What's new

Questions about the Merkur 34c

I've seen posts on the 34c all too often in my year and a half here. It seems to be a standard, and one I somehow skipped. Thinking I should pick one up at least to try.

I see some mentioned (especially on the Bay, where I'd likely shop...don't need new prices, lol) as a short handle, others as HD. All have the 34c moniker. Is there a difference or are they just different aspects of the same package?

I know there are other iterations with different names / numbers (34g for gold, a three piece version, etc) I'm just referring to razors labeled as 34c.

Thanks folks.

34 is the model number by Merkur, c stands for chrome plated zamak (g for gold plated).
The "name" HD was made up, I suppose by some early YT influencer from the US.
The Merkur 34 Models are short handled two-piece razors.

Personally, I would prefer the Models 42 or 33 over the 34, 'cause I don't like the thick short handle of the 34, but I already prefer the R89/DE89 over the Merkurs anyway, because IMHO and experience, the manufacturing quality of the Merkurs is mediocre at best. Shavewise I never noticed a difference besides a better maneuverability with the Mühle/EJ with my hands.

Last edited:
34 is the model number by Merkur, c stands for chrome plated zamak (g for gold plated).
The Merkur 34 Models are short handled two-piece razors.
That was what I figured... A nickname so to speak. Lol. Thanks. [emoji846]

While I have the HD (heavier handle), you will love the c or g.
I love mine and keep going back to it.
For the combination of clean, close, and comfortable shaving it is tough to beat.
I hope you enjoy many happy shaves.

I know there are other iterations with different names / numbers (34g for gold, a three piece version, etc) I'm just referring to razors labeled as 34c.
It probably got the HD post fix because the 34C weighs 78 grams whereas the 33C is only 57 grams; weights going by WCS information.
The 23C, 33C and 34C use the same head but the 34C and 34G (gold finish) are 2 piece razors whereas the others are 3-piece.
I find the 34C well balanced and easy to maneuver; you should try it.

The Merkur 34 Models are short handled two-piece razors...

Great explanation!!

IMO the 34C is a standard in the mild/moderate category: excellent value for the $. The only way to tell if it is for you is to give it a try (and you should)! :a14::a14:

Great explanation!!

IMO the 34C is a standard in the mild/moderate category: excellent value for the $. The only way to tell if it is for you is to give it a try (and you should)! :a14::a14:
Lol. Thanks. Yeah, I plan to remedy that error soon.

It's odd how I've never tried the De89 or 34, yet I've probably had at one point or another a good 20+ razors flow through my den. Weird. I guess I got caught up early in the new-fangled stuff then went to vintage Gillette, skipping the modern standards, so to speak.

I'll probably post to the BST, as Bay listings are too close to full price right now. It's common enough that I'll find it.

I promise I won't produce another thread reviewing it... Plenty of reviews exist already. This one is just for me to silently enjoy. [emoji16]

Lol. Thanks. Yeah, I plan to remedy that error soon.

It's odd how I've never tried the De89 or 34, yet I've probably had at one point or another a good 20+ razors flow through my den. Weird. I guess I got caught up early in the new-fangled stuff then went to vintage Gillette, skipping the modern standards, so to speak.

I'll probably post to the BST, as Bay listings are too close to full price right now. It's common enough that I'll find it.

I promise I won't produce another thread reviewing it... Plenty of reviews exist already. This one is just for me to silently enjoy. [emoji16]
I don’t think you’ll regret your acquisition.

What I like best about the Merkur 34 is the weight and balance. The "HD" came from the Heavy Duty name the razor got. It has some nice weight to it and I believe it's the best balanced razor of any. When you hold it in your hand it feels so natural. The other solid bar Merkur razors may have the same head but the 34 has the best weight and balance by far. One of the best razors ever made.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Merkur 34c is a great razor, you should try it.
There is also a 34 model (without the c) which is an older model and is quite rare. I have it too.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
proxy.php

I used a Merkur for about three years, then my wife used it before she switched to Schick injector. I still have a two piece Merkur that I lend to anyone curious about wet shaving. But my favorite Merkur was a three piece with a long and skinny black handle with barberpole knurling. Still have and use that handle after I discovered that parts on three piece razors are interchangable.

Maybe you want to consider an 37C Slant razor. You will get an comparable if not better shave from it then an 34C. That could be two additions in one razor.
Thanks, but I don't really need another razor to begin with. I am just going to grab a 34c to can I say I've used one.

As it is, I've sold / PIF'ed quite a few to clear up my den. I am now down to 8, I think. Maybe I should make a purchase contingent on getting rid of two more. Lol.

It's so sad... I went to the Bay looking for any new listings on Merkurs... Ended up buying a GEM bullet tip backup razor. Lol.

This is an expensive hobby, at least with me at the helm. [emoji23]

Top Bottom