What's new

Has Tabac changed?

Has anyone noticed a change in Tabac Original eau de Cologne? I never had heard of it before, but was sent some as part of a PIF which I won. It obviously was older (still saying made in West Germany), and I LOVED the earthy spicy scent. Anyway, I ordered the same thing from Perfumania under a close out deal, and while the smell was somewhat similar, it was more floral. It is ok, but not as good (to me) as the first one... Do I just need it to age (like wine), or did they reformulate and thus, take away something rather wonderful forever?

I just looked at their website, and sure enough they have reformulated several times since the introduction in 1959... <sigh>

i think that my wife will enjoy this more (that's a win for obvious reasons!) but I will sadly miss one of the old fragrances. It was much more masculine and satisfying to my nose.

By all accounts, the EDT is a more floral scent. The EDC is earthier. But some guys on Basenotes were even saying that new bottles (made in 2012) of the EDC had changed to an inferior scent as well. Who knows?

I like Tabac but I have to be in the mood for it. On the wrong day, the carnation note turns musty and it annoys me. And I don't wear it as much these days since SWMBO detests it. "It smells like an old woman's purse," according to her.

Last edited:
By all accounts, the EDT is a more floral scent. The EDC is earthier. But some guys on Basenotes were even saying that new bottles (made in 2012) of the EDC had changed to an inferior scent as well. Who knows?

I like Tabac but I have to be in the mood for it. On the wrong day, the carnation note turns musty and it annoys me. And I don't wear it as much these days since SWMBO detests it. "It smells like an old woman's purse," according to her.

Love the old woman's purse reference!

It is definitely EDC. It is exactly what I would anticipate the EDT to smell like from the descriptions that I have heard here.

I think the missus will like this better because she felt the other was too smokey. So it should make her happy, which in turn will probably be of benefit to me.... But I miss the slight scent of tobacco and spices....

It might be reformulation, but it might also be age. The bright top notes seem to fade with some older fragrances, and they develop a rounder, more mellow scent. That could be what you're dealing with. I don't remember ever seeing a thread before about Tabac reformulation; among common wetshaving frags, that knock is usually reserved for Old Spice (English Leather too). It'll be interesting to hear from some long-time users and see what they think.

Top Bottom