What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This evening I polished the cap and safety bar of my Colonial General razor.

I used instructions given me by Mike @Esox in this post and several posts following it. About ten posts prior to Mike's post are germane to my decision to polish the top of the cap.

upload_2017-12-15_20-51-37.png

I used 600, 1200, and 2000 wet/dry sandpaper, and polished the top of the cap and the safety bar under running cold water. Then, I polished the cap, safety bar, and the knurling of the handle with Flitz and a microfiber cloth.

Everything was done by hand. It probably took me about half an hour total, not counting a trip to the store to buy sandpaper, but that was just a stop on the way home from work.

My guess is the results could be better and more professional looking, and maybe I'll try it again sometimes in order to make it look a bit better. I wouldn't say I got the very most scratch-free cap top in the world, but I'm examining it under a magnifying glass to see the results. Without the glass it looks fine.

Regardless, the top of the cap and the safety bar look vastly different. The matte finish has been replaced by shiny, polished, gleaning stainless steel.

My objective has nothing much to do with how the razor looks. I'm solely motivated by a desire to increase the smoothness of the razor's glide on my skin while I'm shaving. I suppose I won't know anything about the functional results until I shave in the morning, but it the cap sure feels a lot more slick and slippery now.

The results I'm seeking are not a dramatic change but a significant improvement.

I'm pretty pleased with how good the General looks, and can't wait to find out if there's an improvement in the shave. Oh, the light polish I did on knurling of the handle looks good, too. It's not a huge change, but it is a nice shine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm pretty pleased with how good the General looks, and can't wait to find out if there's an improvement in the shave. Oh, the light polish I did on knurling of the handle looks good, too. It's not a huge change, but it is a nice shine.
Stop teasing us Jim. WE NEED PICS! :001_rolle

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These are photos of my newly polished stainless steel Colonial General. The top of the cap, and the safety bar were polished with sandpaper and Flitz. The knurling of the handle was polished only with Flitz.

GeneralHandlePolishedBottomPlate.JPG

This gives a nice view of the polished knurling contrasted with the matte finish of the bottom plate. The knurling was polished only with Flitz (no sandpaper).

GeneralPolished.JPG

Maybe the best view of the polished safety bar.

GeneralPolishedSVFelce.JPG

This one captures the shiny surface of the top of the cap. I think it flatters my efforts.

GeneralPolishedSVBS.JPG

Not too bad for a first polishing effort.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
TwoMidgets+StirlingBoarJPG.JPG

I've been breaking in some brushes. My Stirling boar has been used a few times, but didn't seem quite ready for prime time. Two new little brushes, the Omega 40033 Mighty Midget, and the Omega 11047 Mixed Midget, have never been used, and are being broken in while they're off limits because of my December to Remember Fixed Four.

The Mixed Midget is boar and badger.

StirlingBoar2Midgets.JPG

The middle brush, the Mighty Midget, is densely packed boar!

The process is going well. It's fun to spend a little time every day with these three brushes soaking them and rubbing their bristles on a towel. Every day or so all three brushes seem to become softer. Occasionally I look at the bristles with a magnifying glass to see how many more bristles have split ends. It's not so easy to count the bristles with split ends but it's the price a serious break in artist pays.

Some of the new split ends show up on the photographs because of my incredible photographic skills and the unbelievably expensive aftermarket camera I had installed into my iPhone.

None of these brushes were 100% dry when these pictures were snapped.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did polishing the cap of my Colonial General razor help the shave? Whether the appearance of the stainless steel razor was improved is subjective, but I think so. Appearance improvement was not my objective.

upload_2017-12-16_12-32-21.png

Without being able to truly A/B test my razor's matte cap vs its polished cap it's impossible to 100% accurately determine how much difference polishing made, if any.

However, I would, after only one shave with the polished cap, judge the smoothness and glide of the cap as definitely improved. I think improved to a significant degree. Is it a game changer? I do not think so, but ask me again down the road. Did polishing the top surface of the cap make any aspect of the shave worse? Definitely not, from my experience with this one shave.

