What's new

Unsafe Vintage Safety Razor.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Think of how much further ahead of the game you are compared to people paying hundreds of bucks/euros/badger pelts for a custom razor with increased exposure and blade feel. That‘s not just something banned by the Geneva Convention, it’s an embarrassment of riches.

It is a devette as others have already posted. You might want to search this forum for "no guard" also. With very light pressure it will give a great shave using a steep angle. Try it!

Ahh well, I found out who the prior owner was. This may solve some of the mystery.

On the positive side, although you don't have a functional razor, you do have what may be the world's first orthogonal bread lame. I'm not sure how well it will work, but...

Last edited:
If you make the attempt to shave with it, no matter what you do, RIDE THE CAP.
That's what I was thinking; you can shave with that razor riding the cap but riding the bar is going to be dangerous. The cap and handle look in good condition though.
I have heard of folks doing this. Seems a waste of a beautiful vintage Gillette.
The comb was probably in mess anyway with many teeth missing; it was probably the only option left. :lol:

I was talking to a member here several months back about the different safety guards. He stated it was a gimmick all the different types. One thing led to another and I made him a DE-vette
They shave absolutely fine. IF you have proper technique. If not it can be a bad bad thing.

I say use it. It will show you if you have developed proper angles and pressure (very light pressure)
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have never shaved with a devette, but I would not be particularly apprehensive about using one. I have a collection of straight razors that can deliver a bloodless shave. I have shaved with a Muhle R41 which has has a lot of face feel. Thus, with care, it should not be to difficult to use the devette. The main reason I do not want one is that you cannot lay it down without risk of damaging the blade.

Top Bottom