a particular blade I start rooting for it to go all the way (wherever that is), and maybe am less critical.
The last blade I tossed (the Feather with 24) was because it broke. I probably would have tried for at least 30 if it hadn't.

Tonight's shave was a British Flare-tip Rocket / Astra SP (77).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I know that I'm not getting anywhere near as many shaves from a blade as I used to years ago. However, that's because I have a big stash of blades now.

In years gone by, I'd stick with a blade as long as possible, as it was a real chore having to go and track down a replacement pack. I used to tolerate significantly poorer shaves than I do today. I remember days when I'd forgotten to go blade shopping at the weekend, or had been busy doing something else, and had to make a very badly worn blade last yet another week.

I used the plastic packs that had the spent blade slot, and I remember breaking the pack apart once or twice, to see if any of the other spent blades were any better than the one I was currently struggling with.

Hooray for online shopping.

Today, I'll only do the good shaves, and as soon as the blade isn't enjoyable anymore, out it goes. That's typically 10-14 good enjoyable shaves for me, but the Feather that went to 34 was enjoyable all the way

Gillette Nacet #23. It was very tame in the Gillette Slim Adjustable but aggressive in the Fatip Piccolo Mk1, even at a very shallow blade angle. Clearly not a good match for the Fatip.

Shave #13 with my Personna red/Weishi TTO/Razorock Lime burst shave cream. I was perusing the forums and came across a post by another member about Neutrogena Skin clearing shave cream. I have several bottles I've been struggling to use as the cream by itself just doesn't work for me. It goes on clear which I like but trying to shave with it using a DE razor was not a good experience. Luckily the post said that while it wasn't a good standalone cream, It was great as a preshave just underneath the shave cream. I tried it out by working a thin layer of it on my skin first and allowing it to set while I lathered up the Razorock Lime burst. Applied the cream on top of the neutrogena and I found to my surprise that it protected my skin really well while still allowing for the hair to be cut properly. I think I have just found a use for my two bottles of Neutrogena! :clap:

I had a great shave overall. I did learn that it's better to reapply the neutrogena for every pass along with the shave cream. The one pass I didn't wasn't nearly as enjoyable. Got one of the closest shaves since I've started. I did end up with a few small weeper due to too much pressure around my adams apple area but I am getting steadily better at applying less and less pressure. The blade is still going strong so I'll keep going with it for now.

I know that I'm not getting anywhere near as many shaves from a blade as I used to years ago. However, that's because I have a big stash of blades now.

In years gone by, I'd stick with a blade as long as possible, as it was a real chore having to go and track down a replacement pack. I used to tolerate significantly poorer shaves than I do today. I remember days when I'd forgotten to go blade shopping at the weekend, or had been busy doing something else, and had to make a very badly worn blade last yet another week.

I used the plastic packs that had the spent blade slot, and I remember breaking the pack apart once or twice, to see if any of the other spent blades were any better than the one I was currently struggling with.

Hooray for online shopping.

Today, I'll only do the good shaves, and as soon as the blade isn't enjoyable anymore, out it goes. That's typically 10-14 good enjoyable shaves for me, but the Feather that went to 34 was enjoyable all the way

Wow..sounds like it was rough back then. Glad it's so easy to order blades nowadays!

Shave #14 with my Personna red/Weishi TTO/Razorock Lime burst shave cream. Used Neutrogena Skin clearing shave cream again as a preshave and I can definitely tell the difference when I have it on underneath the cream and when I don't have it. Overall a good shave but I felt much more razor burn this time around. I might still be making too many passes in certain areas in quest for that BBS shave. Still need to be more mindful of the areas I'm shaving even though I took about 40 minutes for the entire process. It might also be the Razorock Lime burst cream. Possibly that is irritating my skin more than the other creams I've tried. I'll try a different cream on the next shave and see if that is the cause of the extra irritation. The Blade is still going strong though.

After this morning's shave I retired the Astra SP after 32 shaves. This particular blade was not a best of the brand. It was always eager to nick me. It was often more work to complete a proper close shave but did eventually get me there. I do 3 passes (& 3 brush ups) then search for necessary touch up spots. This blade started in my '47 Super Speed from the start so I could compare against a long run 52 shave GSB blade. I tried the Astra SP in my '57 Ball End Tech for only a couple days because it didn't feel stable in that razor, then back into the Super Speed for the rest of the time. I never tried this blade in my Slim. I like Astra SP blades and have good luck with comfortable long runs with them, however this blade was sub-standard. Early in it's life I logged several shave with it which made me happy, but I was never fulfilled while waiting for the buttery smooth stage with this one.

So I've been shaving with a Gillette Guard for the past two shaves due to the lack of time to do a full DE shave. I must admit the Guard is a great little shaver. When you're short on time or need to travel it's highly recommended. It's pretty sharp and I've learned a few things from using it about DE shaving as well since it is also a one blade cartridge.

