What's new

Styptic Pencil- makes scars?

Once in a while I still knick myself and need to get out the pencil...:wink2:
Although it does the job, Im wondering if it causes the cut to turn to more prominent? Like a mini scar?

Im basing this off being still able to see the trouble spots half a week down the road...seem to take a longer time to go away

what has been your experience with the pencils?

Thanks in advance gents

I haven't noticed this myself, In fact, for me it seems to make the cut disappear. Not even a scab next day. This may be one of those YMMV things

I haven't noticed this myself, In fact, for me it seems to make the cut disappear. Not even a scab next day. This may be one of those YMMV things

I have the same effect, I've even used it on small cuts I've gotten elsewhere and it seems to work well.

This may just be an effect of you paying more attention to the area and noticing it more. If anything, I have found the styptic pencil has helped cuts heal up quicker for me.

Have not noticed it myself. I used it to stop the bleeding from a 4" gash across my neck with a straight razor. No cool scar to talk about.

I sliced my cheek and used the styptic which wouldn't work on such a large cut but I kept trying. It left a light scar which I was surprised at since I thought it would heel perfectly. Didn't contribute the scar to the styptic, but now you got me thinking.

I agree that it helps close things off faster- no doubt. Maybe the word "scar" is a bit to harsh- lets call it a "darker mark" :001_smile

So the reason I bring this up is because my understanding of the mechanism of a styptic pencil is that the anydrous aluminum sulfate (or whatever variation of alum) causes coagulation of the blood and constriction of the capillaries (small vessels feeding the skin) thereby stopping blood flow. I know that the skin needs this blood to regenerate new cells and heal itself-
so by that logic im wondering if its a quick fix that might in fact prolong the skins natural healing time.

Just food for thought...

I gashed my head with my DE and used the styptic, sealed it up nice and I do have a scar, though luckily not a 3-d one so I can still shave over top of it. As for cause of scars, I would suspect from my experience with them (my hands have TONS from childhood through time as a naval mechanic) that the biggest cause is contaminants. If a wound has to heal around debris or germs it generally leaves a scar, but a clean wound is likely to heal up like new. So maybe when you use your styptic on a deeper than usual cut the alum compound could work to sanatize and stop the blood flow, but then it becomes a debris style contaminant. I would recommend rinse/washing off all cuts to ensure no soap, loose hairs, germs, etc... contaminate it, apply styptic/alum, then as soon as possible, rinse and bandage (if necessary). Oddly, I have been told by medical professionals that Neosporin causes things to scar up. Can't remember the exact reason, but I recall it having a vaguely similar ring to the

"coagulation of the blood and constriction of the capillaries (small vessels feeding the skin) thereby stopping blood flow. I know that the skin needs this blood to regenerate new cells and heal itself"

Also, doesn't anyone remember hearing that using alcohol/hydrogen peroxide to clean cuts would kill germs and human cells thus slowing the healing process and leading to scars.

Just my 2 cents

I use styptic from time to time and used it on a 2 inch plus SR slice. It failed to stop the bleeding completely on its own, I had to use a bandage for a day. The severity of the slice on my cheek left me wondering whether I would have a permanent "Heidelberg" scar.

Within a week, I could barely see a scar. Within three months, I could no longer see a scar at all.

I get fewer nicks and less irritation with my SR, but also get no significant slices from a safety razor. I quickly learned to stay focused on the exposed SR edge at all times.

HTH

Once in a while I still knick myself and need to get out the pencil...:wink2:
Although it does the job, Im wondering if it causes the cut to turn to more prominent? Like a mini scar?

Im basing this off being still able to see the trouble spots half a week down the road...seem to take a longer time to go away

what has been your experience with the pencils?

Thanks in advance gents

Not sure if you are the same as myself, but I'd say my skin is not very fast healing - I have scars from sun burn (which frankly wasn't that bad) 8 months ago, mark still on my chin from a mole removal 7 months ago.

I was going to buy a styptic pencil and start using it this week, I probably still will do this with some caution.

I posted about this after taking a small divot out of my chin. I, too, wondered about the styptic stunting the healing process. I can't find that divot now.

Top Bottom