What's new

What's your relaxing and (still) efficient DE razor?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I got a Yintal SS razor recently that is basically a 3-fold-counterfeit.

Timeless handle copy
Game Changer .84 (or maybe .68, I felt less blade than expected) plate copy
Game Changer cap with some Blackbird inspired angle aesthetics

I just shaved with it and yeah, I like the Game Changer .84, mostly with the OC plate (I have all three). But the copy just beat the original in polish and manufacturing. The handle is also very nicely done, great form factor and while it probably doesn't reach Timeless levels, it's above Rex and Razorock quality.

I also love the Executive Shaving Outlaw, which will have to fight for the crown of my favorite soon against the Yintal.

I got a Yintal SS razor recently that is basically a 3-fold-counterfeit.

Timeless handle copy
Game Changer .84 (or maybe .68, I felt less blade than expected) plate copy
Game Changer cap with some Blackbird inspired angle aesthetics

I just shaved with it and yeah, I like the Game Changer .84, mostly with the OC plate (I have all three). But the copy just beat the original in polish and manufacturing. The handle is also very nicely done, great form factor and while it probably doesn't reach Timeless levels, it's above Rex and Razorock quality.

I also love the Executive Shaving Outlaw, which will have to fight for the crown of my favorite soon against the Yintal.
At least look of the top cap and baseplate are unique, similar in principle with what RazoRock did with the Lupo. Yaqi, by contrast, pretty much went for straight copies with a number of their stainless steel razors. I would never buy a Yaqi but I am seriously considering the Yintal.

Nice to hear positive comments on the shave experience. I would feel dumb buying a razor on looks and finding it shaved like crap. (Ahem, wouldn’t be the first time, though.)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would feel dumb buying a razor on looks and finding it shaved like crap. (Ahem, wouldn’t be the first time, though.)

Hehe! I had an even weirder experience. A razor that was objectively great and of high quality, that even gave me a great shave and I still didn't like it.

That was the Henson AL13 Medium for me. I missed blade feel and it was so smooth that I just didn't feel anything. That it was all ultra light also irritated me, and I don't like aluminum haptically.

It is probably the best and most efficient mild razor I ever had, the handle much more grippy than it looks and the clamping for reduced chatter and all other design goals were more than met.

I have way more fun with difficult razors and those giving audible feedback and/or having some blade feel. This said, usually I am doing best with mid to high aggression razors.

I would love a stainless steel aggressive plate Henson for my collection...!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
(still) efficient...

I'm not entirely sure what ⬆ that ⬆ means, but some contenders still come to mind.

FOCS.OldType.FatHandle.2-14-21.640.JPG

• Gillette Old Type (I prefer the OT head on a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech)
  • FOCS (but I like the gold better)

Krona.640.6-18-18.JPG

• Schick Krona (boring, handle too skinny, shaves very well)

5-14-21.Karve.OC-B.CH2.2Band.Vitos.640.JPG

• Karve (this is the B OC plate which is much more efficient than I'd guess it would be; the D SB is also "relaxing" more or less)

IMG_1141.JPG

• Timeless Ti 95 OC (surprise!)

5-23-21.Pet'sGameChanger.68.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

• Gamechanger 68 (extremely smooth, surprisingly efficient)

There are others of course. One, already mentioned, being the excellent SLOC (an amazing razor at any price; I gave mine to a new shaver, but have ordered another).

The problem is what one means by efficient. Of the razors I've mentioned, the Timeless is probably the most efficient, slightly edging out the FOCS, but neither are quite as efficient as what I'd hope for in the ideally smooth and super efficient Pegasus Unicorn.

I would say the Wunderbar is very efficient, and also very very smooth, but it's prone to biting, which, to me, disqualifies it for this listing. Relaxing? Not hardly.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My Fatip razors of course (without a doubt).

Fatip Collection:

1980's Vintage Fatip
002_26.jpg

Schone, Roedter1909, and Joris Palladium Engraved (Fatip produced)
004_25.jpg

Piccolo Mk1, Piccolo Nickel, Piccolo SE, Piccolo Lo Storto, Piccolo Chrome
005_20.jpg

Grande Mk1, Grande Nickel, Grande Chrome, Grande Lo Storto, Grande Lo Storto (spare), Grande Testina Gentile, Grande Lo Storto Gentile
008_22.jpg

Retro Mk1 Chrome, Retro Mk1 Nickel, Retro Chrome, Retro Nickel
012_24.jpg

Black Tie, Black Tie Gentile, Horn, Horn Gentile
014_24.jpg

Noce, Noce Gentile, Wenghe, Wenghe Gentile, Zebrano, Zebrano Gentile, Ulivo, Ulivo Gentile
019_1_20.jpg

Efficient DE "Auto-Pilot" shaves in no particular order: '46 Gillette Aristocrat, New Improved Standard, Fat Boy -- SEs: any GEM/Ever-Ready 1912, VB1/VC1 Auto Strop, GEM/Ever-Ready Lather Catcher. I know it's a DE thread, but SEs get the stigma of being "face-biters" when most of them are really pretty mild shavers (especially the older Auto Strops).

Phoenix Meta4 is my daily shaver. It's the smoothest razor I've tried yet still manages to be efficient due to it's curved design with large blade gap.

Strangely enough my cruise control is set at Mach 3.4 with my SR-71! If I need a quick shave with just water it's my go to.

The Game Changer .68 SB is my favorite cruise control enabled razor. Smooth as butter but surprisingly efficient. It's been my daily driver for years.
It's my current favourite too. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I tried it shimmed to 0.78, and it got some extra horsepower for pass 1, without becoming difficult to use ATG.

If they sold a .76 SB plate (midway between the .68 and .84), I'd buy it.

It's my current favourite too. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I tried it shimmed to 0.78, and it got some extra horsepower for pass 1, without becoming difficult to use ATG.

If they sold a .76 SB plate (midway between the .68 and .84), I'd buy it.

Oddly enough, I just shimmed my GC .68 with 2 shims yesterday to see what a .88 is like. That was was surprising good too.

I'm loving the Fine Marvel loaded with Feathers. Smooth and mindless shave but I still get a nice bbs every time.
The razor is not as elegant as others, cumbersome, weird, and all that, but smooth to a fault. VERY impressed so far.

Razorock lupo DLC
Karve B plate (desig based on pre war Gillette Tech with improved blade rigidity)

This is the first time I'm reading that the Karve B plate was based on the pre-war Tech. That's very interesting. I may already have a modern Tech :). How solid do you think that info is?

Top Bottom