Because it's feather light it really is teaching me what super-light to no pressure should feel like. This will be very helpful when I get back to my DE Razor/blade. When I don't prep properly, use too much pressure, go too quick across spots, or too many times over the same area without more lubrication I inevitably get weepers. Case in point was this morning. As I was in a rush I had minimal prep and ended up going against the grain in the first pass in a few areas and across the grain in others. I was also doing it way too quick and ended up with a lot of bleeders to the point where I have read spots all across my jaw and neck area. Suffice it to say I learned my lesson. I should have either just skipped the shave this morning or slowed down a bit more. I find it ironic that I have cut myself more with a single blade than with multi-carts. Gotta respect the blade! :07:

Interesting, spock. Your light touch discussion made me realize that my most recent Astra SP was not working with me too well. It was not cutting efficiently (because it had lost it's sharp edge) so I was bearing down on it for close results, causing nicks & weepers everytime. When I went to my next blade in the lineup, the GSB (23), the blade cut whiskers like a blade should! Consequently, I'm using a light touch and enjoying smooth shaves with optimal after-comfort.

Glad I could provide some insight Anemic! It's so easy to apply additional pressure and not realize it. I thought I was going pretty light with the DE razor but I realized I'm still putting pressure based on my Gillette Guard experience.

I do have a question for you experienced DE shavers. Maintaining light pressure seems easy when I'm going North to south...but other angles and especially around the neck it's difficult. I'm wondering how you guys grip the razor to continue the light to no pressure?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
II'm wondering how you guys grip the razor to continue the light to no pressure?

Securely!

Take the blade out of the razor, keep a secure hold on the razor, and go through the motions of making the passes you're asking about. No water, no lather, no blade. Just a practice pass. Do it slowly and lightly so that you can barely feel the razor touching your skin throughout all the curves and angles. There's your answer.

Just don't make your lather too think/dense as this will muffle the feel.

The weight of the razor is irrelevant, because you don't use it. Hold the razor at the balance point, for better control and more the razor around the contours at skin height. Higher than that will tug and irritate the hair root, and lower than that is applying pressure and will irritate the skin.

My GSB went 27 days in my Slim. Both shaves this weekend were comfortable but not as smooth. The closeness was not long lasting, like it is with a truly close shave. Today I broke out my second-ever Feather and used my Tech. Maybe I should have used my more mellow '47 Super Speed. I had a very comfortable shave, but I left several tiny weepers requiring styptic pencil. I am somewhat intimidated by a new Feather so I shaved with the lightest possible touch. I anticipate the Feather going to buttery smooth in short order.

Today I got up to 93 with an Astra SP.
I have noticed that it started requiring an extra touch-up pass or two at around 90 or 91, but I think I can take it to 100.
Sadly, my percentile dice only go up to 99 so I'll have to come up with some way of indicating "100" for the photo finish. Maybe add a D6 for the "1".

British Aristocrat Junior / Astra SP (97)
Just before this shave I noticed that there was a crack in the blade such that one side of the slot is barely hanging on at both ends. When/if it does fall off it will look like this Feather from two years ago:
I'm pretty sure it's the Fendrihan Scientist Mk I that is doing this, since I've had two Feathers break in identical places after being used in the Scientist, and shave #96 was also with the Scientist.

Keeping my fingers cross that I can make it to 100.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
British Aristocrat Junior / Astra SP (97)
Just before this shave I noticed that there was a crack in the blade such that one side of the slot is barely hanging on at both ends. When/if it does fall off it will look like this Feather from two years ago:
I'm pretty sure it's the Fendrihan Scientist Mk I that is doing this, since I've had two Feathers break in identical places after being used in the Scientist, and shave #96 was also with the Scientist.

Keeping my fingers cross that I can make it to 100.

That's not a good sign, a razor that keeps breaking blades, John. I've not see this occur with any other razors. Is this why they phased the Mk1 head out, or was the combo style just not selling well?

Here's the Astra SP as it was after shave #96. It's a bit blurry, but you can see the light shining through the crack.
Cracked Astra SP blade.JPG

Tonight (#98) I loaded it in a Slim set to 9. Still okay for shaving with.
That's not a good sign, a razor that keeps breaking blades, John. I've not see this occur with any other razors. Is this why they phased the Mk1 head out, or was the combo style just not selling well?
I don't know why. The majority of the customer ratings are 4/5 and 5/5, and the only negative comments were that it was more aggressive than they like. I'm surprised that they didn't continue with the combo design for the Mk II heads, being the best of both worlds. My only wish would be to drill the handle deeper to make it lighter.
I initially thought the cracks might have been something to do with the Feathers' thinness. The first cracked Feather blade was after only 4 uses, and I may have been using the Scientist exclusively at the time, it being brand new. Or maybe torquing it down too much.
I'm going to try loading it with a bit of carbon paper and see if there's a pinch somewhere that should not be there.

Here's the Astra SP as it was after shave #96. It's a bit blurry, but you can see the light shining through the crack.View attachment 904185

Tonight (#98) I loaded it in a Slim set to 9. Still okay for shaving with.

I don't know why. The majority of the customer ratings are 4/5 and 5/5, and the only negative comments were that it was more aggressive than they like. I'm surprised that they didn't continue with the combo design for the Mk II heads, being the best of both worlds. My only wish would be to drill the handle deeper to make it lighter.
I initially thought the cracks might have been something to do with the Feathers' thinness. The first cracked Feather blade was after only 4 uses, and I may have been using the Scientist exclusively at the time, it being brand new. Or maybe torquing it down too much.
I'm going to try loading it with a bit of carbon paper and see if there's a pinch somewhere that should not be there.

Great idea with the carbon paper. It happening in the same spot would lead me to suspect a high or low spot somewhere.

Top Bottom