What's new

How Many Shaves From a DE Blade?

First shave is usually pulling and tugging, then 5-6 excellent shaves, then back to a tug of war.
So, I change about once a week.
(Astra, Wilkinson Sword)

Also after two shaves here.

I can't recollect who said it now but I was looking around after starting to use DE razors again last summer and had decided that two shaves would suit me best. I read a comment from a member here which was something like "If I go to a razor and there is a blade in it, it's dumped after that shave." It makes for a handy way to remember especially if you use more than one razor.

I struggled with brushes too and wanted to give them all a fair turn so I keep them in a sequence and use a little piece of Lego to remind me which one I used yesterday. My memory isn't bad, it's desperate :tongue_sm

Mark

I read a comment from a member here which was something like "If I go to a razor and there is a blade in it, it's dumped after that shave." It makes for a handy way to remember especially if you use more than one razor.

I've said this a few times, but I assume others have also. Either way, I agree with it - if there is no blade in the razor, put one in. if there was an old blade in the razor when you started, dump it when you are done. :thumbup1:

I was only doing one shave -- three passes -- per blade. About three weeks ago I experimented with 2 shaves -- three passes -- per blade. I have actually had less razor burn, etc. than with one blade per shave. I have a coarse beard, so I also think this is a big factor in terms of how many shaves you can get from one blade. Compared to the price of cartridge blades, even blades like Feather are cheap, .50 cents to 3.50 average per cartridge.

3-4 Max but I usually bin it at 3, I only shave every other day so it works out at roughly a blade a week.

One rule I do stick to is if I get any tugging on ATG at the sides of my top lip its out, dead cert I'll get irritation on the next shave otherwise.

Here's some of my notes/prior postings on blade changing. HTH.

Anyway, this blade changing issue seems to arise when someone has a fixed notion that a blade should last a week or so, and in fact for them the blade may be past its prime after only two or three or four days due to personal factors. In that case the remaining days are subsequently less than satisfactory, as blade longevity for them doesn't match their expectation or what some other guys report.

Guys here will get 2 to 6 shaves per blade, sometimes more, all depending on personal factors to them. The average is probably 3 ~ 4 shaves or so. Factors are the brand of blade itself, lubrication, sensitivity of their skin, toughness and density of their beard/whiskers, type of razor, number of passes per shave, personal technique, and so on. Only the user can determine when swapping in a fresh blade is needed.

As to when to change blades; at some point, the blade will become 'dull' in that it will not reliably 'shave' the whiskers. 'dull' is relative, because a 'dull' blade is still very, very sharp and can easily cut you.

But the blade will only 'cut' --not 'shave/shear' the whiskers. You will become aware shaving takes somewhat more effort; that the blade is leaving some stubble/uncut whiskers behind after a pass; that there is a little additional 'tugging' or 'pulling' that was not present the day before. So be attentive and change blades accordingly.

The routine I've fallen into is 3 to 4 shaves per blade --that's two blades per week. I don't try to extend this, though I can get two weeks or more of great shaves with the old Personna*74's. That said, you should always shave with a blade that is in its' prime.

-- John Gehman

Between less than one (blades that I find out I hate and toss rather than put myself through them) and 28 (one blade in February challenge, with an Indian Wilkinson Sword, comfortable the whole way through).

Outside those unusual circumstances usually 4 or 5 though. That being said, I don't count the days, when it starts to feel bad or I feel like a different blade it gets tossed, no matter what the number is.

I get 3 shaves with most blades, but with Red IP's for some reason I can go around 8-10, 2 pass shaves without feeling I'm pushing it. It's my fav

Normally I get 3-4. Just got feathers to try; got one awsome shave, second was so so and 3rd shave was rough, disappointed to say the least...

You guys seem to have much more consistency than I do. I use a blade until it feels uncomfortable or starts nicking my face. Sometimes that is as early as 3 or 4 shaves. However, sometimes I come across a blade that seems to last a couple of weeks. My mileage varies greatly on DE blades. Swedish Gillettes, which I can no longer find, always seemed to last up to a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
How many shaves are you getting before switching to a new blade? I expect a lot of variation here, as there are many different blades and hair types.
I use Astra SP's, Derby, and Super-Max Platinums in a Slim set at 4. Generally three passes and cleanup.

I have a fairly light beard, and change blades every Saturday, or earlier if they start to irritate.

Right now I'm using Derby Extras in my '66 Slim and I'm getting 4+ shaves per side. Granted I've got a tough face and can dry shave...but these shaves are VERY comfortable!

Top Bottom