What's new

In Lieu of Soap: Hyaluronic Shaving

Thanks to @Chan Eil Whiskers, I've been using hyaluronic acid as a post-shave with great results. My skin gets irritated by pretty much all lotions/creams, but hyaluronic acid works a treat in this dry, cold NY weather. When I was using it yesterday, I noted how slick it was. I said to myself, "hmmm, I wonder what if you could shave with this stuff like Cremo Creme". I dismissed the idea pretty quickly of course, since it's not in any way intended for this purpose. This morning I tried it.

I've got to say that it worked remarkably well. I simply wet my face, rubbed some hyaluronic acid all over my beard area, and set off to shaving. My razor was a Gamechanger .68, loaded with a Perma Sharp Super on it's 13th shave. Interestingly, it seemed to give less auditory feedback than I'm used to, but it could have been my imagination. The key seemed to be keep the face wet by adding water with my left hand during the shave. I added another dab of HA for the third pass just for good measure. It was a terrific shave; arguably the best shave I've managed this week. No nicks or cuts, and my skin was left feeling smooth and moisturized as the proverbial baby's bottom. I almost rinsed like I ordinarily do when using soap, but then I remembered that this would defeat the whole point of HA. I rinsed my razor, and set off on my day with my skin feeling terrific. My theory is that soap dries out my skin, and HA brings me back to neutral. Without soap in the mix, I went from neutral to great.

I'm not recommending it for anybody else naturally, but it was a really fun shave. I'm going to try it again tomorrow to see if my miles vary. If you're a bit crazy like me, and you've got some that you're using anyway, give it a go and let me know what you think.

It makes me curious what other weird stuff people shave with, and have gotten good results from.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
BOSC.2.All experiments are encouraged.jpg

Which doesn't mean I have the courage to follow (at least right now).

Very interesting and cool experiment.

I think of HA as very inexpensive. The little bottle of the brand I use lasts awhile. As I recall it lasts two or three months used daily (daily post shave).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Brother Dovo,

Are your whiskers soft, average, or coarse? That is useful information for your readers to know.

My whiskers are tough and coarse. I do a three-pass shave each morning. Recently I've shaved several days with Trader Joe's All For One Shampoo, Conditioner, and Body Wash with good results. It's very slick, and slickness is where it's at. I also shave with cool water, which seems to reduce nicks. Cool water also wakes me up without coffee. Another possibility is a drop of the Trader Joe's item on a puck of shaving soap may generate a super lather, though I'm still experimenting.

I think of HA as very inexpensive. The little bottle of the brand I use lasts awhile. As I recall it lasts two or three months used daily (daily post shave).

This is a good point, it was $15.00 for about 2oz, which seemed expensive, but it's been a month or so and I haven't put much of a dent in it. If it lasts 3 months, I guess that would put it in the same price range as most mid-priced soaps. So not really that expensive now that I think about it.

Are your whiskers soft, average, or coarse? That is useful information for your readers to know.

Hard to say I guess. I've never shaved anybody else's whiskers, so it's hard to know how they stack up. They're coarse enough, and thick enough that many razors give me terrible tugging, but I'm not sure that means very much.

I also shave with cool water, which seems to reduce nicks.

Do you mean the iconic Eu de Toilette by Davidoff, or regular cool tap water? If the former, I'm wincing, and my eyes are watering just thinking about it... 😋

proxy.php

Last edited:
I used bar soap from a hotel one time when I was travelling and ran out of shaving cream. I was using a cartridge razor though. It worked ok. I dunno if I would try that with a safety razor.

Hard to say I guess. I've never shaved anybody else's whiskers, so it's hard to know how they stack up. They're coarse enough, and thick enough that many razors give me terrible tugging, but I'm not sure that means very much.

Do you mean the iconic Eu de Toilette by Davidoff, or regular cool tap water? If the former, I'm wincing, and my eyes are watering just thinking about it... 😋

proxy.php
I mean cool water that come out of the tap. Many shavers use that method and like it.

For six months now I have been treating my face before shaving in this order. Hot shower using face wash and scrub with a face brush. Get out of shower and apply Thayers toner and then Hyaluronic acid. I’ll get dressed while letting the products completely dry and be absorbed into my skin at the molecular level. It isn’t meant to be employed as a beard softener. I swear it makes your skin super tough and resilient to any kind of razor burn or post shave irritation. I think it makes more sense to treat your skin with all the goodies before you shave rather than after the damage has been done...or closing the barn doors after the horses have run off.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

Did your bottle have a buy one get one free deal on the label? If so, did you use it?

Just curious as my first bottle is getting low and I was going to try to order the BOGO deal when I reorder...

It is good stuff. 👍

If it did I missed it. I bought the large pump bottle to use as a refill source.

Happy shaves,

Jim

And that's the most inexpensive way to buy it. As far as using it as a shaving creme as the author of this thread described, that's the same procedure you use with Shave Secret shaving oil. The oil coats the skin and it's the water you keep applying that makes it slick, so the Hyaluonic Acid is acting just like shaving oil. Interesting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You can shave using hair conditioner pretty well ... HA gets absorbed really fast, in my experience. Been using it since March.

AA

You can shave using hair conditioner pretty well ... HA gets absorbed really fast, in my experience. Been using it since March.

AA
I started using HA in the summer and I find it funny that most of the beauty products my wife has been buying lately include HA. She hadn’t heard of it when I first bought it and now every new beauty product released seems to contain HA.

Acid, huh? Like...acid? Corrosive? Used in batteries? Like trying to ram Robocop with your van, missing, running into a big tank of acid and ending up like...

download (2).jpeg

Yeah. No. I'll take a pass.

Top Bottom