What's new

I have too many soaps!

Darn synthetic brushes do not eat much soap. OTOH, those 27mm boars can devour pucks with wild abandon.

Mac

I might need to go full "boar" to whittle my stash down.

Seriously I double load my brush. It is a good thing I am a head shaver and my wife is using my soaps. Hopefully this will help flush out my excess. I could always give someone a nice soap box for Christmas.

And I could become a body shaver.

Last edited:
I agree but I do need to get rid of some of my soaps especially the ones I've had the longest which I'm almost done with a few.

I'll be selling a few soaps in the near future too. Oh and btw I have around 85 soaps lol

Sir, there is no need for exaggeration. Too many is relative. There is no rule. Too many compared to what? You may *think* you have too many, but this is merely an opinion that can change with a bit of effort!

Build lather for 4 passes. I do 4 passes daily and since i started keeping statistical data, i saw that i consume 2-2.5ml/shave for cream and about 1g/shave for soap. This means, you can kill soaps faster than you would expect. Don't be stingy and shave every day with 4 passes.

I am of two minds on this issue. On the one hand I say too many soaps? No, there is always room for one more. On the other hand I say, running out of room to store your soaps? Buy a bigger cabinet, knock out a wall, hang more shelves, wear fewer socks. Come on, get imaginative. And on the other hand, get a box, load up some soaps you are prepared to part with, go to Walmart and buy all their Wilkinson Sword brushes and take these soaps and brushes to your local mens shelter and drop off a gift of soaps and brushes. Trust me, they will appreciate the donation. Then you can order more soaps and not feel guilty.

What is the quantity that qualifies as too many?

I just rationalize the number of soaps by telling myself that at some point in the distant future a non-yet-existent grandson will get to shave with some vintage soaps.
Ironically my daughter just told us she's pregnant with our first grandchild. I had the same thought - that one day I may be teaching and passing down my shaving collection to a grandson. I've already got my son in law DE shaving.

Sir, there is no need for exaggeration. Too many is relative. There is no rule. Too many compared to what? You may *think* you have too many, but this is merely an opinion that can change with a bit of effort!

Build lather for 4 passes. I do 4 passes daily and since i started keeping statistical data, i saw that i consume 2-2.5ml/shave for cream and about 1g/shave for soap. This means, you can kill soaps faster than you would expect. Don't be stingy and shave every day with 4 passes.
My face would hate me if I tried a 4th pass.

I have about 35 soaps and several samples and they all give me great shaves. With that said I have
certainly put a hiatus on buying new soaps and chasing the latest and greatest. I've been wet shaving
for about 3 years and have yet to finish a soap. I've slowed down but I'm sure I'll still be buying again
in the future.

I have 11. Too many probably. Using 1-2 in rotation until gone. Plan to get to rotation of four. MdC, tabac, wholly kaw, and mwf

I do 4 passes daily and since i started keeping statistical data, i saw that i consume 2-2.5ml/shave for cream and about 1g/shave for soap.
1g/shave means just over 3 tubs of most soaps per year if you shave every day. Not a whole lot of movement if you ask me. (Full disclosure: I manage to use an average of about 1.25 grams of soap a shave and shave an average of 6 days a week. I've still got about 8 years of soap ahead of me even if I don't buy another thing.)

1g/shave means just over 3 tubs of most soaps per year if you shave every day. Not a whole lot of movement if you ask me. (Full disclosure: I manage to use an average of about 1.25 grams of soap a shave and shave an average of 6 days a week. I've still got about 8 years of soap ahead of me even if I don't buy another thing.)

You 're right, but it helps using Haslinger (60g pucks). As a matter of fact, i just checked my data, i finished a 60g Haslinger in 50 shaves, so this would be 1.2g per shave.

Don't worry, i am pretty sure i have more than 8 years of soap ahead of me, but i stopped counting, it's bad for morale. :)

I have 13 soaps and as many creams. I felt I had too many with half as much, so who cares if it's 10 or 100, as long as you enjoy them. If it's about just shaving you don't need more than 1-2 in your den.

pish posh! There is no such thing. I have 21 and I don't think that I have enough. I never hesitate to buy a soap that catches my attention. Variety, after all, is the spice of life.
For the sake of 'variety', we all need to go buy Le Piment De La Vie (the spice of life). [emoji16]
proxy.php

I have 13 soaps and as many creams. I felt I had too many with half as much, so who cares if it's 10 or 100, as long as you enjoy them. If it's about just shaving you don't need more than 1-2 in your den.

Yes, besides, having a good stock can be advantageous. Arko and Derby creams have disappeared from the local market for...i don't know 6 months? 1 year? I don't know what's happening. Maybe they get discontinued? Luckily, i have a few of my favourite ones in my reserves. The same can be said for the tallow Haslinger, which i have enough for many years. And then some others i bought to round up figures to get free shipping or they were too good a price to pass, etc...

Worst case, some will go bad... Given than none of them is really expensive, who cares... If i had bought 20 MdC i would be more concerned, because it would be 20x60= 1200 EUR. If they went bad or lost scent, i would be upset.

Top Bottom