What's new

Gillette Silver Blue - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They're talking about different blades,
Raven K is talking about the Gillette
Platinum that is still In production in St.
Petersburg and the other guy is talking
About the blue pack 7o'clock Super Platinum that are over priced and out of
Production what he is saying is that they
Are the same as the 7o'clock India Blacks
I have used all 3 blades many many times
And I am a GSB aficionado and I can tell
You that each of these blades are completely different from GSB's .

Yeah I saw that when I went back and read the entire thread.

I read a lot of reviews and it comes to my attention that Voskhod and the Gillette silver blue both have Teflon coatings, Teflon being slippery & very soft (I use to machine teflon bushings for equipment)is maybe were the smoothness gets this effect. I believe that wiping the blade on a towel strongly is detrimental to Teflon blades. (gentile wipes of towel it seems on most blades with coatings!)
Every razor blade that is manufactured
For the purpose of shaving is Teflon coated
As one of the steps of the shave ready
Protocol then different brands put on
The advertised coating on the finished
Product ( platinum, titanium, chromium )
So what you see listed on the package
Is the finishing coating and that's inedition
To the Teflon coating.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
proxy.php
I just clicked the photobucket.com and it has the pictures there.I'm not sure how helpful but they are neat also to look at.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
proxy.php
I just clicked the photobucket.com and it has the pictures there.I'm not sure how helpful but they are neat also to look at.
proxy.php

I cant see those either lol. Not sure what PhotoBucket has done, but I had an account there once upon a time lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven K is talking about the Gillette
Platinum that is still In production in St.
Petersburg
I find Gillette Platinum a very smooth blade that is just a smidgel rougher right out of the box than GSB, but really smooths out quickly, nicely, with great longevity. GSB is smooth right out of the box imo. Three Cheers for St. Petersburg blades.

I find Gillette Platinum a very smooth blade that is just a smidgel rougher right out of the box than GSB, but really smooths out quickly, nicely, with great longevity. GSB is smooth right out of the box imo. Three Cheers for St. Petersburg blades.
Yes then there shall be 3 cheers

Sounds like my stash of Astra SP. The wax is a nuisance even if the blades work fine. I need to remember to not install them in TTO razors. I shave with an old style SS yesterday after installing a new Astra and the doors stuck upon reopening the razor to rinse after the shave. Excessive wax on my stash of Astras. I'll have to recheck my GSBs.

Does hot water from tap remove the wax?
I generally use my blades two times, once per edge in my DE89, and as I'm shaving I rinse several times in the warm tap water in my shaving tub.

The wax is gone by the time I change my blade. For reference, I orient the wax side of the blade downward to the base plate. I find the wax a trivial matter. GSB is one of my very top blades, and I assume Gillette knows what they're doing here, so I see no reason to second guess them or complain.

Sounds like my stash of Astra SP. The wax is a nuisance even if the blades work fine. I need to remember to not install them in TTO razors. I shave with an old style SS yesterday after installing a new Astra and the doors stuck upon reopening the razor to rinse after the shave. Excessive wax on my stash of Astras. I'll have to recheck my GSBs.
Interesting, because I've found Astra SP has significantly less wax than GSB!

Ron R

Today I had my 2nd shave with the :clap:GSB blade with the:clap: RR37 slant and old faithful :thumbup1:ARKO shaving soap stick and it was the best BBS shave I have ever had possible. It can not get any better in my standard (14hrs later the whiskers are just protruding), showered is all the prep I did and went ahead and lathered with :santa:ARKO, 1 passWTG-2nd pass ATG-clean up with some "j hooking" for the trouble spots just below lower jaw line near the chin , it was smooth and easy with the RR37slant razor. No nicks, scraps or razor burns so that combination of blade+razor +soap+ prep could be my best procedure for shaving. 1st shave with the GSB blade seemed normal like other Gillette brand blades but 2nd shave with some of coating removed showed the edge of blade with the Teflon coating gliding the blade was a joy.(knock on wood for 3rd shave)It seems like the 2nd & 3rd shave will always going to be the best a blade can do IMO.:a8:
All the best

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Today I had my 2nd shave with the :clap:GSB blade with the:clap: RR37 slant and old faithful :thumbup1:ARKO shaving soap stick and it was the best BBS shave I have ever had possible. It can not get any better in my standard (14hrs later the whiskers are just protruding), showered is all the prep I did and went ahead and lathered with :santa:ARKO, 1 passWTG-2nd pass ATG-clean up with some "j hooking" for the trouble spots just below lower jaw line near the chin , it was smooth and easy with the RR37slant razor. No nicks, scraps or razor burns so that combination of blade+razor +soap+ prep could be my best procedure for shaving. 1st shave with the GSB blade seemed normal like other Gillette brand blades but 2nd shave with some of coating removed showed the edge of blade with the Teflon coating gliding the blade was a joy.(knock on wood for 3rd shave)It seems like the 2nd & 3rd shave will always going to be the best a blade can do IMO.:a8:
All the best
This is awesome news. You just wrote down my thoughts exactly. I'm at present on shave number 10 with a GSB! It really was as smooth as shave number 2. Like you, the first one for me isn't as nice. I figure I'm using my face as a strop on the first shave, lol.
I've been using this blade in a Tech and an open comb, maybe once in my RR 37 Slant.
Maybe my next blade will be exclusively in that slant, and see how many shaves I can get....no wonder my wife and son think I'm a nerd, lol!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is awesome news. You just wrote down my thoughts exactly. I'm at present on shave number 10 with a GSB! It really was as smooth as shave number 2. Like you, the first one for me isn't as nice. I figure I'm using my face as a strop on the first shave, lol.
I've been using this blade in a Tech and an open comb, maybe once in my RR 37 Slant.
Maybe my next blade will be exclusively in that slant, and see how many shaves I can get....no wonder my wife and son think I'm a nerd, lol!
I really gotta get me some Arko slipped past the War Department. Never tried it, I need to see what all fuss is about, lol. And I think it costs more to ship it than the product costs, lol, at least it seems that is the case on fleabay.

Ron R

I really gotta get me some Arko slipped past the War Department. Never tried it, I need to see what all fuss is about, lol. And I think it costs more to ship it than the product costs, lol, at least it seems that is the case on fleabay.
You will either like or dislike Arko it seems from reviews I have read so I bought 3 sticks on ebay for around 8 bucks Canadian, when you unwrap the first stick just take a knife and go down about 3/4 inch and cut around the foil and leave the rest of wrapper for holding it. It has the smell of a fresh bar of ivory soap that is strong but it does fad over time.(i just but in a zip lock bag when dried so I can enjoy my other soaps fragrances I have!) I also used a spent underarm deodorant roll up container to put my Arko in for a travel bag and it has a lid on it to keep it getting into my other travel toiletries items. I find Arko a little thirsty so you have to wet the brush a little once in a while to get it the way you like it.It has a good slickness if it just wet it enough IMO. Do a slickness test to see for yourself after first pass with just water to see how it feels if you get some.
All the best

Top Bottom