What's new

Herold 193J Russian leather strop

The Herold Russian leather strops with linen are fine in my opinion. No too much draw, not too little, just right there. Not much in the way of auditory or sensory feedback, but a good starter or expert's strop all the same. The linen is already lined with the white paste, but you might want to pick up a tube of it. Ditto for the yellow tube, as RL is prone to dandruff after a while. A little dab will do you there, a tiny amount spread across the palms prior to hand rubbing. Only to be used when necessary, etc.

I've got the 189 which is the same thing I believe except without the handle; just a D ring. I like mine; the 50mm width will grow on you. As Alan said get the white and yellow pastes to go with them.

Thanks. I hadn't ordered the paste but I will. Does anyone have a preference on brand? Dovo, TI, Herolds?

Sorry David, I beg to differ as applied to the original strop in question. With the Herold/Soligen pieces, we're talking about a linen side that already comes with a neutral (non-sharpening) white paste on it, and the leather side is for day to day stropping of the razor, before or after shaving. The T-I paste is an aluminum oxide-diamond sharpening compound, best used on a dedicated strop for the purpose, not the one in question.

To RickBlaine: as for the difference between the Dovo and the Herold strops, they're the same. The T-I strop is another type entirely, and there we're talking paddles aren't we? Personally, in starting out, I'd stick with the Solingen line (Herold or Dovo) if that's what you had settled on. My comments regarding the pastes were applied to the strop you had mentioned at the start, not necessarily for other types.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Sorry David, I beg to differ as applied to the original strop in question. With the Herold/Soligen pieces, we're talking about a linen side that already comes with a neutral (non-sharpening) white paste on it, and the leather side is for day to day stropping of the razor, before or after shaving. The T-I paste is an aluminum oxide-diamond sharpening compound, best used on a dedicated strop for the purpose, not the one in question.
You're right, Alan. I was just giving my opinion on my favorite of the three pastes that he mentioned, and didn't mean to imply that the TI should be used in place of a daily paste like the Dovo white.

I plan on getting a dedicated strop for the aluminum oxide paste. I'm assuming that eventually I'll have several.
Thanks

You're right, Alan. I was just giving my opinion on my favorite of the three pastes that he mentioned, and didn't mean to imply that the TI should be used in place of a daily paste like the Dovo white.

Okay, thanks. Anyway, I mistook strops for pastes in my further remarks. The Dovo and Herold pastes are the same, a Solingen proprietary production. White tube paste for the linen, as needed, and yellow tube paste for the leather, as needed. T-I sharpening paste works well on suede from my experience, but at this stage, I think we are talking about daily stropping. Sharpening pastes may be a bit premature.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
but at this stage, I think we are talking about daily stropping.
That's what I get for speed reading. Thanks, Alan.

OP I got your pm. As Alan has pointed out, the TI paste I'm sending you is not a daily paste, and will serve you best on a secondary component such as suede or cotton. Use it sparingly, both on application and in use. I would start at 6-8 light laps with the razor and work my way up until you find the sweet spot.

Top Bottom