I'm glad I polished the cap and the safety bar.

Also, the little bit of polishing I did of the knurling in the handle made no difference at all in the grip of the handle during my shave.

upload_2017-12-16_12-38-36.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning's shave was pretty good.

GeneralPolishedSVFelce.JPG

My usual December to Remember Fixed Four kit except I've polished the cap and safety bar of my stainless steel Colonial General razor.

I used my homemade shave oil, Lucky Tiger, a styptic pencil, and shea butter.

My face was shaved XTG Ear-Nose. One pass. Touch ups on my lower lip and upper lip.

My neck was lathered twice and shaved XTG in two directions, downward to the left, and upward to the left. There were several minor passes mixed in over various areas.

Almost an hour after the shave I couldn't say my neck is better than a pretty decent DFS. Certainly not BBS. My face is BBS (but that's easy).

Comfort is acceptable, but there is a minor degree of lower neck burning. I believe I'm going to have to totally divorce the shaving of my lower neck from the shaving of my upper neck and treat the two areas totally different. Please remind me to do this.

Just a cut and a nick.jpg

I have a little bump on my upper lip. Maybe it's a mole or something. Really I do not know what to call it. It's covered with skin, and smooth, and raised, and has been there forever. Anyway, I very seldom cut it, but today I did. That is not good, because once it gets cut I have to be very careful with it for a while. Still, not a big deal.

Also, I nicked my chin. Very minor.

Both the cut and the nick were painful for a millionth of a second.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not too bad for a first polishing effort.

Good job! That came up pretty well.

Now you have an understanding how to do it, you can do the rest lol.

I'd have to do the entire head, the neck of the handle and the rounded butt end, leaving the knurled section of the handle satin.

I may have even masked off the smooth parts of the handle and painted the knurled section and then wiped the paint off the raised points to give the deeper section of the handle some colour, but I'd need to be pretty motivated to go that far though lol. Think like the pic below, colour of choice.

SabiNew.jpg

Just remember when you're sanding items like that to keep even and flat pressure and be very cautious on edges and corners or you can change the profile.

Also, I wouldnt suggest doing the top of the base plate or the bottom of the cap unless you can be sure to keep those blade bearing surfaces as flat as they are or even make them flatter. Those are the two most important areas and you dont want to induce any distortion or waviness.

Give the cap a good polishing once a week or so. The more you polish the deeper and smoother the shine will become.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do you think your razor's new "no friction" type surfaces on the cap and guard might have attributed to the above?

And, thinking about it, it's very much unFixed to change your hardware's properties during a Fixed period. Just sayin'.

The cosmetic change to the razor's cap far exceeds the functional change. I don't think polishing the cap caused my cut or nick. I've cut and nicked myself several times in recent weeks. Sometimes I go a long time without seeing any blood, but other times nicks are fairly frequent. They are always a surprise, and not an invited or welcomed guest.

I saw no rules prohibiting polishing the cap, but I get your point, Cal. Pardon my transgression of the spirit of the Fixed.

upload_2017-12-16_14-25-39.png

I just used a splash I very infrequently use. That is all I can do to make up for polishing the cap. I hope everyone enjoys the scent more than me. I do not hate it, but it isn't Special Reserve or Avon Brisk Spice.

Good job! That came up pretty well.

Thanks. Thanks for helping me determine how to do it.

Now you have an understanding how to do it, you can do the rest lol.

Unlikely. Very unlikely. Not impossible.

Just remember when you're sanding items like that to keep even and flat pressure and be very cautious on edges and corners or you can change the profile.

Oh, my...

Good think I knew that already!

, I wouldnt suggest doing the top of the base plate or the bottom of the cap unless you can be sure to keep those blade bearing surfaces as flat as they are or even make them flatter. Those are the two most important areas and you dont want to induce any distortion or waviness.

I wouldn't dream of touching them. There is zero need to. Only downside.

Give the cap a good polishing once a week or so. The more you polish the deeper and smoother the shine will become.

