What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I received a Gillette NEW LC in a PIF, will be using it beginning tomorrow. I was just getting a little proficient with the OLD Type I have. Do they shave the same (angel and short fast strokes)? Or do I need to change up the technique as I go from Old to New?

Thank you to all that answered on how long it took to get your technique down. I'm going to be having my third shave with my FaTip Grande and Black blade later on today.

I might just stick with the FaTip for the month of April, and simply try different blades until I find the one that works best for me to master. I know that later on, I'd prefer to use either Black or Feather blades with it since they give me the best shave in my vintage Gillette razors. I'll miss not using my Fatboys, Aristocrats, and all the others that I have, but I really do want to master the FaTip Grande. :)

Hello gents! Thought I'd post a few pics of some of my latest open comb acquisitions. From left to right (top to bottom in 3rd pic) - Grand Shave King; Gillette Old Type (appears silver plated); what I believe to be a very rare open comb Blinker; a Suisse made short comb (no maker's mark); and a German travel Cutlerix. I had wanted a Grand Shave King for a long while, but was slightly disappointed in it's very mild performance. The short comb Suisse razor performs really well, but my favorite in this bunch is the Blinker. This is now one of my favorites - very smooth and efficient. I'm currently waiting for three more open comb razors to be delivered - a French Rubie short comb, a French Le Coq, and a John Watts "The Gleaner", complete with the protective cap, travel case, and blade cases (I believe this one is also pretty rare).

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Just got my ATT Kronos R2 back from being plated. I loved the stainless finish but since it rusted faster than iron in saltwater I had to do some kind of plating, (side note for the cost of this razor I find it ridiculous that marine grade steel isn't used or at least some type of coating). The plating turned out very nice as you can see. Only have my iPhone for a camera so pictures aren't great.

View attachment 431365$Pic2.jpg$Pic1.jpg

Attachments

• $Pic3.jpg
    $Pic3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 111
I had my second shave today with my FaTip Grande loaded with a Gillette Black, and I'm proud to report that I seem to be getting the hang of it! Only nicked myself when shaving around my goatee just under my lip, and that wasn't very bad. Really liking my OC razor! :-D

As for the stainless steel razor back from plating, congratulations! I hope that it serves you well for many years. About it rusting and all... That's just one reason why I won't buy one from him. Too expensive, and I don't feel the razor is worth what he's asking. I'll stay with my reasonably priced vintage razors with lots of history. But for those that have them and they are happy, I say congratulations. To each his own! :)

For future reference can we please say FATIP not Fatip......mine mutters obsenaties from the den when its name isnt mentioned with respect....help please!

Well the Parker OC should be here today...and I get to open the R41 tomorrow....I am set, for now, when it comes to open combs..... at least until the GRUS is over!

$IMG_20140401_060719_582.jpg
I gave my new Cadet TP01-SS a test shave this morning and let me say, I am impressed. Not overly aggressive and it feels solid in my hand and the head does not feel hollow on my face. Great feedback as I shaved with it and I never felt like it would bite me. Slept late so my shave was pretty quick (less than 10 minutes for 2 passes) and I think it did a nice job. No nicks or weepers.

Calling all NEW experts! :tongue_sm
Were there any variations of the alignment pins on the French Service Set? This is what shows on Achim's site:
$1930s French Service Set England.jpg

Now this is how my razor looks like:
$CAM00829.jpg

Is it normal, or do I have the handle of the French service set, and this head:
$1930-40 NEW in brown bakelite case England.jpg

Top Bottom