What's new

7-Month Check-In

This one's encouragement for the newbies: It's not a rush! the learning curve will take time. I now expect a year to really dial it in as experience is everything.

Heads up, this is a long one!

The first 6 months was an irritation and blade tugging battle, but I knew I could succeed if I stuck to it. Cutting back the variables was absolutely critical. As a result, this past month has been an acceleration of improved comfort and closeness. A fixed-four for three weeks in March taught me I can't shave closely every day without irritation. First 2-3 days is fine, but then the irritation increases. Doesn't matter if blade is sharp/smooth, fresh/used. Plus my best shaves occur with a little more whisker to catch on.

Lots and lots and lots of research. B&B, YouTube, and more! All fantastic resources. Hats off to you!

I always shave after a nice, hot shower. I stick with hot water for the shave as cold water doesn't provide a different result.

I do keep a personal shave log.

PRESHAVE:
An oil worked OK. Proraso white worked better as it made my hairs so soft with added slickness. I recently picked up one of those tuna-can-shaped preshave soaps, Glyce lime. It wasn't doing much because I was face lathering. Today, I washed my face with the narrow end. Then, slid the wide soap face against the grain once. I bowl lathered, painted the lather on, and the razor slid through with nearly zero resistance. I believe the face lathering wiped away the slippery layer. NO MORE TUGGING!!!

BRUSHES:
Semogue and Omega boar brushes each took a solid 3 months to truly break in. Yes, I even soaked in cold water to begin with.
VDH pure badger and St James super badger brushes didn't lather well at first. It took a dozen lathers or so to break in. The scritch also softened with use.
Yaqi 24mm tuxedo synthetic is fantastic. First two uses were stiff, then softened up beautifully. I can easily lather ANY of my soaps and creams first try.

LATHER:
Been using soaps: Proraso, RazoRock, TOBS, Barrister & Mann. Picked up Bevel cream for travel which works adequately.
It took me 3 months to realize I needed more water! Both at startup and during the process. I rarely see fluffy bubbles anymore. With a couple minutes' time the lather is thick, slick, peaky, and shiny up to three passes.
Proraso is a fantastic beginner soap. I find artisan soaps mostly prepare quicker and smell better. Lathering experience makes a huge difference.

RAZOR:
Woof, Gillette antique RAD got me. Fatboy '61, Red Tip '55, Pre-war Gold Tech, New Improved '21, Old Type '19.
It took me over 4 months to realize I was STILL using too much pressure. Stick to one or two razors to start. It all began with an adjustable Fatboy. I discovered a more aggressive setting allowed for 2-pass DFS with most blades. Fewer passes with higher efficiency cut down the irritation. Too mild, and it barely cut my thick stubble. Old Type is my new favorite right now. Very efficient while allowing wide variability on angle.

BLADES:
Started with sampler ranging from Derby to Gillette Platinum. Once realizing sharper blades work better, bought a sharp blade sampler with Personna, GSB, Kai, Feather, etc. Some worked better than others, but finally found out Feathers are the best blade which doesn't tug, sacrificing comfort. Actually, this may change with today's new preshave epiphany.

AFTERSHAVE:
I always use alum block to gauge my performance and clot the occasional weeper. Tried pure witch hazel, but didn't notice much difference. I mean, it was already in my aftershaves. Nivea Sensitive Balm works amazingly. Recent started using Lucky Tiger aftershave & face tonic. I really like it, but a moisturizing lotion is required. RazoRock XXX AS is in the mail.

Thanks for taking the time to read. To summarize: Some things which didn't work months ago are now common practice today. Always consider there's something to improve on. Just two weeks ago I was able to achieve a comfortable baby-butt smooth face. NEVER GIVE UP!

Congratulations! I too learned that once the year mark approached, I was doing much better. Glad all has worked for you! Enjoy!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Very happy to read your thoughts.

Well done, you have made excellent progress. Good technique with the DE takes time to learn which some novices cannot understand. Sticking to one setup initially is very important. The cartridge and pivoting head with canned foam or gel is much less demanding. However, good lather works for any razor system.

Top Bottom