Thanks. I will.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, Rave. Where are the reviews? Where are the pictures? Tell us what you think? Would you consider recommending the razor to others? Have you thought about whether you might like any of the other items Fatip makes?

We all know someone must like these razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim
My ears perk up, Did someone mention Fatips? Let me take you on a journey through the canyons of my mind...my mind...to Fatip the Musical, act three, The Reading of: T'was the Fatip Night Before Christmas and Dream sequence.

christmas-night.jpg

The Reading:

The bedroom is adorned with mistletoe and a Yule log burns heartily in the fireplace upon which stockings are hung with care. There is a Christmas Tree in the corner to the right of the fireplace. The tree is adorned with ornaments of tubs of Proraso, Red, Green, and white, interspersed with sticks of Arko, amidst tinsel and candles. Underneath the tree is a toy train going around on tracks. The flat bed cars are carrying tubes of Proraso past a little village and a tiny replica of Grandmothers house.

I lay snuggled in my bed my head peaking above the sheets gently blowing the tip of my night cap up off of my face then brush it aside. Old St. Nicholas sits in an easy chair next to a stand with milk and biscuits. He is reading me T'was The Fatip Night Before Christmas. I smiled with warm thoughts of glee, as he read the words, "The elders were nestled all snug in their beds; While visions of Fatips danced in their heads". I nod off into a dream and the whole set rotates stage right.

Dream Sequence:

In the center of the stage is a giant replica of a Fatip Pure Badger Brush with streamers blowing up from the top to create the brush head. Little stone Cherub water fountains surround the Brush with little streams of water from each falling into a deep clear pool. The stage has tall columned pillars stage left and right the top of each adorned with alternating OC heads and Gentile Solid bars.

The Rockettes descend a stair case, each Rockette is dressed in nickel colored tailed top coats, Chrome colored top hats, and gold colored leggings, forming a line in front of the Fatip Brush.

rockettes_fb.jpg

The music starts as Anne Murray arises up out of the Fatip Pure Badger Brush and begins singing Snowbird. Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron approach dancing from either side of the stage to meet halfway, center stage, in front of the Rockettes. Four ballerinas enter and dance at the four corners surrounded by toy tin soldiers, candy canes, and sugarplum faeries. Anne Murray finishes the song in homage with a long sustained Fateeeeeep!

R-2769787-1300271985.jpeg.jpg

Waking:

Morning arrives and I awake. I rush to the window and open the shutters breathing in the brisk December air. I turn and run downstairs to the bathroom sink and shave with my Gentile with care (three passes and touch up). My spouse walks in, still in her night gown, and reaches her left arm around my waist, her right hand she runs down my left cheek and exclaims, "My what a handsome, strong, clean shaven Gent". "Let's go downstairs and have some spiced tea darling". "Maybe St. Nicholas was good to you this year and has brought you more Fatips".

spiced-tea-warm_nez1ci.jpg

End of Act Three: Fatip the Musical

fatip-42132-500x500.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
At last my order arrived and I've joined Jim and you other fine gents for the Fixed Four till Christmas.

This will be
View attachment 844518

And here's my first shave (just completed) with the Four:
View attachment 844519

That was sheer luxury. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with the olive gear, but it was fabulous. And as that was the first use of the olive brush and razor... things can only get (even) better! :yesnod:
Cal, you deserve the luxury of it. What an absolutely stunning set up! Who says Fatips aren't beautiful and classy! I love the Zenith brush and it's a fantastic match. I certainly hope we are not done hearing about it! With more pictures please!!! :w00t:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My ears perk up, Did someone mention Fatips? Let me take you on a journey through the canyons of my mind...my mind...to Fatip the Musical, act three, The Reading of: T'was the Fatip Night Before Christmas and Dream sequence.

View attachment 844781

The Reading:

The bedroom is adorned with mistletoe and a Yule log burns heartily in the fireplace upon which stockings are hung with care. There is a Christmas Tree in the corner to the right of the fireplace. The tree is adorned with ornaments of tubs of Proraso, Red, Green, and white, interspersed with sticks of Arko, amidst tinsel and candles. Underneath the tree is a toy train going around on tracks. The flat bed cars are carrying tubes of Proraso past a little village and a tiny replica of Grandmothers house.

