What's new

Dr. Bronners: Great brush cleanin' soap

A few weeks ago I picked up some Dr. Bronners Almond bar soap because I had seen it so many times at it was cheap at $3.50 a bar so said what the heck, I'll give it a try. I didn't like it as either a face or body soap, so put it away for another time/place. It seemed to do a really good job of cleaning but wasn't moisturizing or anything.

Then during a brush cleaning thread, someone mentioned using curd soap to clean brushes. I hate using vinegar, that stink seems to take forever to go away. I'm also no chemist, so have no idea if Castile soap and a curd soap are one and the same, but read in a few places that they might be similar so figured I'd use my Dr. Bronner's bar to give my Omega 11126 a bath since it had a white ring developing around the base after a few months of every-other-day usage. I always rinse it well and pump it into a cup with fresh running water to make sure its clean, but the crust still started to develop, hard water maybe, I don't know.

I'd also like to add that this Omega, man, this thing was the smelliest/stinkiest brush I've ever owned. I've officially shaved with this brush only 20 times but have done test-lathers, cleaned it in Dawn, even used a high water/to bleach mixture trying to de-stink the dang thing......but if you put your nose in it.....it still had a very mild funk to it, almost like it's still being haunted by the stink. Well wouldn't you know, giving it a bath in the Dr. Bronner's not only made it softer, cleared the crusty white ring, and lo and behold.....no more stink whatsoever. Just wanted to share my experience. If I ever get a new brush, it's getting a bath in Dr. Bronner's first, great stuff for cleaning brushes! The Almond aroma is very nice as well, seems a fitting scent for a brush somehow.

large_f11284f9-eceb-4377-a266-01394b07acba.jpg

Thanks, I will give this a try next time a clean my brushes. I never really cared for traditional shampoos for some reason.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Good to know that something works.

M

Member 113878

They make a shaving cream.
I read it’s quite runny.
Don’t know if it can be used with a brush.
upload_2019-9-4_20-9-34.png

I would use detergent body wash or shampoo as these are generally engineered for hard water. Clarifying shampoo (Suave) would be very good, for instance. I would be afraid that castile would produce alot of soap scum- in the past this is my experience with castile soap.

Top Bottom