What's new

Help with my neck

Hello all. I've posted here a couple times in the past so I'm not really a newbie lol. I've been using a DE for the last few years or so.

Well anyway, I'm still having problems shaving my neck. I mapped my beard out and my hair grows from my addam's apple out towards my ears (on the lower half of my neck) and on the upper half it grows down and out towards my ears at a diagonal (it radiates out from chin). I'm having a difficult time getting an irritation free shave on the lower part of my neck. I know I need to shave horizontally out towards my ears but I'm having a hard time holding my DE at a consistent angle.

Does anyone have a beard grain like mine, and if so, how do you handle this? Thanks!

Try going with the grain with one pass for awhile in the neck area and slowly building up your passes and directions. You might just want to shoot for a Socially Acceptable Shave in that area until your technique improves.

I tend to get a fair bit of irritation on my lower neck if I'm not careful. What I have found that helps is never going against the grain. Use slow even strokes, the proper blade angle will come as you can hear the blade cutting. Always have lather on the area being shaved. Use cold water in your prep and shave. Back to basics and keep the pressure light.

Try J hooking. It's an advanced technique. Do a search for J hooking shaving and you will get some good ideas.

I have the same issue with the center of my neck (throat). My hair grows in every direction possible (up down and to both sides all at once).

I find that it takes me 4 full passes and a 5th clean up pass to get BBS everywhere and the throat and a couple areas around the jaw are the worst and what demands the 5th (cleanup) pass.

When I shave my neck/throat I tilt my head up and puff air into my cheeks which stretches the neck area. I also use the flat of my hand just below my adam's apple and apply a gentle downward pressure which finishes the stretching process.

Give this a shot on every pass of your throat area.

If you still find stubble (like I do) when you finish your last pass squeeze out the reaming lather from your brush into your free hand and rub the soap into your neck then puff air, pull sideways, and use the razor in an inverted j-hook pattern to get a "sliding" motion. Be careful here as you are sliding the edge of the blade ACROSS your neck and you only want to cut stubble not your throat. You can also blade buff in every direction which I also do if I want everything gone. Just keep applying later from your hand to the area and take it off, keep your razor wet (rinse often) and stretch in different directions as you work the stubble.

Bit of a PITA but if you want to be 1000% clean shaven this about the only way to get there.

Last edited:
Time and practice will save the issue. For me it was bull frogging and a light touch that solved the problem. I can go in every direction in my neck if I relax the skin and bull frog

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still trying to figure out how to hold my DE while shaving E-W on my neck. It feels like the blade is scraping across my skin because the angle is off. And it doesnt help that I have some hairs on the base of my neck that grow from S-N. I tried shaving N-S on most of my neck and shave S-N at the base but I still get some iritation. This is such a pain in the neck!

+1 for this. I have learned that in 2-3 places on my neck, I just can't ever get a BBS. I have to settle for something less and move on.

Try going with the grain with one pass for awhile in the neck area and slowly building up your passes and directions. You might just want to shoot for a Socially Acceptable Shave in that area until your technique improves.

My neck is tough as well. I like the idea of just going with the grain for a while. And just get an adequate shave on the neck. I rarely get BBS and when I do its luck. Neck/throat area is just a tough spot.

A lot of good suggestions here and you'll probably have a lot of irritation until you find what works for you. I've tried going in all different directions and have gone back to things that I previously tried and didn't work the first time. These are the things that have helped me: (1) I have to make sure that I have moist lather on my neck (this means dipping the tips of my brush in water and going back over my neck again right before I shave my neck for each pass); (2) I do one pass N-S, one pass S-N, and then one pass from ear to adam's apple - and I try very hard not to do any touch up on my neck - you just have to live with what you've got; (3) stretch your skin - turn your head, lift your head, use your off hand to pull your skin down from the bottom of your neck, etc.; and (4) use really, really light pressure, especially on that last sideways pass. That last sideways pass is where I get most of the stubborn stubble, but it is also the most likely to cause irritation, so I need to be most careful there. In the end, just keep practicing and trying different techniques and you'll eventually find something that works for you. Good luck!

Time and practice will save the issue. For me it was bull frogging and a light touch that solved the problem. I can go in every direction in my neck if I relax the skin and bull frog

+1. Bull frogging and cold water shaving works wonders for my sensitive neck area. I still have to be incredibly careful, but this method has worked better than anything else I've tried.

Good luck! Keep trying new things until something sticks.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still trying to figure out how to hold my DE while shaving E-W on my neck. It feels like the blade is scraping across my skin because the angle is off. And it doesnt help that I have some hairs on the base of my neck that grow from S-N. I tried shaving N-S on most of my neck and shave S-N at the base but I still get some iritation. This is such a pain in the neck!

After so many years you should have perfected some sort of technique to conquer that issue. I would do X pattern and lite pressure, that is what i do when i am having a bad neck shave day.

Top Bottom