What's new

It's 2017, where are we with BBQ thermometers?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
After 4+ years my Maverick ET-732 died on me last weekend before I put my ribs on the smoker. The sending unit wouldn't power on, and the weekend before it was dropping the connection with the receiver multiple times an hour even after changing the batteries. Are these still the go to model for a duel probe setup or has something better come along?

I just got, and did a first run with, a Thermoworks Smoke last weekend and it's legit at first blush.

Great price too.

The WiFi Gateway and app that are coming this summer is an interesting proposition as well.

Not a shill, but given Thermoworks reputation for quality I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
another vote and rec for thermoworks... expensive but you get what you pay for.
my advice ... buy from their site not amazon.

another vote and rec for thermoworks... expensive but you get what you pay for.
my advice ... buy from their site not amazon.

I just looked at the Thermoworks webpage, nice to see they use the same pro thermocouples they fit with the indoor gear. After years of using many of their products I'll happily give them faith in a thumbs-up referral. I'm going to have to update my grill sensors too it appears. I really appreciate the telemetry receiver.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You pushed me over the edge @jjking54. Thanks for that link, that's even better than the 15% off sale I was kicking myself for missing. The Smoke is more product that I need, but the reported build quality of ThermoWorks made it an easy decision.

Got an email this morning saying the Wi-Fi gateway for the smoke is being released next week.

Trying to decide if I need that. Might be nice

Got that one too :)

They are pricey, but you're right about the quality.

Sorry, but the ThermaQ Wifi is not a good choice at the moment. I´m trying to return mine. The fact that the unit itself does not register any data and there is no cloud server for data means that you have to keep the thermaQ app open at all times. You can not switch to another app or lock your iphone/ipad. If you do, the unit disconnects which means the alarm does not come through and the temperature graph does not register the temp either. This simple limitation makes the whole unit basically useless since it has no alarm in itself.

Sorry to hear it isn't working for you ... hopefully they get the bugs worked out. I haven't bought it yet, probably won't til this gets sorted out

Late to the party but don't sleep on Thermoworks DOT. DOT, as in Do One Thing, is a solid little puck that can interchange probes for pit/IT. Decent price and Thermoworks quality.

Top Bottom