What's new

Kent brushes at Costco

I wonder why? I can buy the same brush from a USA seller for $150, give or take. Anyway, my buddy said he should be posting it tomorrow.

I wonder why? I can buy the same brush from a USA seller for $150, give or take. Anyway, my buddy said he should be posting it tomorrow.
The USA sellers have bonded warehouses and brokers that have the correct paperwork on file with US customs to import badger hair brushes. Any animal product coming in from overseas has a customs process that is different from the average widget. Each brush requires a declaration and specific duty in accordance to it's classification. That's why Simpsons cost double here in conus what you can get them for in Britain. It sucks I know but that's our system. Even the badger brushes from China off eBay require a declaration. If the seller sends in under a different classification than animal product, it may slip through once or twice but the shipper will eventually get flagged and your brush siezed. The big boys have brokers that declare, sign for, pay duty and forward to US sellers. Adding costs.

The USA sellers have bonded warehouses and brokers that have the correct paperwork on file with US customs to import badger hair brushes. Any animal product coming in from overseas has a customs process that is different from the average widget. Each brush requires a declaration and specific duty in accordance to it's classification. That's why Simpsons cost double here in conus what you can get them for in Britain. It sucks I know but that's our system. Even the badger brushes from China off eBay require a declaration. If the seller sends in under a different classification than animal product, it may slip through once or twice but the shipper will eventually get flagged and your brush siezed. The big boys have brokers that declare, sign for, pay duty and forward to US sellers. Adding costs.

Wow. Well I hope this one makes it to me OK then. Anything I should let my friend know about as to how to mark the package?

Last edited:
Well, it's a gift from him to me, no money is changing hands; just one friend to another. I shot him an email but it's a little after 5:30 AM there.

I am the OP and in a strange twist of fate my brush has not arrived!!
So I rang Costco customer services, via the toll free number provided in the order confirmation, to trace the item and the call was answered where??
In the USA....sheer madness.

I am the OP and in a strange twist of fate my brush has not arrived!!
So I rang Costco customer services, via the toll free number provided in the order confirmation, to trace the item and the call was answered where??
In the USA....sheer madness.

Are you in the US or GB?

I'm in the UK, they won't ship to the US but their customer service dept is there..strange but true!

Got an email a little while ago from my buddy that the brush is on its way via Royal Post. That is odd regarding Costco's customer service.

Well mine has finally arrived, I contacted Costco and the parcel was recorded as "lost" and re-shipped.
I have used it 4 times, the jury was out at first as my favourite brush was a Proraso Pro Boar, I have Muhle synthetics and other badgers but the stiff scratchy Boar did it for me.
I have to say I think I am converted it is just a big ball of fluff on the face ( I face lather in cold water) tons of lather, enough for a three pass shave easily, I've tried Williams (not every ones favourite I know) Tabac, Palmolive at 50p a stick but a great performer and my current favourite L'Occitane Cade.
It is a much bigger softer brush with little backbone but the results for me are a winner.

That thing is just sweet looking. I have a mate or three in the UK, I wonder if I could convince them to ship one to me. Or get it and the next time they are in the states to ship it from there.

It is now in my hometown at the local PO. Looks like some of my concerns after reading about the possible customs issues were unwarranted.

I've used it twice now and I LOVE it! I like it even more than my BK4 and that's saying something. I'm so glad it all worked out.

Well, it all worked out and I learned something about the whole badger import thing even if it didn't matter in this particular case.

Top Bottom