I lay snuggled in my bed my head peaking above the sheets gently blowing the tip of my night cap up off of my face then brush it aside. Old St. Nicholas sits in an easy chair next to a stand with milk and biscuits. He is reading me T'was The Fatip Night Before Christmas. I smiled with warm thoughts of glee, as he read the words, "The elders were nestled all snug in their beds; While visions of Fatips danced in their heads". I nod off into a dream and the whole set rotates stage right.

Dream Sequence:

In the center of the stage is a giant replica of a Fatip Pure Badger Brush with streamers blowing up from the top to create the brush head. Little stone Cherub water fountains surround the Brush with little streams of water from each falling into a deep clear pool. The stage has tall columned pillars stage left and right the top of each adorned with alternating OC heads and Gentile Solid bars.

The Rockettes descend a stair case, each Rockette is dressed in nickel colored tailed top coats, Chrome colored top hats, and gold colored leggings, forming a line in front of the Fatip Brush.

View attachment 844782

The music starts as Anne Murray arises up out of the Fatip Pure Badger Brush and begins singing Snowbird. Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron approach dancing from either side of the stage to meet halfway, center stage, in front of the Rockettes. Four ballerinas enter and dance at the four corners surrounded by toy tin soldiers, candy canes, and sugarplum faeries. Anne Murray finishes the song in homage with a long sustained Fateeeeeep!

View attachment 844784

Waking:

Morning arrives and I awake. I rush to the window and open the shutters breathing in the brisk December air. I turn and run downstairs to the bathroom sink and shave with my Gentile with care (three passes and touch up). My spouse walks in, still in her night gown, and reaches her left arm around my waist, her right hand she runs down my left cheek and exclaims, "My what a handsome, strong, clean shaven Gent". "Let's go downstairs and have some spiced tea darling". "Maybe St. Nicholas was good to you this year and has brought you more Fatips".

View attachment 844788

View attachment 844789

Rave,

What an amazing musical. I can almost hear Anne Murray's voice. Gene Kelly finally makes an appearance on Badger and Blade. How appropriate. Yours is a wonderful season's greeting for all of us.

Thanks so much for creating such a Christmas adventure for all Fatip Fans, and, as it turns out, the children to whom we read Christmas stories, and tell Christmas tales.

Certainly this will become a classic, and, just think, it's all from the fertile mind of our

BOSC AMBASSADOR TO FATIP.jpg

Let us hope everyone associated with Fatip will drop by for a cup of hot chocolate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave,

What an amazing musical. I can almost hear Anne Murray's voice. Gene Kelly finally makes an appearance on Badger and Blade. How appropriate. Yours is a wonderful season's greeting for all of us.

Thanks so much for creating such a Christmas adventure for all Fatip Fans, and, as it turns out, the children to whom we read Christmas stories, and tell Christmas tales.

Certainly this will become a classic, and, just think, it's all from the fertile mind of our

View attachment 844799

Let us hope everyone associated with Fatip will drop by for a cup of hot chocolate.

Happy shaves,

Jim
:laugh: Thank you so much Jim. I wanted to bring a bit of Christmas joy to your thead, and the feeling and excitement of the inner child of us all. I believe it worked in a totally BOSC kind of a way. :w00t: :letterk1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

View attachment 844781

The Reading:

Dream Sequence:

View attachment 844782

View attachment 844784

Waking:

View attachment 844788

View attachment 844789

no-i-havent-seen-your-lsd.jpg

Well written, but I couldnt resist haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
While watching football I polished the top of the cap of my General some more with the Flitz. No big deal, but I think it is more shiny now after several rounds of polishing during the game. I'm seeing how smooth I can get the cap over time doing this polishing occasionally instead of digging out the sandpaper again.

Not that I wouldn't sand it again too down the road, to get rid of every tiny scratch.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom