What's new

Do you enjoy shaving?

I've just recently started using a DE within the last month and I can say I certainly enjoy it. Before that, I was using an electric razor and it felt like a chore when I needed to shave. Now I look forward to it! I hope that feeling never wears off.

Yes, I enjoy shaving now. Before I got into DE shaving a few months back, I was like you and many others and disliked shaving. It was a chore that I just did because I had to. It made my face feel awful and irritated sometimes, so obviously I wasn’t in rush to do it again the next day. But DE shaving is a lot more fun and customizable to the individual, so It’s become a welcome task now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a DE razor for most of my shaving life. I like the results, and the entire process (shower, shave) does add a zen-like 20 minutes to my day. I love the smooth results and the scents of all my soaps. But no, I don't quite quite enjoy it; several days can pass between shaves. I think enjoy is the wrong word for me. It's now a chore that I complete with some pleasure and satisfaction, but it's still a chore.

I always liked being clean shaven but I couldn't use my cart razor frequently. I used to shave every 3 days so as to avoid irritation. That way it was OK. During my army service, it was definitely not enjoyable.

Since I begun using a DE razor and a brush, I enjoy it and I am always looking forward to it.

I've been bingeing on razors, soaps, blades etc. for a year now and following this forum and ATG. I think my initial honeymoon period is starting to wane and I'm happy to shave every 2 days.

At this stage I need variety to keep my interest going. I've pretty much settled on 3 favourite DEs, a couple of GEMs, 3 favourite blades, and a good 26mm synth. So I can still rotate a little and I experiment with handles.

My main variety is 30 soaps, so when the hardware gets more predictable I can still look forward to a different artisan soap every shave. I'm very into scents and choosing one is always an interesting moment.

Serious question.

Do you enjoy actually enjoy shaving or is it something that’s simply a part or your daily routine and you just go along with it? And what made you lean towards either side?

Personally, my shaving journey has taken a turn for the better over the last few years. During my teens, i hated it and it felt like a chore. I would go days and sometimes even weeks without shaving. I hated how uncomfortable and dry my face felt afterwards, aftershave only seemed to make it worse as far as i was concerned.

As i moved into my 20s, i started disliking it less, but it became something that was a part of my routine without too much thought into it. Kind of like brushing your teeth. You just do it. I have some buddies in law enforcement here in Canada and they kind of feel the same way since they aren’t allowed to have beards.

Then recently I ditched my shaving gel for a shaving soap and brush, and i have started enjoying shaving to a point where i cant wait to get that sweet Proraso lather going every morning. Using the brush has made all the difference and sometimes i even have the urge to shave twice a day, but for the sake of my skin I resist it thankfully. This actually might be the reason why I haven’t even grown a beard or stubble in a while, which is something I would experiment with every now and then.

What about your people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I enjoy talking about shaving. LOL!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was not fussed years ago. It was a chore and had to be clean shaven in certain jobs that I had. It is fun now, not a chore and with all the different soaps and blades and razors etc that I now own I look forward to shaving every day.

Yes.
More so after I retired and have the time to enjoy the ritual.
I always shave at night, unless it's after a shower after mowing the lawn in the afternoon.

Had a party to go to on Friday evening. Thought that I might wait to shave until then, but I really felt like shaving in the morning. I went ahead and shaved telling myself that I could always shave again later if I felt like it. I did end up doing two three pass shaves that day without a bit of irritation. Two great shaves in one day!

Serious question.

Do you enjoy actually enjoy shaving or is it something that’s simply a part or your daily routine and you just go along with it? And what made you lean towards either side?...

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Hell YES!!!

DETAILS:
Until a couple years ago, I was one of those indifferent sorts; shaving was just something to be done. When I was in high school, I had a part-time job as a hospital orderly, and one of my duties as such was to do the shave preps on men who were scheduled for surgery the next morning. After having to shave a couple of really, really woolly gents from neck to ankles (knowing that if I nicked any part of the guy, the surgeon would loose his mind, find me at school the next day, and call an assembly to publicly accuse me of trying to kill his patient before shooting me down like a dog -- AND with the RN pressuring me to hurry the hell up), shaving my own face no longer seemed daunting. Also, though it's never been much to look at, my face has always accepted the razor without argument: no irritation, rashes, bumps or anything like that.

My one issue had always been that cartridges clogged up on me. I always had to keep a toothpick handy -- whittled very thin on one end -- to remove the accumulated crud several times during a shave. When carts got so expensive the supermarkets had to keep them locked up, I switched to less-expensive disposables. (Here's another question for Gillette/Schick/Etc.: Why is a cartridge permanently mounted to a handle less expensive than a cartridge alone with no handle?)

I discovered traditional shaving (and this fine community!) quite by accident. Just looking for information on brushes. Got a couple crappy ones at retail, and wanted to know if the problem was in the brush or the operator. Decided to try the DE thing, attracted mainly by the price-per-blade aspect. Thanks to the gents on B&B and a couple other similar communities, my dialing-in was brief and fairly inexpensive. I only have one rejected DE, which I gave to Mrs. Potrzebie to try, and she LOVES it! After two years of shaving with Feathers loaded into a Muehle R41 (which I still keep in reserve), I've made the switch to a Parker SRX. DE or shavette, shaving is a positive delight for me. Not sure why, and I'm not sure that the "why" is important. I enjoy it tremendously and I spend very little money on it, so I have no reason to question it, really.

I enjoy it. I enjoy whipping up lather with a brush, I enjoy having soaps and aftershaves of various scents and I love the art and skill of using a DE.
Honestly, if it were just something I had to do, Id probably use a disposable and some canned foam because it would be a lot easier, faster and cheaper.

sorry cheeper what planet are you from with the cost of cartridges now staring at £8 for four .

I've been enjoying shaving since '63, I consider it my "Me Time". The only time I haven't enjoyed it is when I used the Cartridge razors, got ingrowns and razor burn. Otherwise the ritual of the face soak prep, the building of a good lather and the shave itself is always enjoyable. A nice splash of the after shave and it's off to a good looking day. As my father taught me, "A gentleman is always well groomed, even in old work cloths"

When I joined the army I hated shaving. Once I got out I didn't mind shaving much. I would only shave once my beard got too unruly or I tired of the look. And then I would only shave 'til my package of blades ran out, 2 of which were consumed removing the beard.

Since starting shaving with DE and SE blades, I do enjoy shaving though. :)

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Yes, I enjoy shaving with my DE razor. The members at B and B got me into this hobby.

The DE blades these days are really good.

Let's see ... Aromatherapy, facial massage, hydrated and healthy skin, a little "me time", and I look and smell darned fine after my morning shave. What's not to like?

(I think I just described what my better half would call a "spa day". But my version is much, much less expensive.)

Yes, I love shaving from prep to post...

This pretty much sums it up - hated it with a passion with cartridges. Made the conversion to wet shaving with a DE and liked it. Now that I have a few different soaps/brushes/aftershaves so I can switch it up depending on what I feel like, I truly look forward to it.

Top Bottom