What's new

USPS

Love this thread. Not that I hate USPS or any government entity...:oops:

I live in Southeast Alaska and regularly have packages take longer than expected. Usually my orders go to Seattle to be put onto the barge to be shipped up (literally). I have seen a few destroyed boxes when they get to the door. I recently got a box that was soaking wet and ripped. USPS wrapped it in plastic wrap and put a note on it that basically said, "Your box is broke. Not our fault".

Amazon Prime is a friend of mine.

It's wild to me how all over the place shipping times are nowadays. I'm in California and had something shipped out from the east coast, said it would take 5 days which seemed about right. I got it in 2. On the flipside, I just traded with someone in Washington (state), where priority shipping and really even regular shipping normally takes 2 days. As of now its scheduled to be 4 days from ship to arrival date... seems like no rhyme or reason lately, I've taken to just not even worrying about the days and just trying to be excited when things arrive.

Love this thread. Not that I hate USPS or any government entity...:oops:

I live in Southeast Alaska and regularly have packages take longer than expected. Usually my orders go to Seattle to be put onto the barge to be shipped up (literally). I have seen a few destroyed boxes when they get to the door. I recently got a box that was soaking wet and ripped. USPS wrapped it in plastic wrap and put a note on it that basically said, "Your box is broke. Not our fault".

Amazon Prime is a friend of mine.
I got one of those once... It contained an empty box that had CLEARLY been cut open deliberately. I can only hope the postal worker is who stole from me was fired for it.

Usps has almost always been great for me, but they have had some slips here and there... Right now though they are swamped by home shoppers due to covid, and the current PMG is a massive investor in private delivery sector and is actively sabotaging the USPS.

I got one of those once... It contained an empty box that had CLEARLY been cut open deliberately. I can only hope the postal worker is who stole from me was fired for it.

Usps has almost always been great for me, but they have had some slips here and there... Right now though they are swamped by home shoppers due to covid, and the current PMG is a massive investor in private delivery sector and is actively sabotaging the USPS.
Probably what we would call a "Retirement Plan" huh....

Honestly, we have nearly always had great luck with USPS. There are exceptions, life happens. One box a customer sent us a picture of. The corner was crushed and there was clearly a tire track across the corner of the box. What the? Only rarely do we have any issues.

Another aspect of delays is that with Covid there are USPS workers not able to work for two weeks at a time. That catches them short staffed at the very time they need more staff. So yes, people are ordering more online but there are almost certainly fewer workers at USPS on any given day.

I placed a small order from Maggards on 11/24 that has only shown "package accepted". I ordered from Stirling and Razor company 4 days later and both of those orders arrived. USPS is a slot machine now. Pull the lever and its totally random when your package arrives

Remember when you mailed a letter you put the flag up to signal that there's an outgoing in there? So it dawned on me to try this with a package (Amazon cd return for refund) instead of driving to the post office. No flag, it's one of those multi-unit mail boxes, and the packaged cd wouldn't fit in the outgoing letters slot.

Long story short, left it in my box with printed / paid address label and it got into the system faster than when dropped off at the main post office.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Like capt pre capsize said, I also use USPS exclusively, and so far in over 12 years have not lost anything. OK, sometimes packages go a weird way to their destination and at some times it can take a bit longer than normal - like now before the holidays. Plus this year the pandemic and election has also put a strain on everything, including the postal service.
To avoid going to the PO, I now put my shipments in my mail box and the carrier takes it with him.

I recently had a package shipped from a Milwaukee suburb to my home in the Chicago suburbs. The distance is about 100 miles. The package took four days to travel 20 miles from the origination post office to the Milwaukee distribution center. Once it reached there, it made it the rest of the way in 1 day.

My wife sent a Thanksgiving card first class to a friend who lives 5 miles away. The card took 8 days and arrived after Thanksgiving.

Even some Amazon Prime deliveries are delivered late.

These are strange times we live in, be patient. Remember that we are still a lot better off than the days when mail moved by horse rider, train, and horse drawn wagon.

Remember when you mailed a letter you put the flag up to signal that there's an outgoing in there? So it dawned on me to try this with a package (Amazon cd return for refund) instead of driving to the post office. No flag, it's one of those multi-unit mail boxes, and the packaged cd wouldn't fit in the outgoing letters slot.

Long story short, left it in my box with printed / paid address label and it got into the system faster than when dropped off at the main post office.

I hand packages to my carrier a lot... I try to avoid doing it with high dollar items though as you don't get a receipt and I've seen items be delivered without ever being scanned, so if they were to go missing I'd have no proof that I ever shipped them

Honestly, we have nearly always had great luck with USPS. There are exceptions, life happens. One box a customer sent us a picture of. The corner was crushed and there was clearly a tire track across the corner of the box. What the? Only rarely do we have any issues.

Another aspect of delays is that with Covid there are USPS workers not able to work for two weeks at a time. That catches them short staffed at the very time they need more staff. So yes, people are ordering more online but there are almost certainly fewer workers at USPS on any given day.
I hear ya. I had a package arrive in the town next to me the day before thanksgiving which is less than 30 miles from me and then they sent it over to another state almost 300 miles from me to then tell me it would be late and I had to wait another 3 or 4 day for the package to arrive...I am waiting on a package from You right now and you told me you sent it and it shows you sent it last Saturday But its still showing its Still in IL !!!! oh well I guess we get to enjoy the wait ..

Fear not everyone... USPS will return back to the way it once was once the new administration is in place and finally allocates some funds to them that were taken away 3yrs ago by the current administration hoping to choke it off so there could be no mail in voting!! The hiring freeze will be lifted also and hopefully within a year or so it will get much better than it has been for the last 3-4yrs now...

We have three "distribution centers" within 15 miles of each other. Ordinarily a package goes to one then is transferred to the local PO for delivery. For some reason, packages now seem to bounce between all three, sometimes going through the same one twice before someone decides to route it to the PO. Adds another 2-3 days to the process, but ultimately everything gets delivered......so far.

It is not only packages but regular mail also is taking a long time. Some checks were mailed in MA on 11/23 to FL. As of today still not received.

Living in a small rural town of 300 and some people the post office is only open from like 8 to Noon due to the cutbacks a couple years ago. I think any incoming mail doesn't even get sorted here even if it is sent to a local address. I think it sent to one of the main post offices either 50, 120 or even 160 miles away and sent back here again. End of last year or beginning of this year being in a rush I forgot to put a stamp on my credit card bill and 3-4 days it was returned lack of postage. I am 6 to 8 blocks(maybe a half mile) from the post office. If it had been sorted here I should have gotten it back the next day.

Living in a small rural town of 300 and some people the post office is only open from like 8 to Noon due to the cutbacks a couple years ago. I think any incoming mail doesn't even get sorted here even if it is sent to a local address. I think it sent to one of the main post offices either 50, 120 or even 160 miles away and sent back here again. End of last year or beginning of this year being in a rush I forgot to put a stamp on my credit card bill and 3-4 days it was returned lack of postage. I am 6 to 8 blocks(maybe a half mile) from the post office. If it had been sorted here I should have gotten it back the next day.
They do the same thing here. Makes absolutely no sense. UPS needs to buy the postal service. It would then run efficiently.

Top Bottom