What's new

Electric humidors

A couple of years ago I stopped smoking cigars because of some health issues that I needed to focus on. I gave the contents of three desktop humidors to a friend as I wasn't sure if or when I would start smoking again. I am now having the occasional cigar and am sure that it will lead to me starting to acquire again. That said, maintaining the desktop humidors was a pain and I now live in an area that can get hot (Northern Connecticut) but don't always need to run the air conditioning, so temperature control is an issue. The answer would seem to be an electric humidor so I'd like to get some input.

Ignoring the absurdly expensive brands, there appears to be three that all appear similar and in the same price range - Newair, Whynter and Schmecke. From the looks of them, I would guess that they are all made in the same factory, in China. Any commentary from someone that owns one of these would be appreciated. I'm curious as to the reliability in terms of maintaining both temperature and humidity and what product you are using to handle the humidity. I used Bovedas in my desktop humidors and was always pleased with them but I'm guessing that it would take too many (or not) of them to maintain something this size, so I really curious if anyone uses them in one of these units.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I have a newair 300
I'm not thrilled after a year the power control board went out and I've been waiting a month for a replacement
if I was to get another I would get one that both heats and cools for better control

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
All my friends have Newairs and they have held up pretty well, though the one I was gifted crapped out. Go figure.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a Newair 300H . . . cooling and heating. The one they shipped to me first totally failed on the heating. They replaced it. If you are going this direction you will need a humidity device of some sort. I went with a cigar oasis backed up by heartfelt beads. I have two other humidors where I also use the heartfelt beads. They work very well for me.

The Newair seals very well. It has been months and I've not had to add an extra drop of distilled water. Frankly if Kent lived in the same zone as I did, his crapped out one would be a very good humidor. I'm in Canada and my spot for cigars is cold in the summer with the AC on and cold in the winter because . . . well it is cold in the basement.

The ceder shelves and drawers in the Newair are pretty darn nice.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The idea of massive back up beads in my case came from Joel. Joel is the founder of B&B and . . . well if there is a shortcut to figuring stuff out . . . follow him. (don't let him drive . . .)

My over stock of cigars usually went into my beer fridge, in zip locks 40 degrees no dehumidification.

But my 48 bottle wine fridge finally lost one side and after 10 years decided not to fix it and used it for cigars.
Living in florida, it maintains 75 degrees, no fan, and I use a half filled pipe tobacco tin full of beads.
I have a acurite humified gauge that i can access remotely and check daily, I keep it at 70 degrees humidity.
If it climbs a bit high , i open the door a few times and let some air out, or maybe put the cover on the tub of beads until it drop down a bit.
Easy to maintain, and I could store a ton of cigars in there. The temp in my house is 77 a/c on a lot, so it hasnt been a problem yet.

Here in Virginia we keep the house somewhere around 72 in the summer and 65 in the winter (at the extremes, if I am home it's 68 degrees, damn the bill). As such my coolerdor has done sufficient work keeping things moderated temperature wise stored in a closet against a central wall. The wine collection is in the same room and does well.

Several Florida friends tell me that I will be buying a Newair and a Vinotemp should I relocate to be down near them, as those temps aren't possible in the summer without being a billionaire.
:em2300:

I'm a regular cigar smoker (one a night after dinner) and I've used the Boveda packs for year with no issues. My humidor holds about fifty Churchills though so maybe too small for your tastes?

I've never considered anything larger though as this suits me.

Chris

The Newair comments aren't too encouraging re quality control and I assume that the other brands are pretty much the same. Best approach for me is probably a coolador stashed down in the basement or an insulated (but not heated) room in the top floor. I have radiant heat in all the floors, so I can't sit it down anywhere in the warmer parts of the house. Thanks for the feedback.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I see you are from NY. You might be in the same kinda zone that I am. I have a mostly finished basement but when nobody is in the space we don't heat it. In the summer it stays about 65 degrees as the cool air from air conditioning in the summer causes the basement to stay cold in the summer. In the winter heat rises so the basement is still below 70. Pretty much any box that seals nicely works given adding a Bovida or other humidity device.

I’ve had numerous mishaps with wineadors. Can’t recommend them any longer. I lost a few thousand dollars worth of Cubans to one recently.

Attachments

• 28B39024-57FB-43BC-84AB-E6A887F28C9A.jpeg
    28B39024-57FB-43BC-84AB-E6A887F28C9A.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 28
I use a tuppador with cedar trays from amazon.

I use boveda packs and i have steady humidity. It never fluctuates ever!

My collection is kept fresh year round.

Here are the links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’ve had numerous mishaps with wineadors. Can’t recommend them any longer. I lost a few thousand dollars worth of Cubans to one recently.

Dang, seeing that just makes me sad. Thanks for passing along the warning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Was it on the bottom? I had the same thing happen to a box of Cuaba’s.

I've decided that the electric humidors are not the answer for me. I'm thinking that I will build a piece of furniture that will enclose a coolador. I will want to keep it in an upstairs room (versus the somewhat cooler basement) for access, but have to raise it off of the radiant heated floor. Something along the lines of a top opening wooden chest on legs. At the moment I'm not smoking that often so don't need anything beyond one of my desktop humidors.

I have a Dunhill and absolutely love it! I did run across the Boveda humidor which seems nice.

I have two nice Savoy humidors and one of the small Boveda humidors that I bought when they first came out a few years ago. The dozen or so cigars that I have at the moment are in the Boveda because I didn't have to season it to get it ready. It's well made and looks good sitting out with the contents visible. I have several Boveda packs in it and am using their Butler unit to monitor humidity & temp. I don't want to keep too much on hand at the moment so this is a good solution. Probably won't get to the coolidor project until next year as I have other projects in motion and also have to get design approval from my wife who happens to be an interior designer. Just finished a built in wall of bookcases (14' long and 10' high) in the room that it will live in. Everything takes a lot longer than I would like.

Top Bottom