What's new

Is the Derby Usta the Holy Grail of inexpensive double edge blades?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just wanted to post for closure...I received the Derby Usta blades yesterday in the mail from the eBay seller. I used one in my EJ Chatsworth this morning and liked it...a lot! I thought the first shave with this blade was better than the Derby Premium blades I've used. Hoping for even better results in my Timeless. I ordered 100 at $7.49. As always...YMMV.

The USTA blades are very good and really perform well.Better than an Astra ss more like a Silver Star.They are a little better than a Dorco Prime.Solid cheap blade !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Due to this thread, I bought a 100 pack from the big A. At $7.49 it was worth a try. I had recently been similarly enabled into trying Tiger, Tatra and Silver Star blades, and hated all of them. So this morning I used my first Usta blade. I used a Charcoal Goods level 2, which is the most blade-fussy razor I own. The shave result was top shelf. Super smooth, very close. Near BBS results. So far I am very impressed with the Usta.

USTA is the only Derby blade I like. Sharp enough and smooth. I find the other two Derby blades unusable.
For the price Usta is OK, interestingly Shark is as good or better.....

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I also like it very much. Bought 100 not too long ago. The only other thing I can say is that after three shaves...for me...it's done. But those three shaves are good or better shaves.

I'm currently comparing the USTA and the Chinese Gillette Wikinson Swords against each other in the low cost category. I purchased 100 of each last year and have enjoyed both. I have been pleasantly surprised at how sharp the USTA seems. The GWS is slightly smoother. I wouldn't hesitate to reorder either one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had a second shave with the Usta blade today. Used a Hybrid Tech with an H&S handle. Beautiful shave. As smooth as you can get. These blades seem to be great so far.

I've tried probably 10 different blades ranging in price all the way to the $30/100 end of the spectrum and my blade of choice until my demise is Silver Star blades from Egypt currently 7.99/100. They are by a large margin the best DE blade I've used.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've tried probably 10 different blades ranging in price all the way to the $30/100 end of the spectrum and my blade of choice until my demise is Silver Star blades from Egypt currently 7.99/100. They are by a large margin the best DE blade I've used.

I may have to visit these again. I bought a 100 pack because of reviews like this. On the first shave, first pass, it was so bad I literally had to ditch the blade without getting through the first pass. So I have been reluctant to try one again. Maybe its time to do so.

IMG_20220412_115912.jpgIMG_20210405_141820(2).jpg

I have revisited this blade after a year or so, with a Tech clone, namely the Baili BT131/BD176.

I was not enthusiastic about it when I tried it last year with my Yintal Bronze, but yesterday it gave me a solid shave, glass finish with almost no irritation (and I pushed my luck). It is plenty sharp, it gave me a couple of weepers ATG, but, to be honest, I could have stopped the shave after the first two passes as I was already near BBS.

This blade might work well for razors that can really hold it firmly in place. I will keep using it and see how it goes.

I've had my 5th or 6th (or 7th?) shave with this blade, it is still going strong, probably even sharper than when I started with it.

I have to say that this a solid blade then.

I remember these used to sell for sth like 2.5 euros per 100 in a Turkish website (without shipping costs), now they are at 5.80, but still dirt cheap.

I am retiring it after 9 shaves, although it is not like it is giving me any irritation or weepers, it just makes me work a bit harder to clean up the tough spots and it feels a bit prickly against the skin now.

I have become a fan!

IMG_20220519_232408.jpg

I just picked up some SE USTA for my Twig and (dangerous) Yaqi SE head. Look forward to trying the blades out. The other Deby SE (Professional) I tried was trash, so have to see how this fares. A Broman is also supposedly on the way, so that will be another razor to test these blades on.

Possibly my favorite blade, or in my top 5 for sure. I didn't expect it with how much I liked the extras(although I hear they changed) and premiums. I haven't been able to fit the single edge pre cut blades or breaking in half DE blades in my twig surprisingly. USTA's shave very good in all my other razors, aggressive or mild it doesn't seem to matter.

Top Bottom