What's new

What's the oldest pre-1925 razor you own and how does it shave?

My oldest razor is a 1907 Gem New Bar "lather catcher" razor.

I shaved with it this morning. It gives a fairly close and very comfortable shave. I get the impression it will never cut or nick me. I've owned it for 5 years, and use it maybe 5-10 times a year. I like lather catcher razors, as I don't have to rinse the razor so often. That is a convenience.

So what's your oldest pre-1925 razor, what do you like about it, and how does it shave?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That would be my "PAT. APL'D FOR" Double Ring that came from 1903 or 1904.

20190707_145503.jpg

I like that it's one of the earliest Gillette sand that it's in excellent condition (other than needing a serious polish). I also like it's weight and balance and feel. It's a fantastic shaver.

Brother Tex,

Wonderful specimen. I'm envious! Your Gillette set possibly is older than virtually anyone walking on Earth today, maybe 116 years old. If your razor could talk, what tales might it tell of its history and its owners?

On the green card, what is the word that is covered by a ribbon? The first word is "The" I think, and the other word is "Way" maybe?

I have several Gillette Old Types and I like their looks, but I find the shaves are a tad rough in spite of experimenting with angle and pressure. Any suggestions? And do you use a shim or two to replicate the original thicker blades?

So . . . who else has "an oldest pre-1925 razor," domestic or foreign?

I have two 1917s, one 1918 and one 1923 Old Type. I have used Lab Blues, Yellows and Kai blades. All have been smooth without modifications but I find the Lab Blue is best. The Old Types are close to the top of my best aside from my Gibbs Adjustables. I would have assumed you had a bent razor but you mentioned having several so I’m not sure what the issue could be for you. Really could be the blade choice. Try Lab Blue.

I also have a Spanish American War era USMC Straight but haven’t shaved with it yet. Want to get it honed first.

546C948A-92AE-4A0B-924F-704CC17D204F.jpeg
Pre McKinley Tariff 1890 Wade and Butcher (white bone) circa 1840 Wade and Butcher (horn) 1916 Single Ring, Gillette New Standard 1920???,

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My oldest Safety razor is what I believe is a 1902 Star Lather Catcher (Waits called it #14B) .. shaves pretty well with a modern splined GEM blade, though it is quite a bit lighter than my normal preference.

IMG_9324.JPG

My 1920ish Gillette Old Type. It shaves wonderfully on the aggressive side. I can't buff out areas but two pass will give a very close BBS.

My oldest is a ball end Old Type. How does it shave?

Like one of those World War 2 mine flail tanks that detonated landmines with rapidly spinning lengths of chain.

My oldest is my GEM lather catcher from around 1904. I enjoy using it, I find it works better with a shim under a regular GEM SS blade. First time I tried it was without one and I got some irritation. I'd like to get an old wedge blade for it and give that a try as well.
20190607_175650.jpg
20190607_175604.jpg

Ball end Old Type here, too. Tried it once. Did not dig it. Have not gone back. I'd actually like to move it on...

Old type, ball end, 1921. I’ve used it a couple times and found it has a lot of blade feel. It gives a close shave and little, if any, irritation. The blade feel is enough to make me pay close attention. No nicks at all, because it felt like it would bite, and so was wielded with great care.

I've got a few ball ends, a single ring, and a new improved. I do do prefer the thick cap OT over all of them.

My oldest razors of each format. Straight, SE, and DE.

The Gem 1912 and Gillette New LC (doesn't make your cut-off) both give great shaves. They are my main shavers.

The Blue Diamond No. 106/S. R. Droescher gives OK shaves, but I can't fault the razor in this case.

IMG_20190708_143031187.jpg

I have three razors in that fit and all of them are great shavers:

Ever Ready 1914
1915 Gillette Single Ring
1920 Gillette Single Ring

Top Bottom